News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Well, I'll be... Exactly how long has Zotac been selling its products directly to the public, rather than through retailers? In any case, my incessant Google searching has suddenly turned up the fact that you can buy the LP 1650 card directly from Zotac itself and have it shipped to the US (or anywhere else, I presume). Google timestamp says it discovered this web page five hours ago, but I have no idea how long it has actually existed. Price is probably the best possible ($149.99), but shipping is rather expensive.

It's back in stock again. Time to buy for you US dwellers?

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
It's back in stock again. Time to buy for you US dwellers?
I'm hoping that this Saturday will finally be the one Zotac selects to allow US retailers to carry the card. (Quite a few retailers her now list the card, and both NextWarehouse and BLT say on their websites that shipments are already on the way.) But yeah, I might get an itchy trigger finger if yet another weekend goes by...

Reactions: Choidebu

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
I nearly pull the trigger on that MSI card in Amazon jp, but what keep me hesitate is because of poor port selection and my board is Gigabyte (don't want to mix match). If they offer 2 HDMI or HDMI+DP, I would get that.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I nearly pull the trigger on that MSI card in Amazon jp, but what keep me hesitate is because of poor port selection and my board is Gigabyte (don't want to mix match). If they offer 2 HDMI or HDMI+DP, I would get that.

Yeah it sucks, not being able to use adaptive sync on a lower end card is really a big minus...

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Well, another Saturday has arrived, and yet still no Zotac cards have made it to the US. MSI is missing in action. ASUS hasn't even started producing their cards yet.

I'm frustrated.

But hey, I did find another LP 1650 manufacturer with a new web page describing their (as yet un-produced) product: Galax. Dunno anything about them myself, though.

Also, ASUS is producing two separate versions of their LP card. One is an "OC" card, but both apparently have an "overclock mode"; it's just that the OC card's mode is even faster.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well, another Saturday has arrived, and yet still no Zotac cards have made it to the US. MSI is missing in action. ASUS hasn't even started producing their cards yet.

I'm frustrated.

But hey, I did find another LP 1650 manufacturer with a new web page describing their (as yet un-produced) product: Galax. Dunno anything about them myself, though.

Also, ASUS is producing two separate versions of their LP card. One is an "OC" card, but both apparently have an "overclock mode"; it's just that the OC card's mode is even faster.

I emailed ASUS with a link to the GTX 1650 low profile and asked for a release date and this is what they gave me the usual BS: "ASUS is constantly developing inspiring and innovative products, but at this time we have no information on that particular product. You can visit our Asus latest news webpage at www.asus.com/us/News/ for information about our soon to be released products "

rogar308

Caliper Novice
Jul 18, 2019
Before you do anything, have you researched the power output of pcie slot in your particular model? It's OEM, might be crippled. See this dell optiplex build.

Thanks for the heads up but that wasn't the issue. If 'safe boot' is enabled in the bios and you have a non-dell video card you can't access the bios. Which means, if the bios is set to the non-legacy boot setting and it doesn't have the legacy boot option with uefi (or whatever the heck the other sata type is called) enabled (if it even has that option as the older pc's don't) then you won't be able to boot from a usb drive period. However, once I yanked the video card and connected the monitor to the integrated video I was able to access the bios & turn safe boot off. Now I can toggle between sata types and boot off either external or internal drives as desired with the video card installed and connected to the monitor.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Would using the Asus 1650 Low Profile OC with a PCIE Riser rated at 75W be a bad idea? Just considering the power usage of a card like this can go above 75W.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Would using the Asus 1650 Low Profile OC with a PCIE Riser rated at 75W be a bad idea? Just considering the power usage of a card like this can go above 75W.
I'm fairly certain that if the power usage of this card went above 75W, it wouldn't function. A PCIe slot (even the more recent versions) can only provide 75W of power. (And even cards that do use more than 75W get the additional power via a cable...)

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
One more new out-of-stock retailer for the US: Connection (or "PC Connection", seems to go by two names). $159.64.

Of the two retailers who report actually having shipments on the way, NextWarehouse still believes their shipment of 5 cards is due to arrive last Thursday, which is somewhat humorous, and BLT has several shipments on order (for a total of 14 cards) expected to arrive next Thursday and Friday (15th and 16th). If these guys are to be believed, there are boxes in motion from Zotac to the US at this very moment. Just wish they would arrive already. :(

