Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Didn't they make it available ? I believe it is indeed intel's tech but amd could use it given a couple of pcie lane and a controller

But with the new rumored apu coming in q3 i won't need a gpu ^^ i hope the r5 3600g is true as leaked)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
TB3 is controlled by Intel, good luck getting them to let AMD use it,

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
And 2.5/5 GbE USB adapters were also supposed to happen in 2018 and AFAICS didn't...

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
This is minor, but I'm not a fan of the headphone and mic jacks being on opposite sides of the USB ports. If you have a headset + mic with separate analog plugs, it's much better to plug them next to each other. It also looks neater to have ports of the same type next to each other.

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
From the CES news post on ASRock's site:
ASRock pleased to introduce the latest DsekMini A300, which adopts with AMD A300 chipset to support AMD 65W AM4 APU, as well as up to 32GB DDR4-2933MHz memory. Also, it supports up to 4 storage devices, including 2x Ultra M.2 (2208) PCIe SSD slots and 2x 2.5" hard drive. DeskMini A300 makes it easy to build a home entertainment PC or mini data center.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I find it very odd that AsRock has chosen to go with the A300 chipset here considering it's already a generation old and with Zen2 likely being announced this weekend we could very likely see the 500 series chipset arrive along with it, no? Can anyone comment as to what limitations A300 would see when compared with newer chipsets?

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Afaik the A300 chipset is actually just the CPU’s built in ‘chipset’ of sorts, allowing much more space on the board considering they don’t need an extra BGA package sitting there now.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm not sure that it is embedded in the APU package, but Ryzen CPU provides quite a bunch of connectivies...

Can anyone comment as to what limitations A300 would see when compared with newer chipsets?

From the table below, the A300 doesn't allow OC, while the X300 does....

If you look at both pictures, A300 might well be a Ryzen CPU on its own, without a chipset of some sort. We'll have to wait for more informations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Therandomness

cebali

Cable Smoosher
Jan 9, 2019
Hi all. This is pretty exciting. According to the product page the boxed cooler won't fit in the case. So I guess an NH-L9i is a must have... I'm very curious about today's AMD keynote. If the rumors are true then there's a good chance that the 2400G could be swapped out with a "3300G" later on.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, i might take an athlon 200ge for now and upgrade to one of the rumored "big boys" if they exist

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
"The two SO-DIMM memory slots support up to DDR4-2933 with Ryzen and DDR4-2400 with A-series processors"

Unclear if you can overclock <2933 RAM to 2933 (probably unlikely) but at the very least you can't go past 2933. The A300 chipset used is kind of disappointing considering memory overclocking is huge for performance gains on Ryzen APUs.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I see nothing wrong with this puppy and a 2200g for now. I would want to pull the mobo and put it into a different case and go brickless.

Great for HTPC and couch gaming with Steam in home streaming from your main rig. Toss in a bag to go and light gaming in Hotels and such.