Raijintek Thetis: Another small ATX case

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
looks to me that with a SFX psu , one could squeeze a 240mm rad on the bottom....

then take out the caddy, put the res+pump there, another 240mm on top, and a SLI Matx..... profit.

Personally, I'd move the PSU to above the CPU. There's literally NOTHING on the front panel, so that could be cut out and you could drop a 240mm rad on the front and the top no problem and still fit full-length GPUs.

It would suck to have to pull the PSU every time you wanted to mess with DRAM, or the CPU... and you'd be forced to water cool the CPU at that point, could never air-cool again.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Personally, I'd move the PSU to above the CPU. There's literally NOTHING on the front panel, so that could be cut out and you could drop a 240mm rad on the front and the top no problem and still fit full-length GPUs.

It would suck to have to pull the PSU every time you wanted to mess with DRAM, or the CPU... and you'd be forced to water cool the CPU at that point, could never air-cool again.
Lol all you are saying is like make a huge mod to this case..:)

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I may just find a laser cutter somewhere and have someone cut out a 120mm vent in the top front of the case, then I can easily fit a 240mm, and two 120mm radiators and still have the same cooling.

That's a much simpler mod, doesn't require moving any parts.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I can't leave shit alone, and decided to hack out the rear fan grate tonight and use a standard 120mm wire grill to cover it. Should free up some air restriction for pulling air out through that 120mm radiator. I need all the help I can get there...

-- Dave

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
That turned really clean in the end as far as I am concerned. Bonus points for taping off what looks like a fully built system and hacking away! Also extra credit for using the Ads for power tools and saw blades for containment.

So are you seeing some better temps on the CPU post mod or a noise reduction? Both?

Reactions: royalba94

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I'm seeing about 5C cooler at idle on the 120mm CPU radiator (NZXT x31).

I went a step farther and scanned in the grate and loaded it into photoshop. Converted it to black/white and then did a count of the black pixels vs count of the whole image filled with white pixels.

Turns out that grate blocks ~40% of the air space behind the fan.

Now I just have to figure out if I'm adventurous enough to trace the curve of the new grill and cut out some of the round parts, but that's a lot harder to do cleanly compared to what I just did. Square holes are cake, big round holes are hard to cut.

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I'm also a bit OCD about the square holes, so at some point I may upgrade to something beefy like this in black:

Or something cheaper like this:

Last edited:

Heinrich

Case Bender
Dec 17, 2017
Really liking what you are doing here. I'm scheming a 5ghz 8700k video editor in a reasonably small footprint and this gives a lot to think about.

Some folks have had success with air-cooling that configuration in a slightly larger case - a Silverstone KL06B, which provides unobstructed front-to-back airflow. Seems like watercooling would be necessary in the Thetis but that a single 120mm block is sufficient.

What is your CPU? Are you overclocking? Did I miss that?

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
What is your CPU? Are you overclocking? Did I miss that?
5930K, currently overclocked at 4.0GHz.

I utilize c-states/speedstep/c6/c7 states to keep idle power and temps low. CPU maxes out at 75C right now on the 120mm radiator running prime95. This is at 1-1.1V max vcore.

rudo

What's an ITX?
Dec 18, 2017
is it possible to instal asus rampage VI x299 (small eatx 27.7 cm) (atx=24.4cm) with an Silverstone psu800watt sfx-L SX800-LTI (63.5mm) in raijintek thetis? normal psu is 85mm.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
is it possible to instal asus rampage VI x299 (small eatx 27.7 cm) (atx=24.4cm) with an Silverstone psu800watt sfx-L SX800-LTI (63.5mm) in raijintek thetis? normal psu is 85mm.
I have an asus x299 deluxe motherboard with a seasonic 850w focus in mine and no issues. If it is an e-atx motherboard I would say no but if you use a sf psu maybe? You would have to test it out and see

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
EATX would probably fit if you moved the PSU somehow... a custom ATX to SFX PSU bracket to move the PSU higher over the mobo might work out... depends on mobo connectors and their height under the PSU spot. You can see how tight my normal ATX to PSU fitment was.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Hmm, I feel like hacking more things up this week, but I'm not sure what.

Been trying to figure out how much an SFX PSU adapter would offset the PSU away from the front panel. I don't think it's enough to fit a slim 240mm radiator, but it just might.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Why not relocate an sfx psu on front panel, at gpu level, this will free bottom space
You mean just adhere it to the front panel, or possibly drill mounting holes through to fix it in place?

Not sure how to get the heat out, unless I could get the hole pattern correct and have the PSU vent facing out the front.

That would be interesting.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Hmm, just measured, I could mount a 120mm silverstone SFX PSU to the front, just below the GPU. I'd reverse the fan so that it blows out, and there's just enough room to fit a 240mm radiator and fans under it along the bottom.

The PSU would be mounted to the front via the fan mounting holes with some long fan screws.

I'd probably have to buy a spare case for that mod though, as I can't have the downtime with this system for cutting that many holes and test-fitting.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Your future layout is very interesting.
Please also consider option sfx-l as it will reduce noise.