Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
Well that could certainly be it :D It didn't even cross my mind that the strips should be in the panels, and not within the case :D

Thanks! I'll see if I can remove the first ones with a little heat or tools and try the unused ones...
I almost did the same myself mate.
Hope you manage to get them moved across.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
@Nouvolo your twitter says black and frost white are out of stock for a few months, for those that have orders already in your system, will they be shipped out or are those delayed as well?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Got my Steck running, didn't have much time to do much than the basic build and install Windows.

Nouvolo Steck
Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz
Corsair SF450 Gold
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
128GB XPG SX8000 M.2
960GB Crucial M500 SSD

I bought the 3600x right after release before seeing any performance comparisons between it and the 3600, if I had known they would perform that close I would have saved the $50. Decided to save some money and get the B450 rather than the X570, the MSI is a nice board. I picked up a Athlon 200GE off ebay to update the BIOS, worked fine and the 3600x is running great.

I have a set of @pslate custom cables ordered, until then I am using a set that I had previously used in my Ncase which are way to long for the Steck. Once I get the new cables I will also be installing a Crucial 960GB 2.5 SSD below the PSU.

Haven't had a chance to install any games or run any benchmarks yet. I am amazed that my idle temps are only 26C, everyone else I have seen running the new Ryzen are getting really high idle temps.

Build went together really well, everything works as it should.

Last edited:

dzpliu

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jun 22, 2019

Got my Steck running, didn't have much time to do much than the basic build and install Windows.

Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz
Corsair SF450 Gold
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
128GB XPG SX8000 M.2

I bought the 3600x right after release before seeing any performance comparisons between it and the 3600, if I had known they would perform that close I would have saved the $50. Decided to save some money and get the B450 rather than the X570, the MSI is a nice board. I picked up a Athlon 200GE off ebay to update the BIOS, worked fine and the 3600x is running great.

I have a set of @pslate custom cables ordered, until then I am using a set that I had previously used in my Ncase which are way to long for the Steck. Once I get the new cables I will also be installing a Crucial 960GB 2.5 SSD below the PSU.

Haven't had a chance to install any games or run any benchmarks yet. I am amazed that my idle temps are only 26C, everyone else I have seen running the new Ryzen are getting really high idle temps.

Build went together really well, everything works as it should.
MSI B450i doesnt have BIOS flashback?

dzpliu

Cable Smoosher
New User
Jun 22, 2019

Ryzen 5 3600
Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac
Sapphire RX470D
2 x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400
EVGA GM550
Noctua L12S
Prolima Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 case fan.
1TB 860EVO SATA
256GB PM871A M.2 SATA (not detected at the moment)

My M.2 worked at first when i was at early BIOS versions with 200GE.
After updating to latest version which supports 3600, my M.2 SATA is not detected anymore sadly.
i figure this should be some kind of BIOS bug. (already tried disabling/enabling CSM/SATA controller settings)

update: worked after updating BIOS to P3.40

Last edited:

Ukee

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 22, 2019
The cooler/fan seems sitting quite low, is it the motherboard (CPU socket)? or can the cooler be orientated differently to get it sit near the center?
Yes it can be centered. However, the rubber mounts and screws actually hit the side mounts for the side panel but it can still fit in just fine, you'll be scratching the case though.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The cooler/fan seems sitting quite low, is it the motherboard (CPU socket)? or can the cooler be orientated differently to get it sit near the center?

If you look at AM4 boards the CPU socket sits higher, lower when inverted, than do the Intel boards. Due to AM4 mounting there are only 2 orientations for the cooler. The one I have now has a cutout in the heatsink for ram clearance and is offset to the left, if I flip it 180 degrees than the right side of the case would be in the way.

And yes it is low, the fan touches the case bottom.

KriZ

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2019
Just wanted to share my experience with this case. Only the Pinky Pie color was available when I ordered, wouldn't have been my choice, but it actually does look pretty sweet! It arrived about a week after I ordered. Unfortunately I won the import tax lottery, so there was an extra 45 euro.

Build quality feels good, the case looks strong enough, and I love the magnetic panels. I don't think I just want to transport it in a backpack though, it doesn't seem sturdy enough to travel. If anyone has advice to transport this thing, would be interesting to hear. :-)

Building in the case was pretty easy. It was my first SFF build, and the most advanced build I've ever done. However, it only took me a couple of hours to get it up and running. The only problems I experienced: figuring out which screws to use for which part (a small instructions note would be useful!). And I forgot to plug in the power button / led connectors on the motherboard, so I had to disconnect the PSU again. Only took a couple of minutes, so no big problem.

My cable management is a mess, might work on that later (f.e. the power cable for my SSD had 3 plugs, which takes up way too much space).

Didn't test thermals yet. I think GPU is fine, as it is only a 1050TI (will probably upgrade that later). CPU seems to run very hot. I think this is because the fan is actually mostly below the holes in the side panel of the case, which obviously isn't great for air flow.

As others have said: more holes in the side panels would be great. If there ever was an upgrade kit with better ventilated side panels, I'd definitely buy it.

Let me know if there's anything I could have done better. :-) Thanks to everyone here for posting your builds and info, really got a lot of useful info from this thread! :-)

dave99

Efficiency Noob
Apr 10, 2019
I'd agree with the side panel holes are simply too small, and too few of them. My CPU temps drop 5-6 C just by removing the side panel. I tend to run it that way, as it's on the right side of my desk and just faces the wall, so you can't see it anyway.

For revision 1.2 or 2.0, much more ventilation is needed on those side panels.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I found a build on Reddit with the BS3 installed on the MSI B450i in a Steck with the cooler mounted 180 degrees from the way I originally had it and it does indeed fit, so I went ahead and rotated the BS3. One nice thing about this orientation is no limit on ram height.

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Would there be a way to jerry rig a front I/O input? From the completed builds I've seen, seems there'd be room either above our below the PSU but would like to hear from builders if at all possible - I'm totally open to hacking the case if I need to.

Or maybe someone's already done it?

Cheers!

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Currently doing mods on my stack case for better intake and exhaust airflow. Final revision will be done this week and more pics after. Finally adding a 2nd rad that is slim on the bottom stack. Noctua fans for push intake on the slim rad while the top stack will have same fans but push exhaust on thick z flow rad.

I feel that by doing this, the airflow would rise up better. And also with case mods, making a large cutout on the bottom panel for full intake air flow without restriction. Also modifying the two panels that mounts the fans and or radiator for less restriction.

Here are the pics to give better explanation.

Last edited:

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
Currently doing mods on my stack case for better intake and exhaust airflow. Final revision will be done this week and more pics after. Finally adding a 2nd rad that is slim on the bottom stack. Noctua fans for push intake on the slim rad while the top stack will have same fans but push exhaust on thick z flow rad.

I feel that by doing this, the airflow would rise up better. And also with case mods, making a large cutout on the bottom panel for full intake air flow without restriction. Also modifying the two panels that mounts the fans and or radiator for less restriction.

Here are the pics to give better explanation.

What are you using to make the cuts? I wouldnt mind doing that to the rad holder but I know itll be a hackjob if i try