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for the heads up but that wasn't the issue. If 'safe boot' is enabled in the bios and you have a non-dell video card you can't access the bios. Which means, if the bios is set to the non-legacy boot setting and it doesn't have the legacy boot option with uefi (or whatever the heck the other sata type is called) enabled (if it even has that option as the older pc's don't) then you won't be able to boot from a usb drive period. However, once I yanked the video card and connected the monitor to the integrated video I was able to access the bios & turn safe boot off. Now I can toggle between sata types and boot off either external or internal drives as desired with the video card installed and connected to the monitor.
What models are your Dells? I had a lot of weird issues with mine, but fortunately the BIOS seems to be entirely devoid of whitelists and similar nonsense - but then I had it reset by my employer before they gave me the PC. Once I got a working PCIe riser, it boots straight into windows or from whatever USB drive I might have attached. The spec sheet for my Optiplex 990 says the PCIe slot is limited to 35W, but given that my graphics card has external power I haven't had an opportunity to check if this is a real limitation or purely an on-paper spec.
As @Copernicus says, GPUs without external PCIe power plugs can't draw more than 75W (technically around 65W on the 12V rail, though this detail seems to be ignored quite often) without exceeding the PCIe slot specification - which can again seriously damage motherboards. In other words, slot-powered GPUs normally have pretty strict power limits baked into firmware to avoid this. Risers are rated at 75W to match the slot specification.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I don't remember which thread it was here on SFF, but someone had a discussion on various PCIe riser cables and some support 75w and some don't. It's interesting that it is easier to power cards with PCIe power connectors in conjunction with the PCIe riser than the 'low power' 75 watt cards that don't use a power plug :)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Pcie slot contacts physically can withstand more than 75W. Even the cheap manufacturer rate them at 3.3A per pin at 50°C, which is way unrealistic operating environment. 3.3A over 5 pins, 12V means close to 200W. The spec, however, limits this to 1.1A per pin, meaning 5*12V*1.1A = 66W. The remaining is delivered via 3.3V.

Motherboard manufacturers are bound by the spec however, and this restriction is probably put to use in the trace length/width. AFAIK they only route power pins from 24 pin, this could be an interesting thing to test continuity on...

Risers do drop more voltage the more flexible they are (means the wire inside is thinner) and the longer they are.

But I find it hard to believe that as far as 12V power is concerned it'll drop enough to matter. Even 30AWG cable has like, what, 0.3 ohm per meter? That means it drops 0.15V for 1.1A over 50cm cable.

Now that kind of voltage drop for 3.3V is significant. Maybe this is where previous incompatibilities arise from?

It's interesting that it is easier to power cards with PCIe power connectors in conjunction with the PCIe riser than the 'low power' 75 watt cards that don't use a power plug :)
We're pushing the boundaries, and at some point, the boundary push back. That's how we know we're at the right track.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Lol I just read 2016 reports of RX480 violating the standard and pulls more than 90W through the slot, killing it >_<

From overclock.net, after 8/9 hrs gameplay

Bitcoin mining, fries usb risers

Made headline, amd pushes driver to gimp the card lol

Edit: so yeah, I think what happens here is as what I'm saying, the traces on the board is the weak link. After prolonged gaming session it must've heated up enough to release itself from the board material and proceeds to shrink and snapped when cooled down abruptly after the pc is off or sleeps.

Now usb risers - this one's funny - 90W over one USB cable! I - I can't even...

Last edited:

rogar308

Caliper Novice
Jul 18, 2019
What models are your Dells?
->All Optiplex sff 980, 9020, 5050 & 7060 all bought off of ebay. One of my many weaknesses. My co-worker just tells me I should pony up for a new 'real' pc and he's probably right. Maybe I'm a little special that way.

I've finished with the 980 (dad's pc) & 9020 (outlaws pc) and they have very basic dedicated video cards. The 5050 (wife's pc) is working and is still 'in progress' for upgrades. The 7060 (my pc) I haven't gotten to yet as I've been busy with many things but it is on the todo list to at least sanity test this week.

I am curious as I've seem some riser builds stuffing the video card in the hard drive bay which may be doable with a pc that can use an M2 drive which the 5050 & 7060 both have. Would it be possible to upgrade the power supply to 315 watts, downgrade the cpu to a 35 watt T model and then get the Zoltac 1080 ti mini (250 watts) and have it work without causing the pc to go full retard (Tropic Thunder movie quote)? It *seems* like it may be doable in theory anyway. It would be pretty froggy to have an sff running a 1080 ti. I did see Zoltac made a mini PC with one but it seems like from the reviews it goes chernobyl pretty often under serious gaming and it's like $1600 which is not cheap.

The MSI 1050 ti LP I bought off ebay did arrive yesterday packed like it was high grade plutonium but I was running out to a friends house so I just threw (ok gently placed) the package into the cooler in my trunk. Don't ask, I dunno, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.

I'm at the outlaws now and depending on when I get home I may try it out along with the 7060. Otherwise probably tomorrow if I can avoid mowing the lawn again. I do have 'mow lawn avoidance ' at skill rank 10 so I've got a decent chance.

As a general note, thanks to everyone for all the awesome info, pics and posts.

08/12/2019 Update: I just scored this off of ebay. I've heard it has a loud fan under load. I'll give it a shot and see how bad it is. I saw one guy here on forum made some pretty rad changes to help it cool better & quieter. Not sure if I'm quite ready to get that crazy just yet.
ASL G1504 4GB DDR5 1050TI Low Profile Single Slot

08/12/2019 Update2:
The spec sheet for my Optiplex 990 says the PCIe slot is limited to 35W, but given that my graphics card has external power I haven't had an opportunity to check if this is a real limitation or purely an on-paper spec.
->I seem to recall multiple folks saying that those limits on the slots are purposefully listed low. At least the ones below 75 watts. Hard to say for certain what the real limits are without testing but I may be finding out soon as I start upgrading video cards on various computers. There very well may be different limits between peak power limits (short time bursts) versus steady high power limits as Choidebu pointed out above in the case of the usb cable getting cooked. Many times there is value in pushing the limit until failure when it can be used as a learning experiment.

Last edited: