Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Hey guys, first post here. I have a black Steck with top hat and 2 fans exhausting from the top. I love this case and i hate it at the same time lol. I have an 8700k delidded and also lapped IHS and L12S cooler and i have insanely good temps - running all core 5ghz on air cooling with the fin stack oriented vertically (the heat pipes are horizontal). My problem here is that my EVGA 2080ti Black edition is cooking inside this case for some reason. If i take the side panel off, and the top panel off, i can get this card to run at 75C. it has a 200mhz OC on, and 500mhz on the Ram. When brought to stock, it still makes not difference in the temps. It has been checked and fresh kryonaut applied. Even tried liquid metal on the GPU as well. If i put the side panels on and the top panel on, this thing hits 86 easily while gaming - but the side panels off defeats the purpose of this build. This card has 2 fans, i'm wondering if one of these Gigabyte windforce triple fans will help, and if anyone has any advice on how to get this card running cooler. I feel like this is too hot for long term life of the card. Im wishing the side panels had bigger holes, or more holes, and the top panel had alot more holes and less restrictions. Really looking forward to V2 version with bigger, more open air panels, less restrictive top (and bottom).

payo36

Caliper Novice
May 1, 2019
www.minicomputers.net
Hey guys, first post here. I have a black Steck with top hat and 2 fans exhausting from the top. I love this case and i hate it at the same time lol. I have an 8700k delidded and also lapped IHS and L12S cooler and i have insanely good temps - running all core 5ghz on air cooling with the fin stack oriented vertically (the heat pipes are horizontal). My problem here is that my EVGA 2080ti Black edition is cooking inside this case for some reason. If i take the side panel off, and the top panel off, i can get this card to run at 75C. it has a 200mhz OC on, and 500mhz on the Ram. When brought to stock, it still makes not difference in the temps. It has been checked and fresh kryonaut applied. Even tried liquid metal on the GPU as well. If i put the side panels on and the top panel on, this thing hits 86 easily while gaming - but the side panels off defeats the purpose of this build. This card has 2 fans, i'm wondering if one of these Gigabyte windforce triple fans will help, and if anyone has any advice on how to get this card running cooler. I feel like this is too hot for long term life of the card. Im wishing the side panels had bigger holes, or more holes, and the top panel had alot more holes and less restrictions. Really looking forward to V2 version with bigger, more open air panels, less restrictive top (and bottom).
I had Galax 2080 Ti (2 fans 2 slots) it run very hot, the only time that it will not reach 84 C is outside of the case. One day it went dead so I exchanged it for Gigabyte Windforce (3 fans 2 slots). The temp is a lot better, inside Steck it run max 75C ( OC 150MHz) and 69C when all panels opened. It has better temp when I put it in Sliger SM550 (Vented panels) with 2 exhaust fans at the bottom (71c Max). Please note that my ambient is high 26-27C.

One annoying thing about this card is the zero RPM fan mode, it has click sound when fans start to spin. This problem has been known with Windforce card since 1080Ti. My solution is to set the fan to spin at minimum 40% in Afterburner.

If Steck holes pattern extend more toward top and bottom edge, say 10 more rows it will cool a lot better.

Reactions: Megaman0025

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
I had Galax 2080 Ti (2 fans 2 slots) it run very hot, the only time that it will not reach 84 C is outside of the case. One day it went dead so I exchanged it for Gigabyte Windforce (3 fans 2 slots). The temp is a lot better, inside Steck it run max 75C ( OC 150MHz) and 69C when all panels opened. It has better temp when I put it in Sliger SM550 (Vented panels) with 2 exhaust fans at the bottom (71c Max). Please note that my ambient is high 26-27C.

One annoying thing about this card is the zero RPM fan mode, it has click sound when fans start to spin. This problem has been known with Windforce card since 1080Ti. My solution is to set the fan to spin at minimum 40% in Afterburner.

If Steck holes pattern extend more toward top and bottom edge, say 10 more rows it will cool a lot better.
thanks for your reply. I agree we need more rows of cooling holes. it would help alot. i think i need to sell my 2080 ti and get the 3 fan windforce version now. And yes, my evga card does the same thing, i set it to a similar fan profile right off the bat due to that annoying on and off clicking sound! haha

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019

What CPU cooler were you running in your SM550??

