Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have been waiting for Ryzen 3 to release so I could do a new build in the Steck, just ordered a Gigabyte x570i Aorus Pro and a Ryzen 5 3600x. I was going to go full AMD with a 5700x but I have a G Sync monitor, found an EVGA GTX 1080 SC for a good deal, stay tuned.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have been waiting for Ryzen 3 to release so I could do a new build in the Steck, just ordered a Gigabyte x570i Aorus Pro and a Ryzen 5 3600x. I was going to go full AMD with a 5700x but I have a G Sync monitor, found an EVGA GTX 1080 SC for a good deal, stay tuned.
I just got another Asus Strix B450-I, seems current graphics resolutions don't bottleneck at PCIE3.0 16x bandwidth, and PCIE4.0 is really useful only for high speed SSD. Another reason is that I can't afford the X570 ? I also got 2x8 GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz.

Actually planning to test the new Ryzen 3 first on my prototype Qube PC Case, hopefully can get it ready for launch this year ?

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
So I moved the radiator to the top with noctua fans pushing exhaust. Swapped out thin rad for thick x flow rad and have been streaming for hours.

My 2700x near all cores 4.2 with temps 50-65°c and my GPU maxed at 54c during stream. But most of the time my CPU temps were around 50c and 47-50c. While my coolant temps were less than 38. But oddly it rises about 5°c when I put the top cover. I might have to do some slight mod to the top vent cover for better exhaust ventilation.

Other than that, a single 240mm radiator is efficient for 2700x and zotac rtx 2060 amp mini. I mainly stream and game apex legends and get great thermal results.

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
Received and built my Steck. Love it so far.

Two questions:
-I think i saw it somewhere but I cannot find, looking for guidance on lining up the top grill flush. I have it close, but wanted some official word.
-Are there plans for medium or small tophats too?

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
i was wondering if there's anyone out there cooling any ryzen 3000 chip , if there are, mind throwing in some thermal benchmarks/ cooler you're using in the Nouvolo Steck?

thanks in advance !

Reactions: Mistercloudz

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
i was wondering if there's anyone out there cooling any ryzen 3000 chip , if there are, mind throwing in some thermal benchmarks/ cooler you're using in the Nouvolo Steck?

thanks in advance !
I plan to use kryonaut once I get 3700x. But I am also waiting for benchmarks.

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Here is my build! I don't think I will add another radiator as I am satisfied with the thermals I get.
Build is still the same. I will add 2 Intake noctua fans on the bottom stack later this week.

While streaming:

I get about 55-65°c with 4.15-4.25 GHz auto oc and 43-50°c with my 2060 amp from zotac. Water coolant temps around 30-37°c while no top lid and no glass. But that will change as I said before once I add two intake fans on bottom with another stack.

Huge shout-out and big thanks to nouvolo for making this happen! Great price for the case and I am very satisfied with the build. If any future add one:
•I recommend a medium size stack to fit 120mm fans.

•Another revision I would say is to make a cutout for a single 120mm fan below Psu if not using stack unit on bottom.

•larger cutout for the top lid so air can have a clean exhaust without small restrictions.

•larger cutout on bottom vents for better intake airflow (wether using bottom stack or no stack).

And yes, my OCD is off when I see those rotary fittings on the cpu block. There wasn't a white version from Amazon as I needed them asap same day delivery just so I can stream on Sunday morning. Every weekend I stream and game on single PC (this PC) and I haven't played in 2 weeks. So I was desperate to make the build happen asap. I will swap them out for white colored rotary 90° fittings. New changes will happen all at once when I figure out how to make the final upgrade on my CPU to 3700x, 2060 amp to super version if it performs better. And with that, I will add a 2nd slim rad on bottom intake with 2 noctua fans.

Using amplifier feet in bottom to give it that clean look .

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Here is my build! I don't think I will add another radiator as I am satisfied with the thermals I get.
Build is still the same. I will add 2 Intake noctua fans on the bottom stack later this week.

While streaming:

I get about 55-65°c with 4.15-4.25 GHz auto oc and 43-50°c with my 2060 amp from zotac. Water coolant temps around 30-37°c while no top lid and no glass. But that will change as I said before once I add two intake fans on bottom with another stack.

