Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

1H8ME2

Case Bender
New User
Mar 23, 2019
You just stole a sale away from the Sentry 2.0. I really like the look of your case. Would a 2.5" hard drive fit sideways in there or is that too tall? Trying to see if there would be any possible places to stuff one or two of those with a reference style graphics card. Also I would totally buy a vertical orientation stand if you made those in the future.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Love this case @Thehack, well done.
A quick question if I may - depending on what PSU is used, would it be possible to move the power button to the very middle of the front panel, once available for orders? Also, have you played with any different vent patterns in your design? Again, well done.
Cheers

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@Thehack Are the front vents gone? (From the original render) I Know you had mentioned they might not be able to be done due to tooling or cost or something. Just wondering. :D

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
This build will be about $170 in psu parts as seen, so a little bit easier to stomach than some of the other stuff. Currently I could only fit the dc-dc in the front like so. I'll see if I can squeeze it somewhere else.

It's just not as plug and play so it does scare some potential builders off.

Would you consider as an option to order, a customised PSU with the case?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You just stole a sale away from the Sentry 2.0. I really like the look of your case. Would a 2.5" hard drive fit sideways in there or is that too tall? Trying to see if there would be any possible places to stuff one or two of those with a reference style graphics card. Also I would totally buy a vertical orientation stand if you made those in the future.

A 2.5ssd won't fit as you described. You can possibly fit it under the GPU, but it'd likely get hot. You can also fit it above the PSU if you're not using active cooling. You can use also an m.2 to SATA board and find random places to fit it.

If you use a short GPU, there is plenty of space for 2.5SSD. I left some mounting holes there to expand it with mounting brackets in case there is need for it.

And it seems like there are quite a few request for vertical stand, so at the minimum it'd be a 3d printed type. A CNC one can likely be had for $20-30 a set.

Love this case @Thehack, well done.
A quick question if I may - depending on what PSU is used, would it be possible to move the power button to the very middle of the front panel, once available for orders? Also, have you played with any different vent patterns in your design? Again, well done.
Cheers

It is not possible to move the button without incurring big production costs.

Would you consider as an option to order, a customised PSU with the case?

I already have the Distro 400 available, which can be paired with this case. I will also stock a few kits for it so you can buy it from one place.

I'd like to clarify that this custom PSU is about $170, and the case will also be around $170 shipped.

The way it is designed, it is not compatible with a flex atx psu out of the box, but one can mod it in if you're handy.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
What are the dimensions of the GPU compartment ??

Will it be possible to fit 2 SSDs side-by-side if no GPU is installed ??
Maybe 4 if using double stacks (NAS variant)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack Are the front vents gone? (From the original render) I Know you had mentioned they might not be able to be done due to tooling or cost or something. Just wondering. :D

Yes. They are no longer there.

What are the dimensions of the GPU compartment ??

Will it be possible to fit 2 SSDs side-by-side if no GPU is installed ??
Maybe 4 if using double stacks (NAS variant)

It is the size of a reference GPU, so if you remove the riser you get:
140mm x 270mm x 57mm.

An SSD is 70mm x 100mm (ish), so technically you can do 3 side by side, and stack it up that much.

I'd take a look at the Pure chassis, which can fit up to 4x 2.5 SSD with the use of an external PSU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

As promised.

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
This may be a bit late in the game, but I was wondering if you are able to make mounting and ventilation for a 92mm radiator/ AIO in place of where the Meanwell 500 would be as well? Mounting points and venting under the Meanwell would give users the choice of running a 24pin dc board on lower powered build and water cool the cpu or gpu?
Additional mounting for Meanwell + 92 mm AIO while using a short gpu?
Just throwing some ideas.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This may be a bit late in the game, but I was wondering if you are able to make mounting and ventilation for a 92mm radiator/ AIO in place of where the Meanwell 500 would be as well? Mounting points and venting under the Meanwell would give users the choice of running a 24pin dc board on lower powered build and water cool the cpu or gpu?
Additional mounting for Meanwell + 92 mm AIO while using a short gpu?
Just throwing some ideas.

I've been thinking about that.

The issue is that it is designed for ventilation on one side only, so that highly effects the performance you get. The AIO is 35mm already. Add 15mm fan you're at 50mm leaving you less than 10mm for the air to escape. You also have to raise it above the panel for air to move.

So this heavily affects the performance of AIO. I likely see if there is a standardized mounting pattern I can use. It'll be standardized to my other designs as well.

From there 3d printed brackets can be used to accommodate user needs, being a low investment cost option.

If I do add another set of ventilation, it'll add cost for 95% users since most will not use that feature. I think a proper Dancase style implementation is better for that idea.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Update:

I've made most of the changes to the cad file already. I just need to spend a weekend to confirm thermal testing in case there needs to be any tweaks.

Due to high project cost, I will run a preorder to help offset that cost. There will be a small discount for those willing to pre-order. I'm hoping for 15 pre orders at least. I'll send out a survey to collect email a few weeks before listing the preorder.

Reactions: annasoh323

Phoder1

What's an ITX?
Jan 21, 2018
Update:

I've made most of the changes to the cad file already. I just need to spend a weekend to confirm thermal testing in case there needs to be any tweaks.

Due to high project cost, I will run a preorder to help offset that cost. There will be a small discount for those willing to pre-order. I'm hoping for 15 pre orders at least. I'll send out a survey to collect email a few weeks before listing the preorder.
I'm interested!
Waiting for the survey.
And maybe you have a completed brickless build to show us?