Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
So.

What are your thoughts on anodized (S4M, Dancase) vs powder coat?

In general the powder coat I find to be more fingerprint resistant for dark colors, overall tougher. Matte looks very low key. Semimatte also looks pretty stealth, looks like a satin finish, half way between gloss and flat.

Anodized looks more premium. May be more prone to QC issues. Doesn't feel as nice handling it.

So I have a Dan Case now, and used an S4 Mini previously, both anodized aluminum. And while it is premium, I buy SFF cases so that I can toss them in a backpack. With both of those cases, I felt that I needed to buy a protective sleeve in order to avoid scratches on their materials, especially the all black dan case. Ended up buying a camera accessory bag to house it in (fits like a glove). With that in mind, I would almost prefer powder coating due to the increased perception of durability and "ruggedness". Just my 2c.

Reactions: br3nd0 and Thehack

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Tracking number received.

I'll be out on business trip next week, so I hope I get it by Friday to share it with you guys!

Also, Meanwell came out with 500W EPP-500-12. It can probably be shoehorned in here.
Just read up on that. Crazy and looking forward to it.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

So I got it in. This is how it looks with the gpu installed. The dimensions are accurate and the gpu slides right in.

The first picture shows the bracket with two 120mm fans. Obviously you would use slim fans for modding your gpu cooler.

The semi matte help back up its name. But there are slight issues with durability and QC. The paint itself is durable but can easily be marred.

The sides are well ventilated. You can even install some cute 40mm fans to help it move air a bit.

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Damn, that's a tight looking build. The power-related stuff up against the back of the gpu makes me a little nervous though. But overall, this case looks super portable and easily a console killer. Nice work!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

So I got it in. This is how it looks with the gpu installed. The dimensions are accurate and the gpu slides right in.

The first picture shows the bracket with two 120mm fans. Obviously you would use slim fans for modding your gpu cooler.

The semi matte help back up its name. But there are slight issues with durability and QC. The paint itself is durable but can easily be marred.

The sides are well ventilated. You can even install some cute 40mm fans to help it move air a bit.
Looks really good for a first prototype. Did you get that system fully operational?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the kind words.

The system is not operational. It just my spare parts stuff, and the gpu is a dead one. I may have to buy a spare working one. My lent titan does not fit due to DVI port. So gpu with DVI port are limited to 255mm in length.

I'd really like to work on another power supply project but I'm really out of funds. I have big ideas to bring the cost of DC atx down though.

This build will be about $170 in psu parts as seen, so a little bit easier to stomach than some of the other stuff. Currently I could only fit the dc-dc in the front like so. I'll see if I can squeeze it somewhere else.

It's just not as plug and play so it does scare some potential builders off.

The prototype looks good. There quite a few issues I need to correct but it shows the proof of concept. Even in this rough example, you can see it has potential.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
question: first picture uses 2x120mm fan in lieu of GPU, is that meant for watercooled APU?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Here is another way to locate the DC-DC PSU.

Alternatively, where the meanwell unit will fit an HDPLEX 400 + 400AC-DC. You will need the "skywire" type if you don't want to hate your life.

The exactness of the dimensions make cable management difficult if you have excessive length. That is the reason why I went with customizable cable lengths for the Distro 400.

The rear IO.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I won't be able to do temp testing until I get some hardware. Looking for a $100 GPU that has side exhaust.

Changes to chassis: extended depth by 2mm, extended width by 1mm. Fixed the mistakes/small issues. The slight increase in size will make give it a more friendly build experience.

Final GPU compatibility:

Up to 270mm GPU *without DVI port*
Up to 255mm GPU with DVI port
Fully compatible with all RTX FE cards.

Reactions: annasoh323

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I won't be able to do temp testing until I get some hardware. Looking for a $100 GPU that has side exhaust.

Changes to chassis: extended depth by 2mm, extended width by 1mm. Fixed the mistakes/small issues. The slight increase in size will make give it a more friendly build experience.

Final GPU compatibility:

Up to 270mm GPU *without DVI port*
Up to 255mm GPU with DVI port
Fully compatible with all RTX FE cards.
Should be able to find a GTX 970 for about that price. :) r/hardwareswap