craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Ah sweet project. I'm a big fan of TEC coolers. I had a 437w Wintsch Labs waterblock and peltier in Project Rogue. It cooled like you wouldn't believe...

craigbru

LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Oh wow, I'm glad you like it! :) I like those results!

Yeah, I do like it. I've still got the block, but I last used it in 2010. My motherboard decided it no longer wanted to live, and since the Rogue was designed with a certain motherboard in mind, it wasn't feasible to reconfigure. I couldn't RMA either, due the liberal use of waterproofing and dielectric grease. I do toy with the thought of using it in something else, but it would result in a larger build than I currently need. Not to mention they are horribly inefficient at the larger wattage's. That said, a use like yours just might be perfect.

Edit: For reference, the Wintsch Labs block below.

Last edited:

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Woah, dude, this project is absolutely amazing! I never had really known what a TEC/Peltier cooler was before I looked at this thread, and just went and read the guide @AleksandarK linked as well as some videos online. From what I can see, it looks incredibly interesting - very low temps while maintaining a compact footprint. To clarify - you plan to sandwich a Peltier between the CPU and Hot loop? I only have a very rudimentary idea of how this works, but it is fascinating nonetheless. Also, do you plan to use a Peltier on a GPU as well? Excited to see how this turns out!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Woah, dude, this project is absolutely amazing! I never had really known what a TEC/Peltier cooler was before I looked at this thread, and just went and read the guide @AleksandarK linked as well as some videos online. From what I can see, it looks incredibly interesting - very low temps while maintaining a compact footprint. To clarify - you plan to sandwich a Peltier between the CPU and Hot loop? I only have a very rudimentary idea of how this works, but it is fascinating nonetheless. Also, do you plan to use a Peltier on a GPU as well? Excited to see how this turns out!
Thank you very much! I'll clarify once I'm home :) I need to make a diagram of my loop to show you and everyone else - should be in a few hours!

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Edit: For reference, the Wintsch Labs block below.

Ah thanks! That helps :) Went hunting for a spec sheet to get an idea of what it was - guess I was looking at the wrong one. That really is a beautiful piece of hardware.

To clarify - you plan to sandwich a Peltier between the CPU and Hot loop?
-snip-
Also, do you plan to use a Peltier on a GPU as well?
I'm actually planning on running a cold loop in conjunction with the hot loop. That will allow all of the water cooled components to share in the improved temperatures - specifically allowing the use of full-cover blocks for the GPU and Motherboard.

It also means that I can ensure the T.E.C. (or Peltier, I'm really not that picky :) ) modules are clamped with optimum pressure to their own water blocks - without risking damage from overtightening to any of the components in the loop. I have a rudimentary flow diagram drawn up here:

-EDIT-

I forgot to mention that Acrylic blocks have a tendency to crack when exposed to extreme temperature differentials. That's part of why I'm having the controller mediate the temperature :)

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
How big is that radiator?
I'll be experimenting with that :) Because I'm also going to be designing a case around all this and I'm trying to keep it under a certain size we're going to have to wait and see. The case will of course be a test-bed for this and will have to support multiple configurations. Last I looked at my plans for it, anywhere from a 120mm Rad and an SFX-L PSU, up to a dual Slim 240mm Radiators with a 1U/Flex-ATX psu. The later option would also allow the cold-side of the loop to have its own radiator and blow that across the hot-side's rad. I'm not sure if that would help things, but it might provide interesting data.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Quick Little Update
I managed to get the resistive touchscreen to work! :) I'm still working on the code to get it mapped to the proper orientation, but that's just a matter of time. Then I'll be able to get the buttons mapped properly and start implementing the UI functionality. Meanwhile, Elecrow says my PCB's are still in production so I have some time before I get to re-attach my sensors.

Thanks for all the support!

craigbru

LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I googled.
I found your (dormant?) blog.
I googled more.
I found your [H] Thread.
It took me forever to find.

And for posterity:​

Yeah, that's it. I'm surprised you found anything blog related. There may be a few postings out there, but the original Losias.net and forums like [H] and B-T were where most of the action took place.

Lol, I supposed that could be the case. At the time (8-9 years ago), it was very much an exercise in excess. I crammed so many concepts into that mod, it was at that point I decided to only build scratch from there on out. I realized what I really wanted to do, wasn't something that could be built within the confines of someone else's case. The Rogue case was supplied to me by NZXT, and at the time was only one of a couple in existence, and as such, I was told no replacement parts were available should I need them. Lol, no pressure, right?

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, that's it. I'm surprised you found anything blog related. There may be a few postings out there, but the original Losias.net and forums like [H] and B-T were where most of the action took place.
Haha I managed to read posts 2-20 :) Couldn't navigate to post 1, and was left on a cliffhanger so I searched fervently for a forum topic. Pretty sure that's the only image left hosted.

-EDIT-

I crammed so many concepts into that mod, it was at that point I decided to only build scratch from there on out

I'm starting to have the same sentiment, but I do find doing a mod vs doing a scratch build to be much more relatable to more casual observers. They can see the original vs the modified, but the closest to that you can get when you build from scratch is comparing it to other scratch builds! :) Honestly I think there's room for both.

craigbru

LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Haha I managed to read posts 2-20 :) Couldn't navigate to post 1, and was left on a cliffhanger so I searched fervently for a forum topic. Pretty sure that's the only image left hosted.

Ah, yes. That site was run by a co-moderator from my time at the old Sudhian site. He started the blog and asked if I'd post content there as well. He decided to abandon it, so I stopped posting and focus on more active sites.

At that time, all my project log pics were hosted on imageshack, which now makes them pretty incomplete. It was about that time I started my own imagehost so I wouldn't have to deal with dead image links any longer.

If you want to see some of the progress, as well as some of the old Losias site, check below.

http://craigbru.losias.net/category/project-rogue/

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah, yes. That site was run by a co-moderator from my time at the old Sudhian site. He started the blog and asked if I'd post content there as well. He decided to abandon it, so I stopped posting and focus on more active sites.

At that time, all my project log pics were hosted on imageshack, which now makes them pretty incomplete. It was about that time I started my own imagehost so I wouldn't have to deal with dead image links any longer.

If you want to see some of the progress, as well as some of the old Losias site, check below.

http://craigbru.losias.net/category/project-rogue/

Awesome! :)