Concept My first case design, Water Cooled

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
I would go into modding if I could... Being 15 years old, I don't really know where to start or how to get the tools I would need, not to mention, money is not unlimited.

Building a proper case from scratch requires more skills, more tools and more money than modding an existing one. The more you go into modding, the more cases you disect, the more you learn about the notion of case design, the how and the whys. You can't really skip it. Well, you can, but then you will learn these things the very hard way, by your own mistakes on your own expense.

That modding would need some plastic sheets, a drill and some tapping and a rotary cutter. For starters, for ~$120 you can get a digital caliper, a hammer, a pair of plyers, some scredrivers, a set of hex keys, a tap and a Dremel tool with bits to do the drilling an the cutting. Add a little more to get a vice and maybe a work table. There, you have a very basic workshop. You can also go for used stuff. Not as good as the new, but perfect for learning.

You will need to learn how to measure, cut, drill, tap, and bend. You can't do any of these properly without the right tools. On more advanced builds, you will need to mill, lathe or weld. You can learn to use them sooner or later, but in order to do nice builds, you need to do it. As you go on, you will start to understand each basic tool. Then you will be able to buy better, more specialized tools to update and improve your workshop.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
I would go into modding if I could... Being 15 years old, I don't really know where to start or how to get the tools I would need, not to mention, money is not unlimited.
depends on what quality you are aiming for and if you want to mass produce it..
I hand built this case https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/apex-15l-portable-watercooled-build.1394/ a while back with pretty much nothing but a hacksaw and access to a lasercutter (which is pretty much everywhere if you google), for the amount of panels that ive cut including the failed ones costed me around $60, and the aluminum extrusions were around $70, which tbh wasnt that expensive, but i did put quite a bit of time into it

Reactions: Biowarejak

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Could always build a prototype out of mdf first.
Yep. MDF is quite ideal, however even more lowcost, Card & Masking tape. Corrugated card can be a bit tricky to work with, I personally don't like it, so I'd probably just go for plain card. Although you can't actually support any of the weight of components in card (easily) whereas you can with MDF.

If I were you, I'd do the digital draw ups, if you can get the physical components before making the case, that's more ideal, and I'd then do a card prototype first, then a MDF one.

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
For quick tests I usually use expanded PVC sheets. You can cut it with a simple razor blade, "drill" it with a screwdriver, bend it with some hot air (move it over a gas stove for some secs then bend it on a desk's edge). If designed well, the structure from this can be quite sturdy, too.

For example, at this moment, I use one for the baseplate of my motherboard. I drilled the right size holes at the proper points and simply forced the motherboard standoffs into them. The 4 standoffs in the plastic sheet hold the motherboard with the cooler and stuff hanging sideways in the case just fine.

Last edited:

Mince

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 18, 2017
www.youtube.com
depends on what quality you are aiming for and if you want to mass produce it..
I hand built this case https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/apex-15l-portable-watercooled-build.1394/ a while back with pretty much nothing but a hacksaw and access to a lasercutter (which is pretty much everywhere if you google), for the amount of panels that ive cut including the failed ones costed me around $60, and the aluminum extrusions were around $70, which tbh wasnt that expensive, but i did put quite a bit of time into it
wow a lot cheaper than I thought. Thanks for the info :)

Yep. MDF is quite ideal, however even more lowcost, Card & Masking tape. Corrugated card can be a bit tricky to work with, I personally don't like it, so I'd probably just go for plain card. Although you can't actually support any of the weight of components in card (easily) whereas you can with MDF.

If I were you, I'd do the digital draw ups, if you can get the physical components before making the case, that's more ideal, and I'd then do a card prototype first, then a MDF one.
Might try that soon

Building a proper case from scratch requires more skills, more tools and more money than modding an existing one. The more you go into modding, the more cases you disect, the more you learn about the notion of case design, the how and the whys. You can't really skip it. Well, you can, but then you will learn these things the very hard way, by your own mistakes on your own expense.

That modding would need some plastic sheets, a drill and some tapping and a rotary cutter. For starters, for ~$120 you can get a digital caliper, a hammer, a pair of plyers, some scredrivers, a set of hex keys, a tap and a Dremel tool with bits to do the drilling an the cutting. Add a little more to get a vice and maybe a work table. There, you have a very basic workshop. You can also go for used stuff. Not as good as the new, but perfect for learning.

You will need to learn how to measure, cut, drill, tap, and bend. You can't do any of these properly without the right tools. On more advanced builds, you will need to mill, lathe or weld. You can learn to use them sooner or later, but in order to do nice builds, you need to do it. As you go on, you will start to understand each basic tool. Then you will be able to buy better, more specialized tools to update and improve your workshop.
I am still hesitant to mod since the case is a $250 case. If I had some practice and was skilled enough I would.

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
I am still hesitant to mod since the case is a $250 case. If I had some practice and was skilled enough I would.

I always do a mockup from cardboard and/or plastic and practice on that. Sometimes I buy cheap 2nd hand cases for like $0-$5 and hack them up for practice, too. Only when I'm totally confident, I start the mod. Practically 90% preparation and 10% actual work on the real thing.
Nobody started out with a perfect skill set. The road to good stuff leads through countless failed and crappy builds.

My complete C4 case build with an excess number of plates and 3D printed parts costed around $150. So yeah, it is not that expensive.

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Nobody started out with a perfect skill set. The road to good stuff leads through countless failed and crappy builds.
Well, us Product Design students have a slight bonus. :p
Even with the best skill set on the planet though, Murphy's Laws are not exempt for you. Preparation can never be averted.

Reactions: Mince

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
Well, us Product Design students have a slight bonus. :p

Yeah, like in every aspects of life, the right education can make things a lot easier. Bottom line is, not even Product Design students were born with the modding and building skill. They, too, had to spend time, money and effort to learn the tricks of the trade.