Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
I don't know if it's possible since Mini STX was developed originally by Intel, but an AM4 Mini STX board would be amazing for certain builds, particularly the GameCube PC. Probably unlikely due to how low demand the form factor is but still.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
Oh, I need one too :) It’s my childhood dream - Mini STX APU Build.

Specs:
- Custom case 151*144*31 = 0.67L (new world record!)
- Ryzen 5 2400G
- Innodisk VLP SO-DIMM 2x8Gb 2400 (18mm)
- Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
- Asrock MiniSTX AM4
- Custom CPU Cooler (13mm)
- External PSU 120w

Last edited:

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
AsRock is making AMD GPU's now. Throw in an MxM Vega card(Please, AsRock...) and an upcoming r5 2600 and you got yourself a low power monster.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Whoa, very nice. Now with a Ryzen APU you'd be set for the next smallest form factor for quick entry level gaming!

The Noctua cooler is nice, but I'd like to try it out with the even lower profile Dynatron A18 to see how that will perform.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
Whoa, very nice. Now with a Ryzen APU you'd be set for the next smallest form factor for quick entry level gaming!

The Noctua cooler is nice, but I'd like to try it out with the even lower profile Dynatron A18 to see how that will perform.
Zalman CNPS2X will be better choise. The same profile as A18, but not so noisy.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

That fan has an external shroud with AMD logo that is making it this tall. Some users stripped this shroud away to fit this cooler inside inwin chopin which looks to be designed to fit reference 47 intel cooler: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/83m0eg/ryzen_2400g2200g_can_be_made_to_fit_into_an_inwin/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7zo1bx/tiny_raven_ridge_2400g_itx_build/

I understand that you cannot support such configuration by instructing users to strip down their BOX fan, but you could provide a replacement fan like this: https://www.titan-cd.com/en/product...des-and-PWM-Function/TFD-9525H12ZP_KU_RB.html

The question is if the access to the fan screws is blocked by this shroud or not.

Btw if we are talking about new form factor, rather than STX, It would be nice to see a dual slot ITX board - just by adding second slot (which probably required more layers in pcb) and bifurcating the original slot depending on configuration. This would fit in all itx cases supporting dual-slot GPUs, would solve the issue of 2cm pci-e extender required when you use angled pcb riser, and obviously would enable support for two add-in cards without adding a bifurcated riser. With such boards, I'd love to see a 'console' configuration with 8+8 config where first slot is occupied by two M.2 SSD's on a pci-e adapter without a bracket and the second slot is occupied by the GPU. Sorry for going offtop though :)

But well, for raven ridge the mini-STX seems like an ideal match :)

Zalman CNPS2X will be better choise. The same profile as A18, but not so noisy.

In our tests CNPS2X was terrible. We have picked it for tests since it was in original Steam Machine prototype assuming that they did a good research on that, but it seems like it was one of the reasons that reviewers didn't like the prototype. It was really quiet, almost silent, but at the same time the 65W i7 would get hot really fast on this. I think that this is a cooler that would do good only on a 35W CPUs...

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Btw if we are talking about new form factor, rather than STX, It would be nice to see a dual slot ITX board - just by adding second slot (which probably required more layers in pcb) and bifurcating the original slot depending on configuration

It already exists and it is called mini-DTX :)

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
That's true, but Mini-DTX with an x16 and an x4 or x1? does exist.

It's not that simple - note that the board in the photo is slightly bigger than the 'Mini-DTX' - you could almost fit the third slot there. Such board won't fit in the cases designed for mITX with dual slot GPU.