Cerberus-x : choice of sfx psu

What will be the best sfx psu for cerberus-x?

• Silverstone sx800-lti

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Silverstone sx700-lpt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lian-li pe-750

• Corsair sf600

• Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi all,

Here is a new step to create a worthy setup, at the level of crafting of the cerberus-x..:)

After cpu platform, let's talk about sfx/sfx-l psu, that i aim to put on front panel.

First condition is to be fanless when idling, low load (web surfing, video, etc)

Target is to power a stable & quiet setup that includes an overclocked amd sr7 + potential dual 225w radeon vega with potential overclocked also..:) However cf of vega is not yet decided, as i fear multiple gpu is not that stable and universal.

Let's say 150w for cpu, 275w for each vega, 50w for remaining components (ram, ssd, fan..lots of fans..:)).

To sum up i have 2 scenarii to study :
  • With 1 vega : 475w
  • With 2 vega : 700w
So i might consider 4 psu :
  • My beloved corsair sf600
  • Silverstone sx700-lpt v2 (with better fan controller)
  • Silverstone sx800-lti
  • Lian li pe 750
Based on my requirements, the safest choice will be either lian li pe 750 or sx800-lti.

What will be your advices or choice?

Thanks in advance..:)

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Since you already have the Corsair I'd say stick with it until we get more information on how hungry AMD's new processors and graphics cards are. :)
I love my SF450 to bits and I expect no less from the SF600.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I have a question on lian li pe 750, apparently it has 2 cpu (eps connector), 1 x4w and 1x8w.

On the other side, msi titanium x370 has also 2 cpu connector, are they useful?

Are they compatible or useful? Also msi titanium add pci-e to add more power into pci-e slots...is it onused for ln2 users?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Lian Li PE-750 and SilverStone SX800-LPT both have an additional 4-pin connector but that is for voltage sensing off the 24-pin, it is NOT an additional CPU power connector.

The reason some motherboard have a secondary 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connector is for extreme overclocking, by increasing the available current capacity to avoid melting the normal 8-pin EPS.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks James for your feedback...:)
Thus there is no SFX psu that can power this msi titanium AM4 MB at the end?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Those secondary CPU power connectors are optional, and are only needed for extreme overclocking.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I've looked at some user review about SX700-LPT, and globally quality level is not really great. I don't want to spend 180€ (SX700-lpt) or even 210€ (SX800-lti) that won't last or work properlly. My personal experience on silverstone psu just makes me also really nervous.

That's why I'm wondering now to come back on ATX PSU as Cerberus-x pre production allow me to do so. If I go to ATX, it will impose some compromise on GPU choice, as CPU will be cooled by 240 aio. And I also need to order some customed and short cables

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you were fine with the C14S for the CPU cooling, then a 140mm AIO like the NZXT X41 would be a perfectly good alternative.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
yes you are right, using aio with single 120/140 could also solve gpu clearance issue with a 240 aio. After i need to have a very quiet pump. (I was thinking of be quiet silent loop)

The other really positive point to come back on ATX is that I can use my beloved psu trademark : Seasonic..:D

Did I already say that I was in love of cerberus-x potential/freedom?..:D

Reactions: jeshikat

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, with no surprise, i've added ATX Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium...compared to sfx/sfx-l it's like night and day..:)

I like that choice of atx psu with cerberus-x.

Reactions: ricochet

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My comment on bad quality psu is mainly on SX700-LPT where I saw a lot of complaints related to bad fan controller (V1) based on pure load.

I've also studied quickly use of ATX psu, but i'm currently blocked with AIO :
  • The quietest one is from be quiet is too tall (>above 48mm on cpu waterblock/pump/fittings)
  • Aio that can fit are based on Asetek pump (NZXT X41 or Corsair H90), and their pump could be too loud at low load. I still need to study this solution.
  • I won't use a 240/280 radiator on front panel as it will be too restrictive for GPU (just measure my GTX1070 gaming X as example, and it will be too tight)
  • Last resort will be a new release of EK predator 240 (this spring) where radiator/pump/reservoir will be put on bottom of the case.
Decision is still far from being made...so I will continue my investigation..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Great thank you. A nice photo is always better long sentence.:):)

I also saw that X41 pump was quite silent (from silent pc review)...it's worth keeping the idea of atx psu.
I even thought with ATX psu, front panel can be used for cable management, using infinite vent with clip/tie straps

edit : here is the link of X41 pump noise :
NZXT Kraken X41 at 1m
— pump at 9V, no fan (13 dBA@1m)
— pump at 12V, no fan (15 dBA@1m)
— pump at 12V, fan at 5V (20 dBA@1m)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1401-page7.html

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
This study on psu inspired me definitely..:)
I just realized that with a cerberus-x i could have more space on the bottom to put my good old radiator of my swiftech h220. As waterblock i can use my marvellous swiftech apogee drive ii with customed tubing..:) and to power all that, why not stay on sf600?..:)

I've a question of sf600 : may i use one of pci-e 8pins of the psu to power a gpu with 2 pci-e 8 pins? I guess it's not an issue as all 12v is on the same rail, but i would like your advice also..:)

Ps : with apogee drive, i guess i can only go for socket 1151 as i don't have other fittings..:)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
may i use one of pci-e 8pins of the psu to power a gpu with 2 pci-e 8 pins?

You mean in order to power two video cards? Because the SF600 has 2x 6+2 PCIe connectors already.

For normal video cards that should be okay, but I wouldn't try that if you will heavily overclock it or it is a non-typical card like the 295X2.