News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Who needs photos anyways? I want confirmed specs and dimensions.
Because photos mean we are closer to (or at) launch and availability!
Also, I want to confirm the design will use a 5-pin fan header like on the ASUS 1050ti low profile. All other 1050ti low profiles use 2/3 pin fan headers that do not allow proper fan control. The ASUS model has a the ability to set the fans to zero RPM.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
TechPowerUp has completed a review of the GTX 1650 that, I believe, shows exactly what Nvidia was attempting to accomplish with this card. Among their tests, they analyzed the performance per watt of this card against a number of alternatives; at 1080p, it beat them _all_. Check out this graph:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1650_SC_Ultra_Black/

The RX 570 is shown to have much better efficiency results when undervolted. Roughly 90 watts if you tone it down to the 1650's level of performance.

And this is where it gets interesting with Vega 56 because when you clock that down to the 570's clock speeds, that Vega 56 only pulls 125w of power.

Imagine how well the perf/watt could do against the competition if AMD released a 40 CU or 48 CU version with similar clocks

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Would love to see Navi 7nm 40 or 48. There was a rumor about Vega 48 a while back if I recall. That or just something people wanted to see.

Also on the rx 570 it was running at 1200 vs 1700 or so on the core for similar performance. Interesting stuff.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
To be honest, most modern cards undervolt incredibly well. The two Aero ITX 1070 I've had easily gain +21% perf/W at performance levels above that of a stock 1070 - and that's an architecture supposedly already tuned for maximum efficiency. Haven't yet even tried more dramatic undervolting yet. The real interesting question is, how much lower can the 1650 and 1660Ti go?

Last edited:

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
The RX 570 is shown to have much better efficiency results when undervolted. Roughly 90 watts if you tone it down to the 1650's level of performance.

And this is where it gets interesting with Vega 56 because when you clock that down to the 570's clock speeds, that Vega 56 only pulls 125w of power.

Imagine how well the perf/watt could do against the competition if AMD released a 40 CU or 48 CU version with similar clocks

Well, but that's the thing, right? A least up to now, AMD has been sticking to pushing more power through their GPUs, and letting Nvidia do the hard work of creating efficient hardware. I'd appreciate an AMD effort to truly compete on efficiency terms, but they just don't have a good history of doing so. (Although I guess they are producing what the market wants...)

Reactions: owliwar

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Finally looks like the low-profile form of the 1650 is going to appear. OC3D has posted that Zotac may be showing off an LP 1650 at Computex next week...

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Finally looks like the low-profile form of the 1650 is going to appear. OC3D has posted that Zotac may be showing off an LP 1650 at Computex next week...

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
I have an Inno3d RTX 2070 and I would have been really, really happy if they had left the DVI off.
I have a FE 2060. I could go either way. I just retired my U2711, but I used the DVI for a while on it (DP and HDMI were already taken by other sources). Same with my BenQ 2420. Both monitors had a smorgasbord of connectors (DVI, DP, HDMI, VGA; the old Dell added Component/Composite; both had various audio outputs), which seem to be lacking on almost any modern monitor.

Of course, now I am on a single LG 32" G-sync monitor (which only has a single DP and single HDMI), so I no longer have a need for a DL-DVI connection.

It could be worse, I remember having a card that only had SL-DVI. Basically the worst of both worlds: massive connector with only half the bandwidth.

For a Low Profile card, without question, drop the DVI. Thankfully, Pascal discontinued native VGA support, so it's less likely to show up on LP cards nowadays. MiniDP is a licensing poison pill (thanks, Apple), but USB-C is now viable. One HDMI and two USB-C alt mode connectors should do the trick on most computers.

Though, the extra cost of an USB-C controller is probably a no-go for most cards in this segment.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
More straight from the horse's mouth:
ZOTAC GAMING graphics cards will show off some new designs, including the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1650 Low Profile fit for height restricted spaces

Here's a link to the Zotac press release:

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Tom's hardware checked in with Zotac at Computex and took a look at the LP 1650. Nothing new to say about the card, but they did say "will release at end of Q2". So, end of June? No price info either.

Reactions: Lone and owliwar

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Nice find, although I wonder what influenced their decision to put DVI and HDMI but no Displayport.

Yeah it's strange... On the bright side, the single slot IO will make it easier to replace the fans with quieter or more potent fans.

Reactions: Jello and owliwar

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Release slowly creeping closer... ZOTAC now has a web page up for their low profile card. (Although they are currently showing the wrong card in the overview section of the page.)

Reactions: Jello and owliwar