(scratch build) project "Tall boy"

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016

Who am I?

I'm a first year student product development with a highschool diploma of electromechanics and have an interest in pc's

Why am I building this case?:

Obviously to build a pc in it (parts suggestions are welcom)

Inspired by @Selectivereviews , She loved E and @Jeffinslaw I designed my own case.

Because I did not find anything I that suited my needs and demands, So not wanting to buy and completely modify an existing case I decided to make my own from scratch.

(because it is less work and cheaper then modifying an existing one)

What can the case hold?:

-2 240mm radiators (30mm thick and 25mm fans)

-up to a 3 slot gpu with max length of 310mm (so gtx titan z and R9 295x2 will fit)

-itx motherboard

-2 2,5" ssd's or hdd's (and a m.2 ssd on the back of the motherboard if supported)

-up to sfx-L psu ( sfx will fit too)

-pump and cpu block combo

First sketches:

Modelling:

After the first sketches everything was modelled (and almost everything altered)

As the result of the modelling: a few 1080p renders:

Production:

I have already found a manufacturer for this project and submitted my design, now I'm waiting for the finished product.

ALL comments, suggestions and other are welcom

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's a nice design, I like it. Tower builds (not the ATX "towers") have always had my interest, ever since Apple's PowerMac G4 Cube and later Silverstone's FT03-MINI. This is a nice layout of the tower concept, I'm curious to see the end result ! Keep us posted !

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I swear I've seen a very similar case layout before... but inverted, with the I/O on the bottom. Is there a reason you chose to put that at the top?

Other than the vent pattern, this is quite nice looking. The bare front is especially striking.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
It's a nice design, I like it. Tower builds (not the ATX "towers") have always had my interest, ever since Apple's PowerMac G4 Cube and later Silverstone's FT03-MINI. This is a nice layout of the tower concept, I'm curious to see the end result ! Keep us posted !
Thanks, it's inspired by the ft03 mini but more optimised for watercooling

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
I swear I've seen a very similar case layout before... but inverted, with the I/O on the bottom. Is there a reason you chose to put that at the top?

Other than the vent pattern, this is quite nice looking. The bare front is especially striking.
Yes i've als seen these ( grabcat is where I thought I saw them) but I have put the io on top for them to be more accessable. And so the gpu is more securely mounted.

An as for the vent patter I know, in the original plan these ventholes would not be possible to see but I changed this to save on manufacturing cost.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
I really like this design. However I don't think the wood top panel fits with the aesthetics of the rest of the case.
Yea in this render it did not come uit the way I plannen it, I had planned for it to look like dark oak or walnut and the rest of the case anodised aluminium to fit my macbook :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Normally I instantly find something to criticise or at least point out on a case design, but this time I'm out of luck.

Lovely aesthetic, sensible design decisions, clever layout, straight-forward component installation, good use of space, accurate implementation of design goals.

One thing that I would like to know is whether you considered turning the case around to have most cables (except the power chord) exiting at the bottom.

It looks like there is zero clearance between the front and side panels, so the small gap between them is not visible in the renderings, it looks like they're made from the same piece of metal.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how it turns out, I certainly like it how it is right now.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
@iFreilicht First of all thanks for the confidence boost :D,
Further I do not plan on turning the internal layout upside down because of io accessability.
And fot the panels I have chosen to (in the model) make them seemless so that the endresult only has an 0,2mm gap between the panels (at least in theory)

and for @Tek Everything this is more how I would like the wood to look:

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Good News!
The case finnally arrived today!

That being said there are some minor setbacks I had not accounted for, being the heat of the laser :/
This caused some bending of the side panels and some heat burns around the cuts.

So I will have to paint the case or sand it down and get it anodised again.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That being said there are some minor setbacks I had not accounted for, being the heat of the laser :/
This caused some bending of the side panels and some heat burns around the cuts.

So I will have to paint the case or sand it down and get it anodised again.

Aww too bad, the pieces look lovely the way they are.

If they have to get anodised again, does that mean that they were anodised before cutting? Because that seems like a bad idea.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very nice! I'm curious on why there's burn marks too.

How much did it cost you?

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
yes the unfortunatly the pieces where anodise on one side before manufcturing and they put that side up to prevent scratching from the tools but this resulted in burn marks so Yea..

And for the price I can't realy tell because i got student price, so when i goes into production the price will be much higher.