News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Ok I'll change my tune and take the glass half full approach:

Manufacturers knew the 1650ti was coming and based on sales of 1050 vs. 1050ti low profile cards they decided to not develop and produce 1650 LP cards and instead wait for 1650ti launch to just maintain one SKU.

This was my thought when read the recent 1650Ti rumors. I don't know if I'm being too optimistic. Very hopeful certainly...

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
With a J-Hack Pure X showing up in the next week or two I'll be migrating my 1050ti low profile build over to that case. It's going to be real hard to resist the urge to purchase a 1650 and wait for more news about a 1650ti.

Reactions: robbee

rogar308

Caliper Novice
Jul 18, 2019
I heard created a rumor that the GTX 1770 LP will be coming out in December 2019 just in time for Santa's sleigh. Zoltac claims that the 1st 100 puchases will include a pair of minecraft elves and a kazoo. Not to be outdone, MSI said they would ship a free lifesize blowup of frosty the snowman to the first 200 buyers for their version. ASUS, go big or go home marketing said they are going to raffle off 25 of their new Christmas Tree edition laptops that offers more blinking leds then the Deathstar. This may or may not be true....

Reactions: Choidebu

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Just for fun I checked amazon japan. It was not fun.

Zotac 1650 LP is 24,960 JPY
Asus 1650 LP is 22,650 JPY
Asus, gigabyte, 玄人志向 1650 is 16,300 to 17,000 JPY
MSI 1050ti LP is 13,900 JPY

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
you can buy the Asus OC 1650LP in Germany for €185

Yes, it is now available (in small quantities) across most of Europe, and I think also Russia (although I haven't gotten certain confirmation of that yet). And of course Japan and China. Not yet available in the UK, Australia, or anywhere in the western hemisphere so far as I have seen...

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Ok, this is frustrating. BLT is still waiting for its very first shipment of Zotac cards; apparently they expected a shipment today, but no joy. However, a Canadian site I've been monitoring (which sold completely out of stock weeks ago) has just received 33 new cards.

:(

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Now that Canada has been restocked with Zotac cards, US customers can again order imported Canadian cards through Newegg. At a significant markup, of course.

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Yes, it is now available (in small quantities) across most of Europe, and I think also Russia (although I haven't gotten certain confirmation of that yet). And of course Japan and China. Not yet available in the UK, Australia, or anywhere in the western hemisphere so far as I have seen...

You've been able to buy it at Scorptec for like three months now lol... I have one in my components box ready to go for an L5 build (when I receive my g-unique unit)

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
You've been able to buy it at Scorptec for like three months now lol...

Yep, Australia was among the first to be blessed by Zotac. Even before Japan got the card, if I remember correctly. Canada was the last to receive them, I think. The US has been pretty much shut out... :(

EDIT: That is, the Zotac card. More recently, the MSI card has also been made available at Scorptec. But the Asus card hasn't shown up there yet, which is what I was talking about in the quoted post. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fleetfeather

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I was just reading the reviews of the Zotac card on Amazon's German site. They all say about the same thing; great performance for a low profile card, but very loud. Ratings given for the card appeared to depend on how well the user could handle the noise...

Reactions: RichterSnipes

Weta

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 7, 2019
I bought the Zotac 1650LP last week. I live in the UK and I am in a similar situation to the previous user who reported earler in the thread, in that I have the Gigabyte 1050ti with periodic signal loss, so I've been looking for an upgrade for my ex-office HP machine.

After using the Zotac for a few days I have ended up returning it for noise reasons. The PC is in the living room and the volume levels really were significantly louder than the old 1050ti. Even the baseline 40% speed is distracting and a lot louder than any of our other technology.

YMMV of course, but it wasn't really suitable for our home setup. Performance was fine but I just can't recommend it in good faith. Instead I am just going to RMA the 1050ti and upgrade to a card with a better noise profile somewhere down the line.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Even the baseline 40% speed is distracting and a lot louder than any of our other technology.

Ok, this might be interesting -- the only user review I have found for the Asus card so far also complains about the noise, but only when the card is under load; otherwise it is quiet. I'm not sure how to far to push one single point of data (especially one run through Google to translate Japanese to English), but it might be something to consider.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
@Copernicus - Any idea if the Asus card fans turn off on idle?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. :( I've been poking around the net a little for that data, but have yet to find anything. I haven't tried contacting Asus directly; I think I recall @smitty2k1 sending them a note...

Ok, found it. He was asking them about the release date of the card. Dunno if we should send them a note (or even ask again if they plan to start selling their products here in the US, since nobody seems to want to...)

EDIT: Ok, I've sent a note to Asus. Don't know when (or if) they will reply, though.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
I bought the Zotac 1650LP last week. I live in the UK and I am in a similar situation to the previous user who reported earler in the thread, in that I have the Gigabyte 1050ti with periodic signal loss, so I've been looking for an upgrade for my ex-office HP machine.

After using the Zotac for a few days I have ended up returning it for noise reasons. The PC is in the living room and the volume levels really were significantly louder than the old 1050ti. Even the baseline 40% speed is distracting and a lot louder than any of our other technology.

YMMV of course, but it wasn't really suitable for our home setup. Performance was fine but I just can't recommend it in good faith. Instead I am just going to RMA the 1050ti and upgrade to a card with a better noise profile somewhere down the line.
I'm more tolerant of fan sound than others. The whirring of this card's fans kind of becomes white noise to me. Well, just so long as it isn't at load. Then I just hope that whatever I'm watching/playing has a loud volume at that point. I can easily see why some might not be able to tolerate the noise, though. It's a reason why I'm interested in BIOS flashing options to access lower fan speeds.

As for RMAing your Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti LP, don't be surprised if it doesn't fix your flashing problem. Two RMAs for me didn't fix it. I have a sneaking suspicion that my issue was actually related to an HDMI splitter I used with another one of my components hooked up to the TV.

Reactions: Weta and Copernicus

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Unfortunately, I have no idea. :( I've been poking around the net a little for that data, but have yet to find anything. I haven't tried contacting Asus directly; I think I recall @smitty2k1 sending them a note...

Ok, found it. He was asking them about the release date of the card. Dunno if we should send them a note (or even ask again if they plan to start selling their products here in the US, since nobody seems to want to...)

EDIT: Ok, I've sent a note to Asus. Don't know when (or if) they will reply, though.
I just asked about availability. I'm pretty sure there is not a zero rpm fan mode based on promo materials, unlike the Asus 1050ti low profile. Hopefully the fans at least go lower than 40% though...

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
The very friendly Asus tech got back with me today. It would appear that the low profile card does indeed offer full control over fan speed:

To answer your question, yes the fans by default shouldn't be spinning if the threshold temperature has not been reached yet. So when in idle, it's normal for the speed to drop below 40% and can be dropped to zero.