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
LP53 Cooler Ordered from Ebay, sent from Korea. I had to remove the Mobo heatsink VRM to be able to fit this properly.
From my testing this can cool CPU up to 120 W, My i9 9900k at stock will run 4.4-4.5 GHz on this at full load.
Any advice on which fan you applied to this cooler? I see a lot of people putting noctua 92 X 15mm fans on it, or 92X25 mm fans on it with decent results. Also curious if a 120mm would work any better or not... I'm considering getting the SM550 as a second case for air cooling and keep the steck for future liquid cooling if needed.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Wonder why so few ppl talk about this waterblock : EK-Annihilator
Seems this one has connectors on the sides. Wonder if one can place a ddc pump over that and save some space?

Looks interesting but the link states that it's end of life and was also primarily configured for lga2011 and doesn't include AM4 mounts at all.

With the mounting hardware sitting nearly as tall as the ram in the pictures, I didn't see an actual height spec at a glance but that has to be close to 55 mm. EK's DDC for example with side fitted inlet/outlet is 38mm, so you'd be at ~93mm in that config. You'd probably be better off going with an Apogee II at ~80mm.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
any chance of fitting a 50mm thick gpu in the case? ive seen some shoehorned into dancase which specifies a 45mm gpu as well

You could adjust the standoff distance of the GPU side plate by attaching something like thicker NdFeB magnets. There would be a gap between the main chassis and the side, but that might actually help the airflow path if you don't mind the aesthetics.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
You could adjust the standoff distance of the GPU side plate by attaching something like thicker NdFeB magnets. There would be a gap between the main chassis and the side, but that might actually help the airflow path if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Nice, this could be a viable solution if taking the backplate and shroud off doesn't shave enough off the thickness. Thanks!

dzpliu

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jun 22, 2019
really sad that the side panels+ top panel does not come with screw holes. ?
magnet strips should be optional.
when will there be an upgraded version? V1.1? V2.0?

Last edited:

Balder

Case Bender
Jul 24, 2019
Hi! First time poster here, been lurking for a while. Finally got my Steck last week and assembled it couple nights ago. Looks just as good as hoped but...

I feel like I must have misunderstood something. Quick probing of the thread didn't immediately answer my doubts. So, perhaps someone can help me out a bit?

Since the side plates don't have any screw holes they should attach with the magnetic strips? Am I doing something wrong because it feels like the strips "do nothing" and the panels just fall of immediately or just barely stay on place but fall when I barely even touch the case.

A few pics - Google Drive link

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
Hi! First time poster here, been lurking for a while. Finally got my Steck last week and assembled it couple nights ago. Looks just as good as hoped but...

I feel like I must have misunderstood something. Quick probing of the thread didn't immediately answer my doubts. So, perhaps someone can help me out a bit?

Since the side plates don't have any screw holes they should attach with the magnetic strips? Am I doing something wrong because it feels like the strips "do nothing" and the panels just fall of immediately or just barely stay on place but fall when I barely even touch the case.

A few pics - Google Drive link
Hey Balder, I think you may have fixed the magnetic strips to the wrong side.
The strips should be stuck to the covers and they will hold on to the case/frame magnetically.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: dzpliu

Balder

Case Bender
Jul 24, 2019
Hey Balder, I think you may have fixed the magnetic strips to the wrong side.
The strips should be stuck to the covers and they will hold on to the case/frame magnetically.
Hope this helps.

Well that could certainly be it :D It didn't even cross my mind that the strips should be in the panels, and not within the case :D

Thanks! I'll see if I can remove the first ones with a little heat or tools and try the unused ones...

Reactions: LexImatx

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Well after a 15 day wait I will be able to start my Steck build tonight. I ordered the CPU and motherboard at the same time from Amazon, received the CPU on July 8 and was supposed to receive the motherboard the next day. First I received a delayed shipping notification and came to find out that Amazon's shipping partner manage to lose my motherboard. So I had to wait for them to figure that out, ship a new motherboard and wait for that to arrive. Listed as Out for Delivery atm so should have it by tonight. Have had all the other parts for the build since the 9th and this was just killing me.