Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
I can only say that "MARKET TAM IS THE KEY..."
Look at micro STX, we are still waiting the opening :<
Micro STX MXM is too specific to be widespread. Too expensive. There are no cases (only DeskMIni) and MXM cards on the market.

AM4 APUs are another pair of shoes, born to be small and great for MiniSTX form factor.
  1. It is cheap.
  2. We don’t need PCIe slot.
  3. There is a lot of cases that you can buy right now (for example, silverstone VT01).

Last edited:
Reactions: InfernoZeus

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
STX with an MXM slot is too difficult to be sold in today's market "as parts" for assembly, because of the lack of MXM cards available, along with compatibility but also the cooling compatbility. 3rd party cases will require the concept to have much more than one manufacturer making a niche product. I also regard the ASRock DeskMini RX/GTX case as quite good looking in regards to all the plastic crap other manufacturers use for their SFF systems.

Mar 6, 2017
Desktop graphics cards should just be made from MXM cards on an adapter PCB. Yes, this would cost a bit more, but by like what, 10 bucks? Maybe since ASRock is getting into the GPU thing, this would be a great selling point for them, as with a bit of creativity they could design it so that when you upgrade your GPU in a desktop, you just pop in a new MXM card, which would be cheaper in the long run.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I agree, Mini-STX would make the ultimate raven ridge build! Please asrock, make it so :)

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
If ASRock's move into the GPU market includes reasonably priced MXM cards then Micro STX makes sense, but otherwise Mini STX makes a lot more sense for different build scenarios due to Ryzen APUs. Would love if we could just get AM4 on both though.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
New I can only say that "MARKET TAM IS THE KEY..."
This might verge well into "no comment" territory, but is ASRock's Market TAM estimate for AM4 STX based on actual sales of AM4 systems in ASRock's range, or on the general AM4 TAM estimate from pre-launch (which industry-wide seemed quite small)?

Reactions: Jello and Phuncz

humand

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2017
I would be all over an AM4 micro-STX board with MXM support. Imagine Zen 2 and Navi 7nm with low TDP. It would be ideal considering that Asrock is going in the video card business = Asrock motherboard + Asrock AMD Navi MXM module. Not to mention the price would probably be more attractive.
Come on Asrock, you can do it!

Last edited:

thesimon

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2018
I can only say that "MARKET TAM IS THE KEY..."
Look at micro STX, we are still waiting the opening :<

I work in the IT department in my company and after the new security vulnerabilities in the Intel processors we would immediately switch to AMD DeskMinis if the price would be about the same like the Intel models. The Ryzen 5 2400G/Ryzen 3 2200G is ideal for the form factor and for our requirements.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I work in the IT department in my company and after the new security vulnerabilities in the Intel processors we would immediately switch to AMD DeskMinis if the price would be about the same like the Intel models. The Ryzen 5 2400G/Ryzen 3 2200G is ideal for the form factor and for our requirements.
Just saying but AMD is still affected by one of the two vulnerabilities. Ryzen 2 should fix that, and Cannon Lake or whatever's after Coffee Lake should fix that as well.

Reactions: thesimon

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Spectre-NG vulnerabilities recently found are worrying though. Not for the home user mainly but it allows to escape the Virtual Machine’s guest space and read memory outside of the guest’s proverbial walled garden.
This was also possible with Spectre, but not conceivably doable, while Spectre-NG supposedly shows it’s certainly feesible to exploit. This might hurt Intel’s shares considerably as the enterprise market was their playground.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Remember that 'Spectre' isn't a specific vulnerability, it;s a whole new class of attacks. There's no one "Spectre fix" in the same way there is no one "buffer underrun fix", and all architectures that use speculative execution are potentially vulnerable to Spectre-type attacks. Intel, AMD, ARM, POWER, etc.

Reactions: NateDawg72

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Any updates? The H310 DeskMini has launched, supporting Coffee Lake chips. Would love to see the Ryzen version.