Poll : what cpu platform for cerberus-x?

What will the most suited CPU platform for cerberus-x ATX sff case from KI

• Asrock z270 Taichi + Intel Core i7 7700k

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Asrock x370 Taichi + AMD Summit Ridge SR7

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Asrock x99 Taichi + Intel Core i7 6800k

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • X299 Chipset + Intel Core i7 Socket 2066

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi all,

I've decided to go for Cerberus-x...this wonderful ATX SFF case from Kimera Industries..:)

To honor that, I've decided to sell my full current Nano2 setup...to build a dedicated setup for cerberus-x....yes i'm crazy...and i like it.

3 contenders :
  • Z270 taichi + 7700k : with 3 m.2 pci 3 4x slots, it's the king of cable management...plus 7700k is still the best ipc cpu
  • Am4 x370 taichi + summit ridge sr7 : weak point is m.2 with only one m.2 4x and one m.2 2x. After summit ridge needs to be better tested
  • Taichi x99 + 6800k : platform will be replaced before end of 2017
  • X299 Chipset + Intel Core i7 Socket 2066 (update 24/01/2017)

Important point : i'm not in hurry as i'll wait vega release to buy everything..:) i'm taking my time to build an almost pearless setup..:)

What will be your choice?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Already 6 votes..:)

I need to precise my usage :
  • Gaming
  • Video editing
Also please note that all my storage will be done using m.2 drives in order to help cable management.
Sli/cf is possible but i'm not yet decided...as cf/sli results are still unstable, relyiijg on game.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2016
Im not sure if i can vote as im in a similar position.The only difference is that i will most probably wont be able to wait for the cerberus x (and will have to mod something to fit my needs-probably a jonsbo u4 or even leave the sff dream and go for the silverstone ft05 for the cooling).

On the motherboard side ive been reading a lot in the last two months and exchanging emails with asrock.My pc will be focused on video editing like you but i will be doing a lot of rendering and game dev on it so i will focus on a xeon cpu.From what i read,asrock most probably have the best xeon support out there.I was tempted in the asus x99 e ws 3.1 and the asus x99 deluxe 2 but after reading many comments on amazon(close to 30% negative i decided to back up).On the other hand i think the asrock x99 taichi shoud be the best choice for my needs.I dont think that asrock makes cheap stuff anymore.Reviews show that is a very capable motherboard with 92-93% user score so i think i will go with that one and a e5 2690 v4 and 128gb ecc ram.(256 if i have the money but i doubt it).

I think the reason the x99 taichi is cheap is because it only have 3 pcie slots.(more than enough for me).Everythng on it looks quality but im not sure how many people have it.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Which video editor are you using? I'm thinking the exporters/transcoders could be either CPU based or GPU accelerated.
Also not sure of AMD's side for ZEN, other than just handbrake (CPU-based). So yeah while you wait, keep in mind the aspects to look for (in terms of editor export/rendering performance) when the reviews are out of NDA.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, for cerberus-X, I've decided to buy one pre production unit, mostly because ATX case of 22l is something unique, and offer broad cpu & motherboard compatibility I was looking for. Cerberus-X is a ATX case smaller then mini ITX "no compromise" cases (Define Nano S, prodigy phenom, evolv itx)...that's truly amazing!

Now about AM4 platform, I'm a bit concerned by the lack of m.2 pci 3.0 4x slots (1 at best + additional pci 2.0 2x). Other negative points is the lack of oriention for cpu air cooler on amd socket. (AM3 has the same issue) I'm aiming to use noctua C14S with dual 140 ppc fan. However it should be fine for AM4.

I must admit that last Z270 boards (like taichi Z270 or fatality) with their 3 M.2 pci 3.0 4x, 5Gb/s ethernet plug are simply impressive. Kabylake will remain the IPC leader, even in front of Ryzen SR7. But directx12 games are now becoming more & more common. for example on Battlefield 1, 6800K is beating 7700K...so I bet that having more core than 4 will become soon standard..especially Ryzen breaks the door (dream will be Ryzen SR7 at 7700K price level..:D)

X99 platform seems outdated...but still have all required features..:D

To be honest, my choice will be done based on ratio price/performance....I just need to be patient..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, AM4 is back to race...as M.2 pci 3.0 4x slots is not a major issue on ATX boards...I can just use expansion card like Silverstone ECM 21

I guess I need to learn again how to use ATX motherboard as I'm using only mini itx since 2011..:D

Reactions: Kwirek

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
As i'm'not in hurry at all, and I'm trusting you, you have my green light Josh..:)

Ps : i let you arrange the post cost inside usa..:)

Reactions: LocoMoto

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I must admit that this MSI Z270 GAMING M7 is simply gorgeous...and the 3xM.2 pci 3.0 4x + 1 slot with passive heatsink freaking interesting :

I guess final CPU choice will be really, really hard...:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
For my personal usage, after thinking, it will be either Kabylake or AMD SR7 (if price is inline to kabylake). X99 plateform appears quite old vs Z270 platform.

Let's hope AMD will want to compete vs core i7 7700K and not vs core i7 6800K/6900K, especially on price.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Depending on their release date (August 2017 at best), but new socket 2066 with kabylake X (4 cores) + skylake X (6/8/10 cores) could be an alternative.

Kabylake X is a 4 cores, without igpu, that could have increased frequency compared to current kabylake...does that mean a stock frequency of 5Ghz?..:)

Arrival of Ryzen is clearly shaking cpu market...I love it..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
After long thoughts about my current and future needs, i decided to go to am4+sr7 ryzen platform, most probably with asrock fatal1ty gaming serie motherboard.
The only roadblocks to move away from am4 will be final price of the complete platform or far too many bugs on am4.

Thanks for all who vote (am4 won the vote also..:))

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
However I'm worried about RAM speed (max 2933MHz)...thus I've a stupid question : does my Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Go 3200MHz (XMP) will work on AM4 platform?

I've previously heard rumors that RAM speeds were going to be limited to around 2800MHz, so this beats that actually. But, with memory speed isn't everything as latency timings affect performance just as much. You can still use your Vengeance sticks, but you may need to manually tune them at a slower speed. After that, you can start tightening the latency timings and potentially get the overall performance close to or exceeding the XMP profile.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
let's see..for now I'll sell my Corsair Vengeance to be completely free on my next cpu platform. Let's see how will perform Ryzen with neutral reviews. I don't want to overestimate it.
Also X99 platform is clearly not bad and very well suited to ATX form factor..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Finally, here is what i will choose as cpu platform :
  1. AM4 SR7 (8/16 cores/thread) if platform matched its forecast with no bugs
  2. X99 + core i7 6850k
  3. Z270 + core i7 7700k
Wait will be still long till am4 release..:)