Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Will you ever consider out-of-the-box flex atx psu support ??

We now seem to have 500w in the form factor :D

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Will you ever consider out-of-the-box flex atx psu support ??

We now seem to have 500w in the form factor :D

I've been considering it, but to support it "out of the box", it would have to grow by a solid .4L, which put it in too close to the Sentry/Dancase.

The other issue is the more powerful one is 160mm or longer in length, which means it gets really tight build inside the chassis, since you have to provide clearance for the AC cord in the rear as well enough space to deal with the cable mess.

I'll have to continue to look into it, as I don't want to take it off the list. Note, I can aways retro-actively add support via 3d printed brackets, and cables.

The other thing is, I don't want to get too much into it, is there is a 400W PSU that I'm planning. Since everything is low production run, mine has to be... a lil' special. ;) or else I won't have margin to compete against the big boys.

What flex unit are you considering?

(adding some basic GPU compatibility)

Last edited:
Reactions: renecop545

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I've been considering it, but to support it "out of the box", it would have to grow by a solid .4L,

What flex unit are you considering?

couple from amazon - athenapower 400w & fsp group 400w ones
Per the PSU area specified in your 1st post - they should fit dimensionally, but will require a cutout for the power cord

Why do you think you will need to increase the case size ??

EDIT:
If you can offer support - the psu cost will drop dramatically to ~$100, which makes the case that much more attractive from the overall price point

Last edited:

HFoletto

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2019
This looks amazing, congrats on the design!

May I ask, what are the options regarding PSU?
Will it fit a HDPlex 400W nanoATX Combo?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
couple from amazon - athenapower 400w & fsp group 400w ones
Per the PSU area specified in your 1st post - they should fit dimensionally, but will require a cutout for the power cord

Why do you think you will need to increase the case size ??

EDIT:
If you can offer support - the psu cost will drop dramatically to ~$100, which makes the case that much more attractive from the overall price point

The FSP one looks like it may fit.

But the basic way to add standard PSU support is to use a C13 power entry extender, and to plug an AC power cord into the PSU. The issue is two fold:

1. If I use a C13 power entry, i have to add some width to the case to fit it in, approximately 5mm.

2. The right angle AC cord that plugs into the flex unit, are usually fairly bulky, taking up about 25mm. 150mm PSU lenghth + 25mm clearance for AC cord + 5mm breathing room, you're at 180mm already. This means the area in front of the PSU for cabling is VERY tight, right up against the GPU.

I'm going to continue exploring it. If I can get some low profile right angle AC cord made, It is a possibility.

This looks amazing, congrats on the design!

May I ask, what are the options regarding PSU?
Will it fit a HDPlex 400W nanoATX Combo?

Yes. It will fit HDPLEX 400W. You will need NFC's skywires to keep the cable clutter down though.

It will also fit the J-HACK 400W unit I'm working on.

HFoletto

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2019
Yes. It will fit HDPLEX 400W. You will need NFC's skywires to keep the cable clutter down though.

It will also fit the J-HACK 400W unit I'm working on.

That's awesome!

Looks like this is a dream case for me, subscribed to the thread and really excited for more news about it, keep that great work going!

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
The FSP one looks like it may fit.

But the basic way to add standard PSU support is to use a C13 power entry extender, and to plug an AC power cord into the PSU. The issue is two fold:

1. If I use a C13 power entry, i have to add some width to the case to fit it in, approximately 5mm.

2. The right angle AC cord that plugs into the flex unit, are usually fairly bulky, taking up about 25mm. 150mm PSU lenghth + 25mm clearance for AC cord + 5mm breathing room, you're at 180mm already. This means the area in front of the PSU for cabling is VERY tight, right up against the GPU.

Understood - maybe offer the flex psu compatibility with short/mini style GPU only - those are 170mm long i believe ??

HFoletto

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2019
I'm going to continue exploring it. If I can get some low profile right angle AC cord made, It is a possibility.

I once saw a very low profile right angle ac cord on a chinese forum, check this out
https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1955925-1-1.html

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm not sure what everyone is worried about there

I wouldn't be comfortable with 750w going through that thing.

750W/120V = 6.25A. A single mini-fit JR terminal can handle up to 9A in comparison. This looks like 2 18AWG silver plated wiring. If you're in the EU, it would be carrying a miniscule 3.13A. I really double he's using it at 750W. Most people have 500W builds on the high end, so 4.1A at most in America, and about 2A in China/EU.

To give you a scale, those dingy 90-120W 12V bricks are doing 8-10A and most USB fast chargers are doing 2.5A and your PCIE 8pin does 4A per lead.

Last edited:

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
I'm not sure what everyone is worried about there

750W/120V = 6.25A. A single mini-fit JR terminal can handle up to 9A in comparison. This looks like 2 18AWG silver plated wiring. If you're in the EU, it would be carrying a miniscule 3.13A. I really double he's using it at 750W. Most people have 500W builds on the high end, so 4.1A at most in America, and about 2A in China/EU.

To give you a scale, those dingy 90-120W 12V bricks are doing 8-10A and most USB fast chargers are doing 2.5A and your PCIE 8pin does 4A per lead.

I mentioned 750w because that build is using an SF750. I agree with you; I doubt the build uses more than 500w. However, if it's coming close to the PSU's capacity, that 18g wire is getting nice n toasty.

Edit: just re-read your post and zoomed into the photo. Didn't catch that it has two wires per terminal. Shouldn't get too toasty afterall.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I noticed the PSU zone is only going to allow for around 160mm, but the HDPLEX 400w is 180mm. Is this more designed for use with the Mean Well RPS-400-12 which is only 130mm?

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I noticed the PSU zone is only going to allow for around 160mm, but the HDPLEX 400w is 180mm. Is this more designed for use with the Mean Well RPS-400-12 which is only 130mm?

Hey thanks for bringing that up. I'll have to do a couple checks to see if I can mess with the layout a bit more. It may be that you need a dynamo kit to use the hdplex 400 and a reference length gpu, and a 210 length with the hdplex 400 Ac-dc. It is also possible to move the psu, since the hdplex is only 60mm in width, and it'll fit with the hdplex 400 dcatx behind it.

Note, I plan on finalizing a 400W itx psu platform soon, targeting to replace with this unit.