Raijintek Thetis: Another small ATX case

Yunokawa

What's an ITX?
Nov 15, 2017
I can't leave shit alone, and decided to hack out the rear fan grate tonight and use a standard 120mm wire grill to cover it. Should free up some air restriction for pulling air out through that 120mm radiator. I need all the help I can get there...

-- Dave

How hard was it to hack out? Only tools I have is a small rotary dremel. Maybe I can use some pliers to snip out the honeycomb grill?

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I have a battery operated jigsaw (dewalt) and it makes short work of thin metal like this. I just clipped out a corner so that I could get the blade in there and had it cut the rest of the way out in about 2 mins. I spent another 5 mins filing it perfectly square and smooth.

I'm probably going to hack out the bottom vent here in the near future...

fatboyslimerr

Case Bender
New User
Dec 1, 2018
I'm looking to do a build in this case (just have to decide between black and silver). I currently have an EVGA G2 750W, Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim (161mm height) and Pulse ITX 570 to fit in one. Should be plenty of room for cables and ssds due to short gpu.

Wondering if I do x3 intake fans, x1 rear exhaust fan and PSU fan off, if I need to even have a fan on the cpu cooler? Would be a lot of positive pressure and only one main way out of the case.

Really nice build @AcquaCow. The right angle PCIe power connector on the gpu is so cool and cutting out the rear fan mount grill was genius!

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Aah, I can finally see this, I didn't catch that you had re-uploaded it.

Good to see what the space looks like with the pump in there. I think I'm going to go with an EK MLC 120mm rad and pump at the back of the case with a 240mm rad up top. Should fit pretty well.

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
So my friend has this case with a Corsair HX1000 and I am trying to work out how people can plug in the power cable (pass through connector) to the psu since it presses right up against the edge...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I suppose, a 90-degree connector should do the trick.

I had a similar thought, it is just I saw some of the builds in here with HX850s and Evga 750 G3s, which I saw have similar plug locations, so I thought maybe people on here had other solutions.

fatboyslimerr

Case Bender
New User
Dec 1, 2018
@AcquaCow does your top 240 rad interfere with your front usb header? My header is in a similar position to yours and I ran the cable through the fans as you did. The connector looks like it would massively interfere with any radiator placed in the top.

Thanks

Cicciobello

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 29, 2018
Hi, I chose this case for my pc, i opted for a SFX PSU, I reversed the flow of fan, I hope I did not make a mistake :)

(I do not speak English, correct me if is necessary)

Reactions: anew742

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I would have a stupid question about Thetis : Are feet removable please?

Based on my last desktop setup I'm using my cerberus-x horizontally. i figured out that Thetis could also do it nicely with tempered glass as addition..:)

Wintermute

Cable Smoosher
Oct 25, 2018
I would have a stupid question about Thetis : Are feet removable please?

Based on my last desktop setup I'm using my cerberus-x horizontally. i figured out that Thetis could also do it nicely with tempered glass as addition..:)

IIRC, the feet are removable. In fact, I would advise replacing them for taller ones - with PSU exausting down and a fan mount and CPU cooler right next to it, this case should be raised high so it doesn't recycle hot air...

If you place it horizontally, like you're thinking of, it's not neccessary, ofcourse, but for normal orientation it might be benefitial.

@Cicciobello

If it works, if temperatures are good, then it's fine :)
But why this case for an ITX motherboard, why not Metis? Switching to ATX mobo soon?

I'm thinking of getting Thetis to replace my huge Define R4 until I upgrade the parts and switch to SFF. I already got the SFX PSU and I'm thinking of hooking it on the HDD tray above and cutting the fan hole below, where the PSU is normally placed, to have a straight airflow for the CPU. I don't know if my 240mm long GPU will fit next to SF600, though...
Perhaps is better not to touch anything, my current parts are not hot anyway (i5-4670K with bigass Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler and GTX 1060)...

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
IIRC, the feet are removable. In fact, I would advise replacing them for taller ones - with PSU exausting down and a fan mount and CPU cooler right next to it, this case should be raised high so it doesn't recycle hot air...

If you place it horizontally, like you're thinking of, it's not neccessary, ofcourse, but for normal orientation it might be benefitial.

@Cicciobello

If it works, if temperatures are good, then it's fine :)
But why this case for an ITX motherboard, why not Metis? Switching to ATX mobo soon?

I'm thinking of getting Thetis to replace my huge Define R4 until I upgrade the parts and switch to SFF. I already got the SFX PSU and I'm thinking of hooking it on the HDD tray above and cutting the fan hole below, where the PSU is normally placed, to have a straight airflow for the CPU. I don't know if my 240mm long GPU will fit next to SF600, though...
Perhaps is better not to touch anything, my current parts are not hot anyway (i5-4670K with bigass Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler and GTX 1060)...
Thanks for your fast reply

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Yeah, I have different feet than stock on mine to raise it an additional 1/2in for airflow at the bottom.

They just use a normal, long PSU bracket screw in them, nothing fancy.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I don't have any issues cooling my overclocked 5930k, overclocked ddr4, or overclocked 1080Ti in the Thetis.

nemesis429

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2016
I don't have any issues cooling my overclocked 5930k, overclocked ddr4, or overclocked 1080Ti in the Thetis.

Hey buddy,

I saw on your flickr you switched from Intel X540 to the Asus 10Gbe Ethernet Card. How comes, was looking at buying a 10Gbe card.

Sweet build!

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Hey buddy,

I saw on your flickr you switched from Intel X540 to the Asus 10Gbe Ethernet Card. How comes, was looking at buying a 10Gbe card.

Sweet build!
I stood up a 2nd hypervisor and wanted both my dual 10gig cards to be in my hypervisors.

The shorter 10gig card in my desktop also now exposes the heatsink for my ioDrive, which makes it a bit happier =)

On a side note, I'm now eyeing that new Q500 ATX case. It's a tad larger than this, but I think I can fit two 240mm rads in it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
On a side note, I'm now eyeing that new Q500 ATX case. It's a tad larger than this, but I think I can fit two 240mm rads in it.
According to Gamers Nexus that case has absolutely terrible airflow (the "vented" panels consist of far more steel than actual holes), so unless you have very low cooling needs or are willing to cut holes in the side panels you'd probably want to stay away from that one.