Build for 3900X/X570

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Help for a 3900x/x570 build.

I am upgrading from a 4930K, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, Fractal Define R6 case (huge), 16 gig ram, Asus board, 6 years old, showing some age. Random re-boots, OC failures, even though OC not turned on.

Primary use will be various CAD programs, some 3D rendering (both cpu and gpu), and photo editing/management, MS office and internet use.

In order of preference: Quiet, Small or small”ish”, Air cooled, No window

I am an advanced beginner to intermediate builder, a bit older, and this will be my last premium build. Budget is flexible, want parts to be well matched, high quality/reliable, stable, easy usability and last me another 5+ years. Dust filters on case a must – cats!! Maybe play with auto OC for cpu; XMP only for memory. No games. No manual tuning.

Option 1
3900x (purchased)
MSI 2060 Ventus OC edition 6GB (9” long by 5” high) (purchased)
Corsair MP600 nvme pcie Gen4 1TB (boot/primary drive) (purchased)

Need:
1) Cerberus X case, intriguing small build, with proper fans and dust filters. Noise?

2) Noctua NH-C14S with two 140mm fans, per Noctua: “low turbo/overclocking headroom” for the 3900x. Major concern is cooling for 3900X with air. Want upgrade path to 3950x or other AM4 down the road.

3) 2nd 2GB nvme drive (Gen3), Sabrent Rocket 2gb now on sale Newegg, Room for one 2.5” SSD

4) Memory – 32gb memory, 3200 or 3600 speed with reasonable timings. 40mm maximum stick height for NH-C14s, 2x16 or 4x8, whichever makes more sense. Have read that higher rated 3200 may be better than lower rated 3600.

5) ATX Motherboard-Wifi ok/rgb ok if I can turn off. Want at least 2 nvme slots, 3 even better. Like idea of numerical led bios readout for diagnostics, with reset CMOS and bios flashback. Good power delivery, quiet VRM fans. Stability and good, easy to use BIOS important. 1gb lan.

6) Corsair SFX 600 Platinum power supply

Option 2: easier build, but bigger
Replace case with Fractal Define C for better cooling, quiet. (or other recommendation)

Noctua NH-D15

Memory height not as critical as with Cerberus X

Full size ATX power supply—which one?

I have the most difficulty with the motherboard selection and memory. ASRock Taichi x570 has everything noted above, but not sure about BIOS or quality of board. Have read varying reviews. While no gaming or high overclock needed, seems higher end (priced) boards tend to have all of these features.

Please help with motherboard, memory and 2nd NVME 2TB drive, and any other ideas. Thank you!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome to SFF!

Indeed as your request is to cool r9 3900x with aircooler in SFF, my recommendation will be quite simple :
  • As pioneer and big lover of Cerberus-X, I will recommend it with Noctua c14s and dual fan as intake (as cpu is your main priority)
  • As more standard case, pretty compact and efficient on cooling I will recommend fractal meshify, with dual front intake fans and nh-d15...:)
Meshify is almost double the size of Cerberus-x. Check my build log in signature...I’ve tried almost all possible setups...;) I’m even testing 92mm watercooling..:)

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
To clarify, you recommend dual fans on the c14s as intake and:
Perforated side panel on Cerberus X?
Is top fan needed, what size, and exhaust or intake?
Is front fan needed, what size and exhaust or intake?
Is rear fan needed, what size, assume exhaust
Bottom fans: I assume 2, intake, NF-A12x25 would be best?

Thank you very much. (Love your cat!)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@rschill65 Hello and welcome!

3900x and Cerberus X driver here.

@MarcParis has a ton of great testing and experience with his Cerberus X and various setups. I found is thread invaluable when building mine and my Son's PCs in this chassis. He is the go to guy on this case around here for sure.

What he is stating (99% sure) is to set the Noctua C14s with its included single fan as intake with the perforated side panel. In addition to that recommends two intake fans either in the floor or one on the floor and one in lower front under the PSU. Finally one top fan which is 120x15mm (slim Noctua is perfect here) as exhaust.

Here are pics of mine. The Cerberus X is very easy to cool on air, easy to work in, and takes up a small amount of space for full ATX. Just love them. Noise is subjective but with good fans and tuning I find it purrs along nearly silent at idle and under load the woosh is not offensive.

