Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
It's not that simple - note that the board in the photo is slightly bigger than the 'Mini-DTX' - you could almost fit the third slot there. Such board won't fit in the cases designed for mITX with dual slot GPU.
Mini-DTX is a form factor developed by AMD. I'm not saying that it will fit in an itx case, I'm just stating that Mini-DTX motherboards does exist and still exists.

Reactions: SaperPL

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Mini-DTX is a form factor developed by AMD. I'm not saying that it will fit in an itx case, I'm just stating that Mini-DTX motherboards does exist and still exists.

Well, so in essence that's why I didn't want to name it Mini-DTX in the first place. Because mini-DTX is slightly bigger...

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
There are quite some boards in this form factor. They're not double x16 slot, though:

Biostar has quite a bunch of boards in this form factor. Honestly, with SLI being more and more a thing of the past, 1x + 16x makes more sense (HiFi audio card or live streaming card + single slot GPU).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That DTX discussion lead me back to this in Google image ... @confusis do you remember it ? :D

With all these custom projects being propped up by manufacturing shops, or sourcing out bigger manufacturers, what are the chances a few of us with our planning and talent can envision a limited-run production run of a custom DTX board?

It will be a niche product much like the indie brand cases like Cerberus or S4 Mini. It may need multiple sources of funding, and crowdfunding would help a lot here. This is what the ProjectQ motherboards used for most funding. They made niche "anyOS" motherboards (read: Hackintosh friendly) that used Gigabyte USA as the OEM of the product.

So imagine that sort of planning but for mini DTX boards? :D

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
With all these custom projects being propped up by manufacturing shops, or sourcing out bigger manufacturers, what are the chances a few of us with our planning and talent can envision a limited-run production run of a custom DTX board?

It will be a niche product much like the indie brand cases like Cerberus or S4 Mini. It may need multiple sources of funding, and crowdfunding would help a lot here. This is what the ProjectQ motherboards used for most funding. They made niche "anyOS" motherboards (read: Hackintosh friendly) that used Gigabyte USA as the OEM of the product.

So imagine that sort of planning but for mini DTX boards? :D

I think that crowdfunding a motherboard is a really, really bad idea. The Hackintosh boards are exception here, but if you were to promote a motherboard to the mainstream customer, I don't think many people would want to put their money and wait for the board while the industry moves on to the next chipset/socket/cpu generation.

I believe that specifically for this concept of something between mini ITX and mini DTX (which is bigger than just adding second slot to ITX) it would need a manufacturer like asrock making few prototype/mock-up boards and showing concept cases/builds while also presenting the backwards compatibility with cases designed for mini ITX. And such manufacturer would need to manufacture and maintain such form factor for some time before other would go after it as well.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think that crowdfunding a motherboard is a really, really bad idea. The Hackintosh boards are exception here, but if you were to promote a motherboard to the mainstream customer, I don't think many people would want to put their money and wait for the board while the industry moves on to the next chipset/socket/cpu generation.
A very valid point. Many technologically complex crowd-funded projects take well over a year to eventualy materialise (not talking about projected timelines).

I highly doubt one would ever find a partner that would be willing to help out with future chipsets or components, considering it could only end up competing with their own lineup. It's a lose-lose scenario for any board manufacturer I'd guess. So as @SaperPL already mentioned, at best you'd have a previous gen board for a high-end current gen board's price. I'd also hate to think about the amount of time and money needed for support we're accustomed to.

Reactions: owliwar and SaperPL

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
There are quite some boards in this form factor. They're not double x16 slot, though:

I really like this form factor. it ends up being very inexpensive, but what drives most of enthusiast away is that they end up being really cheap, therefore there are no high end boards in this form factor, no overclock, few usb ports which its a bummer. but on current gen intel boards that is less of a concern

I mean, I like it being inexpensive what I don't like is that there are any am4 on this format :mad:
I know asrock have quite a lot of intel boards on this size, but I'd love to see an AM4 motherboard like this as well

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
I have a suggestion to use USB+USB and RJ45

instead of VGA and USB+USB+RJ45

VGA is not actual now.
USB+USB+RJ45 is so high for this form factor.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I do believe you're looking at a blend of two different boards - the Mini-STX (5x5) is aimed at a different market to the Micro-STX (larger, MXM GPU, DeskMini product line). The Micro-STX generally has a more modern rear IO than VGA. The Z370 DeskMini does away with most "legacy" ports - the only remaining is the USB2.0 on the side front panel.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
I do believe you're looking at a blend of two different boards - the Mini-STX (5x5) is aimed at a different market to the Micro-STX (larger, MXM GPU, DeskMini product line). The Micro-STX generally has a more modern rear IO than VGA. The Z370 DeskMini does away with most "legacy" ports - the only remaining is the USB2.0 on the side front panel.
This thread is about Mini-STX (5x5) APU M/B according to the photo in the first post. And I know that H110 Mini-STX Asrock M/B has VGA and USB+USB+RJ45 IO components. 3 years have passed from H110 release, I think Asrock needs to cut VGA and make motherboard to be ready for very small cases by cutting USB+USB+RJ45.

Reactions: HooglyBoogly

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2017
Kind of a little off topic, but does anyone think thin mitx has a chance of being refreshed for CFL? Or is it pretty much a dead form factor? I feel like ASRock would be our only hope for that lol.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Kind of a little off topic, but does anyone think thin mitx has a chance of being refreshed for CFL? Or is it pretty much a dead form factor? I feel like ASRock would be our only hope for that lol.
Thin ITX for CFL was showed off(by ASRock iirc) at Embedded World. Its highly likely they will bring it to consumer market.

Reactions: owliwar and EdZ

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2017
@AleksandarK Oh wow that's pretty much perfect. All of the thin mitx boards out right now are missing one or two features that I want. It's like one model has this feature and another has the other, but not one board with both features. That thing has a x16 slot too! I'll be keeping my eye on this. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: EdZ and AleksandarK