Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You're also thinking of a brickless 2400G system using 160W HDPlex and CustomMOD Nano 1.2l?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
IT'S HAPPENING. Now I can finally build all my dumb and unnecessary USFF projects.

Looks like the only real difference between A300 and X300 is no overclocking, which does actually suck a decent bit since the APUs can be overclocked to pretty good results even with stock or cheap coolers.

Reactions: el01

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Great to see something is still in the works for Am4 in this format.
Pity it hasn't got 12v input and the height of the IO and Ram being vertical though, don't think it will offer enough advantages over an mitx board for what I have in mind.

damex

Caliper Novice
Aug 27, 2018
I wonder if noctua nh-l9a would fit...

It also would be nice to preserve two sata ports (with power) at the back side of the board.

Otherwise looks like a good pick for emustation or htpc. Would definitely get it as soon as it gets released. If not release in russia, china, singapore or vietnam - would just go to Taiwan to get it.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Twitter post is gone, someone's in trouble...

Mirror:

Neat.

I'd love to see a case which is literally a sandwich of 3d printed bottom and fitting aluminium extruded radiator acting as top cover. Put 2400GE inside (when they are actually available, not only at OEMs) and set it on some kind of vertical stand and you've got yourself a small and silent media player/office/light gaming PC.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Out of curiosity do people think there would be a market for a prebuilt based on this platform?

Reactions: ChinStrap

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Out of curiosity do people think there would be a market for a prebuilt based on this platform?

I'd say that it depend on how availability of cases and other boards for STX looks at the time of launch.

If people can't see it as standard yet, there's no reason for them to go with such thing yet because who knows if after two years you will still be able to upgrade the motherboard.

For me, at least from what I've seen in Poland, the thin mITX, NUCs and now STX were/are all like that - very scarce amount of boards available in stores and close to zero cases to pick from. Most people won't even notice its existence like that, and those who do, will have hard time believing the format will become standard if there's not much parts to pick from in stores and talk in SFF communities.

So the bottom line is how are you going to explain to your client that this is better than custom-board system from MSI or Zotac.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Prebuilts will always have to contend with the stuff you can readily buy. It seems they would be compared to stuff that "looks like it", so I expect it to be compared to consoles and small office computers.

I think it's a challenge to sell a product that's based on this board (+ case), a Ryzen 2400G, 16GB of RAM, 500GB SSD (for the "Plus" model) for let's say 900$ or 2200G, 8GB of RAM, 250GB SSD (for the "Base" model) for 600$. Ball park figure, I haven't worked out the pricing in detail. It'll depend where you'll want to sell it, but if let's say Newegg, OCUK and an equivalent in China. People will compare it to an Xbox or Playstation that's cheaper (for gaming) and as an office PC there will undoubtibly be many options from more well known brands. Because you won't entice the enthusiasts much with something that's already done. Unless you sell it as a barebones kit, but I guess ASRock would already want to do that :)

Part of the charm of SFF is also to build and customize these to our heart's content. It's maybe this process of building PCs that makes us respect SFF for what it is. I'd personally not consider offering prebuilt machines as the baseline, but consider a model that @Josh | NFC uses: offer the choice for having complete machines but offer the unique parts of the product.

Because once you're offering prebuilt computers, you need a low enough volume that you or small team of people can do it in a reasonable amount of time while maintaining a profit. Or you need to start up an offshore assembly process that will require a huge MOQ that requires knowing you will be able to sell the needed units at the expected price to make a profit.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017

It's always fun to say things like "shut up and take my money", but it's real. If the A300M-STX comes to market, it replaces a deskmini 110 I have, as fast as I can buy one.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Looking at available hardware I figure if you split a 4 x 8GB BDie G.Skill 3600 MHz RAM kit, pair it with a 2400G and put the whole thing on an HDPlex 160W AC-DC you'd have a pretty beastly little 1080p rig < 2L.

Reactions: ChinStrap

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
So far this is the only photo of this particular motherboard and it's an oblique view so it's not as easy to picture how a brickless PSU can fit inside. I just have this image I once made for a Skylake mini STX board.

The orange area is for a 2" x 4" PSU, like a MeanWell, and blue area is a location for a 2.5" hard drive. This assumes using a very short blower cooler.

For the A300 board, the SO-DIMM slots are positioned on the bottom rather than the front, and AM4 socket are is wider, and not as square. This makes it trickier to see how these other parts will be installed but I'm sure we can figure it out :)