I use my two floor fans as exhaust because during gaming I have found that it keeps the gpu heat from pushing up to the cpu area. Please note that I am NOT running the front fan any longer as it made no real difference in temps and adds more fan noise to tame. Two on the floor and one on the top and good to go.

Panel on

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
To clarify, you recommend dual fans on the c14s as intake and:
Perforated side panel on Cerberus X?
Is top fan needed, what size, and exhaust or intake?
Is front fan needed, what size and exhaust or intake?
Is rear fan needed, what size, assume exhaust
Bottom fans: I assume 2, intake, NF-A12x25 would be best?

Thank you very much. (Love your cat!)
@rschill65 Hello and welcome!

3900x and Cerberus X driver here.

@MarcParis has a ton of great testing and experience with his Cerberus X and various setups. I found is thread invaluable when building mine and my Son's PCs in this chassis. He is the go to guy on this case around here for sure.

What he is stating (99% sure) is to set the Noctua C14s with its included single fan as intake with the perforated side panel. In addition to that recommends two intake fans either in the floor or one on the floor and one in lower front under the PSU. Finally one top fan which is 120x15mm (slim Noctua is perfect here) as exhaust.

Here are pics of mine. The Cerberus X is very easy to cool on air, easy to work in, and takes up a small amount of space for full ATX. Just love them. Noise is subjective but with good fans and tuning I find it purrs along nearly silent at idle and under load the woosh is not offensive.

I use my two floor fans as exhaust because during gaming I have found that it keeps the gpu heat from pushing up to the cpu area. Please note that I am NOT running the front fan any longer as it made no real difference in temps and adds more fan noise to tame. Two on the floor and one on the top and good to go.

Panel on

Thanks @TheHig !

In fact depending on your needs (CPU or GPU focus), you 2 choices :
  • CPU focus (best CPU temperature, but higher GPU temp & noise) :
    • Put 1 or 2 fan on Noctua C14S as intake
    • Put one top slim 120mm + Rear 92mm as Exhaust
  • GPU focus (gaming mainly) : Target is to remove hot as fast possible
    • Put 2 fan on Noctua C14S as Exhaust. Top fan should be fixed directly on side bracket to exhaust maximum hot air coming from GPU
    • Put one top slim 120mm + Rear 92mm as Intake
In any case, 2 bottom fans as intake are more than welcome to provide fresh air to GPU

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Thanks for your comments.
Should the rear exhaust be the Noctua NF-A9 or the slim version NF-A9x14?
And two 140mm for the bottom?

Just curious I have the same video card as you, although I probably won't push it as hard as games do, what is your cpu, mb, and ram?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for your comments.
Should the rear exhaust be the Noctua NF-A9 or the slim version NF-A9x14?
And two 140mm for the bottom?

Just curious I have the same video card as you, although I probably won't push it as hard as games do, what is your cpu, mb, and ram?
Rear fan should be standard nf-a9x25..:)

at bottom I don’t recommend at all dual 140mm as they a bit large. I recommend dual nfa12x25 with filters...it is simply perfect..:)

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
140mm fans in the floor will deny access to any headers in the lower edge of the Mobo in my experience.

My specs.
3900x
MSI Meg Ace
4x8 C14 3200 Team Dark pro ram

rschill65

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Awesome -- changed build to 2 120's.
I have chosen the MSI Unify; and probably G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16 C14
How did you decide between 4 vs 2 memory sticks? Does it matter? I will never go more than 32gb, so I don't need the empty slots.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I had two different kits of 2x8Gb of that ram after buying second set months after the first. If starting fresh at this point 2x16Gb is the way to go with current pricing. Plenty for most people and room to grow.

The Unify looks like a great board and is the basically the Ace without some bling. I’m on all m.2 storage and the 3 slots are welcome as is the reduced cable clutter.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I had two different kits of 2x8Gb of that ram after buying second set months after the first. If starting fresh at this point 2x16Gb is the way to go with current pricing. Plenty for most people and room to grow.

The Unify looks like a great board and is the basically the Ace without some bling. I’m on all m.2 storage and the 3 slots are welcome as is the reduced cable clutter.
This topic reminds me reasons of my choice to return to ATX motherboard over mini ITX...(m.2 slots well vented, RAM slots, space around cpu socket, good to kickass audio output, choice of motherboards).
When I compared to my SM550, motherboard choice seems so poor.
I'll keep my Cerberus-X as my main setup..:D