Concept OMNI PLUGin 300 - Full feature Plugin DC-ATX

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@Thehack did you end up offering these? Hadn't seen any word of it on the web store.

I've got my 200X running now from an SFX PSU, but considering moving to either an external brick (e.g. Dell 280W or similar) or internal Meanwell RPS.

With the 200X I'd obviously need a 12V source, and be able to split the PCIe power from the DC input. With the 300X I could have a single path from AC -> DC -> 300X -> ATX & PCIe, correct?

The wide-band input would certainly expand my options of AC-DC adapters considerably as I could use a more-readily available 19V adapter!

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
@Thehack did you end up offering these? Hadn't seen any word of it on the web store.

I've got my 200X running now from an SFX PSU, but considering moving to either an external brick (e.g. Dell 280W or similar) or internal Meanwell RPS.

With the 200X I'd obviously need a 12V source, and be able to split the PCIe power from the DC input. With the 300X I could have a single path from AC -> DC -> 300X -> ATX & PCIe, correct?

The wide-band input would certainly expand my options of AC-DC adapters considerably as I could use a more-readily available 19V adapter!
HD Plex is supposedly launching their 250w and 500W all in on gan units this summer iirc. This seems stalled. I've been inquiring about this for over a year, but the workload seems big.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I would really like to see this come out because it would be awesome for 12v battery systems. There is a big gap in dc-dc conversion products below 16v and at decent wattage with serious amperage on 12v. The only one i know of was pico box and they stop at about 200 watts and their 12v rail was too weak for a GPU.

There is no "wide input" dc-atx that has a strong 12v rail that I know of... you have to go up to 16v for Hdplex

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
HD Plex is supposedly launching their 250w and 500W all in on gan units this summer iirc. This seems stalled. I've been inquiring about this for over a year, but the workload seems big.
There was a preview render or photo on Reddit (or maybe on HDPlex Discord?) recently, of the 500W unit I think.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I would really like to see this come out because it would be awesome for 12v battery systems. There is a big gap in dc-dc conversion products below 16v and at decent wattage with serious amperage on 12v. The only one i know of was pico box and they stop at about 200 watts and their 12v rail was too weak for a GPU.

There is no "wide input" dc-atx that has a strong 12v rail that I know of... you have to go up to 16v for Hdplex
Have you looked at G-Unique's ArchDaemon units? They go up to at least 500W AFAIK.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
The only thing im aware of there is the Arch demon kit with the modded brick, but this is not an independent dc-dc cause the Pcie connector is just passing through the 12v from the brick, so it requires that the power is already regulated to 12v.

What I need is wide 12v input dc-atx that is regulating and filtering the input to 12v and has 30+ amps on 12v rail. Essentially do what the HDplex 400 does - except, do it wider input. So im super interested in something 12-24v because it's more flexible.

Reactions: Arboreal

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The only thing im aware of there is the Arch demon kit with the modded brick, but this is not an independent dc-dc cause the Pcie connector is just passing through the 12v from the brick, so it requires that the power is already regulated to 12v.

What I need is wide 12v input dc-atx that is regulating and filtering the input to 12v and has 30+ amps on 12v rail. Essentially do what the HDplex 400 does - except, do it wider input. So im super interested in something 12-24v because it's more flexible.
Is there some advantage to "independent DC-DC"? IMO direct 12V is preferable, both due to increased efficiency (fewer conversion steps) and potentially lower noise (assuming a good AC-12VDC PSU), as the HDPLEX style setup adds a (typically quite noisy) step-down converter onto its 19V input. You also keep all notable heat in one spot (the AC-DC brick/PSU). And you avoid the output loss/spec confusion of multiple in-line voltage conversions (a "400W" HDPLEX setup can only output ~376W due to the 400W output of its AC-DC brick and the 94% efficiency of its DC-DC conversion circuit). 12V makes for simpler circuitry, fewer components necessary for clean power, but slightly thicker wiring needed. IMO that's more than worth the trade-off. The only real advantage of higher-than-12V is being able to use simpler/smaller connectors for external bricks and wider availability of said bricks.

You also don't need Gury's modded brick for the ArchDaemon - it can be used with any 12V PSU that meets the ATX spec for ripple and noise (and even some that don't depending on the quality of your components and your desire for overclocking). MeanWell has several good options.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Agree with everything, the only reason is I have a weird scenario. I am using dc battery power source so I have unregulated 12v dc power as the starting point.

So if I can find a wide input dc-atx, then I don't have to add an expensive, separate 12V dc-dc regulator which would cost me about $275 for 30 amps.