Stalled Project Stealth - 5.7L, custom 400W PSU, 270mm GPU

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
if you want to agree to $260 each, including S/H to the USA, i'll order 5 prototypes from your 1st prototype batch right now.

color needed is all-silver.

dimensions are 335mm X 240mm X 69mm [ 5.5L ]

I won't be commitment yet, please be patient until I get at least the first prototype.

For prototypes you have to order one first before making a small batch, no matter how small. If you mess up your CAD files and skip the first prototype, you end up with a costly messed up batch.

I won't go into the details of what it takes to get a small batch made, but note, $260 is what it costs for a single prototype, before inspection, assembly, shipping, not including additional time generating different CAD (industry rate for designer is $25-35/hr), confirming design, negotiating with manufacturer.

Reactions: zzmadd and AstroWan

AstroWan

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2016
does it have to be 5.5L ?? ,i would still prefer 5.89L.

I hate to be that guy, but he already asserted the fact that he's trying to take on one task at a time and trying to focus on what he had planned in his design. He wants to test viability and make sure that everything works out for his initial sketches to make sure that everything works out and ends up checking out. He doesn't want to adjust or have to go back around to re-edit everything because it would mean going back to the drawing board and having to redo a lot of things, in addition to possibly treading the line of going towards where other cases exist (such as the Dr Zaber Sentry, the S401, or the modivio). TheHack isn't trying to bite off more than he can chew right now and it'll likely be a bit before he actually does work on adjusting the design for anything different.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

In black. Removed the front vents. not required, as users should be using FE-like GPUs that has side exhaust or blower designs. Or something like EVGA's Black edition.

Target is still 5.5L or smaller, Possibly a big boy version second.

I will do a small limited run of black/white, since it's my favorite style, but i've found the failure rate too high (30% on PURE case run).
Failure how? The coloration taking to the base material? (I'm having a bear of a time trying to get these images to load :/ )

Edit: got images to load. Pic combined with an earlier post: nice layout! I can see how PCIe power connection will be tight. Is the area in front of the motherboard for power and storage? If your other distro board + Meanwell doesn't fit, any ideas about what to put there to power the GPU? This would be a good option for a build for my brother - very portable but with flexible video card options. He's been doing a lot of Blender and he's been getting by on gaming with his iGPU so this would be an option.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Failure how? The coloration taking to the base material? (I'm having a bear of a time trying to get these images to load :/ )

Edit: got images to load. Pic combined with an earlier post: nice layout! I can see how PCIe power connection will be tight. Is the area in front of the motherboard for power and storage? If your other distro board + Meanwell doesn't fit, any ideas about what to put there to power the GPU? This would be a good option for a build for my brother - very portable but with flexible video card options. He's been doing a lot of Blender and he's been getting by on gaming with his iGPU so this would be an option.

White powder coat is easy to get contaminated and have quality issues. All QC issue I had were with white ones for the PURE case.

The area in front of the motherboard is dedicated for power yes.

The PCIe connector will be tight yes. It'll be measured for reference type cards.

The MW + Distro 400 will 100% fit. But your other choice is also the new HDPLEX PSU. You will need to replace the two prong with three-prong though.

A FLEX ATX PSU will fit if you're willing to modify it a bit (you'll need to figure out a way to wire AC in).

If your brother does a lot of blender, the PURE XL would be a bit better, since you can fit more powerful CPUs in it. Pretty sure blender prefers CPU rendering. Check it out here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/j-hack-pure-xl-4-8l-lp-gpu-flex-support.9997/

I hate to be that guy, but he already asserted the fact that he's trying to take on one task at a time and trying to focus on what he had planned in his design. He wants to test viability and make sure that everything works out for his initial sketches to make sure that everything works out and ends up checking out. He doesn't want to adjust or have to go back around to re-edit everything because it would mean going back to the drawing board and having to redo a lot of things, in addition to possibly treading the line of going towards where other cases exist (such as the Dr Zaber Sentry, the S401, or the modivio). TheHack isn't trying to bite off more than he can chew right now and it'll likely be a bit before he actually does work on adjusting the design for anything different.

Eloquently stated.

A big personal goal is not to bite off more than I can chew.

Reactions: annasoh323

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
Earlier you stated that the distro 400 won't fit with reference length cards. So what is the proposed power solution for those with reference cards?

Thanks!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
White powder coat is easy to get contaminated and have quality issues. All QC issue I had were with white ones for the PURE case.

The area in front of the motherboard is dedicated for power yes.

The PCIe connector will be tight yes. It'll be measured for reference type cards.

The MW + Distro 400 will 100% fit. But your other choice is also the new HDPLEX PSU. You will need to replace the two prong with three-prong though.

A FLEX ATX PSU will fit if you're willing to modify it a bit (you'll need to figure out a way to wire AC in).

If your brother does a lot of blender, the PURE XL would be a bit better, since you can fit more powerful CPUs in it. Pretty sure blender prefers CPU rendering. Check it out here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/j-hack-pure-xl-4-8l-lp-gpu-flex-support.9997/

Eloquently stated.

A big personal goal is not to bite off more than I can chew.
I actually was just looking at the Pure XL yesterday. I was admiring it too but didn't have the time to type out any thoughts then. I'll head over there and tap out a couple of my questions. I do see the advantage of that one: more CPU cooler space for something like the L12/S is great.
Earlier you stated that the distro 400 won't fit with reference length cards. So what is the proposed power solution for those with reference cards?

Thanks!
I found a way for it to fit. ;)
Yep, thanks for clearing this up. That was the post I was thinking of when I wrote out my initial response re: power. If the Distro fits: great! Will just have to calculate the overtime hours needed to work to fund it then.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

workin' hard. need to verify the design, draw up the 2D, and finalize any other features.

It has grown a bit, due to size of the riser. I also didn't want to make it painful to build in. Currently sit at 5.7L. If I shave it off to 5.5L, you will have to use 80x10mm fan to cool the psu, which will be annoying.

Currently supports the hdplex acdc as well.

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
Is the riser planned to go under the mobo?

Also, is the plan for the power input to route between the GPU and mobo? Just trying to conceptualize the build.

What are the current iteration's dimensions?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is the riser planned to go under the mobo?

Also, is the plan for the power input to route between the GPU and mobo? Just trying to conceptualize the build.

What are the current iteration's dimensions?

Power input is left of the mobo cutout looking at the renders.

Riser goes under the mobo.

Current outer dimensions is 273mm x 62mm x 336.