Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Hey thanks for bringing that up. I'll have to do a couple checks to see if I can mess with the layout a bit more. It may be that you need a dynamo kit to use the hdplex 400 and a reference length gpu, and a 210 length with the hdplex 400 Ac-dc. It is also possible to move the psu, since the hdplex is only 60mm in width, and it'll fit with the hdplex 400 dcatx behind it.

Note, I plan on finalizing a 400W itx psu platform soon, targeting to replace with this unit.

Will the PSU be seperate? I saw a video by Josh of him unpacking the Pure, and it seemed to come with the power button and Mean Well RPS-200-12 along with a bunch of other custom length cables for it. Is this case going to be like that? I really liked the custom cabling and the way that little Mean Well looked in the Pure, i think I'd prefer to just have a Mean Well and some custom cables bundled with this case.

HFoletto

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2019
I noticed the PSU zone is only going to allow for around 160mm, but the HDPLEX 400w is 180mm. Is this more designed for use with the Mean Well RPS-400-12 which is only 130mm?

I actually think it might fit since the mini-itx board is 170mm, and there's some extra space because of the PCie riser clearance from both sides. However we also need some clearance for the cables from both sides of the HDPLEX AC 400w.
The problem I see with the Mean Well 400W unit is that it has a bigger width, 86mm compared to the 58mm of the HD Plex AC 400W.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I actually think it might fit since the mini-itx board is 170mm, and there's some extra space because of the PCie riser clearance from both sides. However we also need some clearance for the cables from both sides of the HDPLEX AC 400w.
The problem I see with the Mean Well 400W unit is that it has a bigger width, 86mm compared to the 58mm of the HD Plex AC 400W.

Don't forgot that top corner has a bulgin switch sticking into that area which will interfere with where the PSU can be placed.

Honestly I'm fine with the Mean Well RPS-400-12 bundled with a pico style 24pin DC/DC connector and the distro 400 dc/dc board.

Reactions: jaro

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

The width is fine. A reference length gpu is 270mm. Subtract the motherboard and you get 100mm worth of width to play with.

There is about total lengthwise 190mm of clearance, but about 20mm of is taken up by the power switch. The power switch is in the best location right now.

You have about 37mm worth of width to play with the hdplex 400 dcatx. This might be enough to use the dcatx on the front of chassis. The KMPKT 360 is sure to fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFoletto

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Don't forgot that top corner has a bulgin switch sticking into that area which will interfere with where the PSU can be placed.

Honestly I'm fine with the Mean Well RPS-400-12 bundled with a pico style 24pin DC/DC connector and the distro 400 dc/dc board.

The hdplex is a tried and true psu, so I pretty much need to support it in some fashion. Likely will place the hdplex closer to the motherboard and let user play with the area in front.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Thehack I really appreciate you stickin to your guns on keeping this as small as possible. So often i see other guys on this forum trying to make a case and with every little compromise the case gets bigger and bigger and bigger until it's not really SFF anymore. Reminds me of when Josh first introduced the S4M.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack I really appreciate you stickin to your guns on keeping this as small as possible. So often i see other guys on this forum trying to make a case and with every little compromise the case gets bigger and bigger and bigger until it's not really SFF anymore. Reminds me of when Josh first introduced the S4M.

Thanks.

It's really a big balancing act of looks and component support. If you get too big the big players will eat you up or your design gets ripped off. Too small or specialized you risk not enough buyers to make a batch.

And making it pretty costs volume. I can shave off 0.14L if I use a two piece design instead of 3 piece.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Thanks.

It's really a big balancing act of looks and component support. If you get too big the big players will eat you up or your design gets ripped off. Too small or specialized you risk not enough buyers to make a batch.

And making it pretty costs volume. I can shave off 0.14L if I use a two piece design instead of 3 piece.

All in one PSU in there would be wonderful - hoping your concept comes through

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
This is perfect for what I am looking for.
I have a reference sized GPU
But I don't need internal PSU or cooling as I would be running a brick and 2 480mm external radiators :D

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
What kind of madman setup is this? Do you have pictures?

HAHA
Nope, its currently in an ncase m1 with 2 240mm rads internal.
Closest picture I have to the setup I am looking to run is with a 240 in the bottom, 92mm in the rear and a 480 external under the desk.

I went away from that though, as above currently running 2 x 240mm rads and is self contained as its big enough to do so.

But if I can get something truly tiny for the desk that can fit a full sized gpu, then I would happily run external with quick releases.