Huge shout-out and big thanks to nouvolo for making this happen! Great price for the case and I am very satisfied with the build. If any future add one:

•Another revision I would say is to make a cutout for a single 120mm fan below Psu if not using stack unit on bottom.

•larger cutout for the top lid so air can have a clean exhaust without small restrictions.

•larger cutout on bottom vents for better intake airflow (wether using bottom stack or no stack).

And yes, my OCD is off when I see those rotary fittings on the cpu block. There wasn't a white version from Amazon as I needed them asap same day delivery just so I can stream on Sunday morning. Every weekend I stream and game on single PC (this PC) and I haven't played in 2 weeks. So I was desperate to make the build happen asap. I will swap them out for white colored rotary 90° fittings. New changes will happen all at once when I figure out how to make the final upgrade on my CPU to 3700x, 2060 amp to super version if it performs better. And with that, I will add a 2nd slim rad on bottom intake with 2 noctua fans.

Can only commend you for the effort! ?
Yes I have noted some improvements that can be made especially for custom loop builds. Something is in development but don't hold your breath on a new version so soon, much work is needed still. ?

kiroshi

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 25, 2019
where did you get those custom psu cables?

While streaming:

where did you get those psu cables? looks great, makes me wish i got it in white

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Can only commend you for the effort! ?
Yes I have noted some improvements that can be made especially for custom loop builds. Something is in development but don't hold your breath on a new version so soon, much work is needed still. ?
It's fine. Thanks for the consideration for future updates.
where did you get those custom psu cables?

where did you get those psu cables? looks great, makes me wish i got it in white

I got my cables from cablemod. simply because I got a 20% off coupon promo code that came with my Asus motherboard. And on top of that I made a custom request to them for this particular build.

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
What kind of extra power requirements are the water cooling placing on the system, not to mention with the overlock on both GFX and CPU? Seems the 600 Watt's may be a little under powered considering some of the GFX card minimum requirements.

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
What kind of extra power requirements are the water cooling placing on the system, not to mention with the overlock on both GFX and CPU? Seems the 600 Watt's may be a little under powered considering some of the GFX card minimum requirements.
600w is well enough for the 2 components. And if anything the 2700x will be replaced by 3700x.

Reactions: Longbow072

H1llo

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 10, 2019
Just finished migrating into base steck unit from node 202. Gotta say that i really like the overall design of the case! Almost all of the screws are identical, which simplifies the build process.

Ryzen 5 2600 paired with Big shuriken 2 & Noctua nf-a12x15 combo ( popular on node 202, even though i had to make diy mounting for am4 socket )
Sapphire rx 580 Pulse
Gigabyte Aorus pro wifi b450
Integra sfx 450w bronze ( PSU, that comes with node 202)

With brief tests, I can confirm that both the temps and noise levels are an improvement over node 202, which suffered from bad air circulation. Ryzen idles around 44C and after 10 minutes of prime95 75C. I could try to squeeze in thicker nf-a12x25 fan but I think that's just asking for trouble due to cpu height limit ? I was thinking of installing that a12x25 on bottom, but decided against it due to psu cables interfering with fan blades. Additionally I have no idea whether I should orient the bottom fan as exhaust or intake.

Next possible revision of the case could add mounting holes for 120mm fan on the bottom ? Overall 5/5 satisfied

Reactions: Nouvolo

VladG

Chassis Packer
May 3, 2019
Just finished my Steck build! AMD's 3700X with a Zotac RTX 2080.

Overall really happy with how tiny this is, putting it all together was a hassle and a half, but this is my first ITX build, so I'm figuring these tight spaces are the same on all. One note though: the Gigabyte X570 board I'm using doesn't quite fit with the NH-L12S. The VRM heatsink is just barely pushing one side of the heatsink out by maybe half a millimeter. Still enough to keep the side panel shut, but it's not perfectly flat.

VeeTeeF

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
I was going to pre-order the Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan since it's on sale right now for $450 + 2 games, but didn't know if it fit the Steck (it looks like a 2.5 slot card). I guess it does since it has the exact same dimensions of your card. Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: VladG

VeeTeeF

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
One note though: the Gigabyte X570 board I'm using doesn't quite fit with the NH-L12S. The VRM heatsink is just barely pushing one side of the heatsink out by maybe half a millimeter. Still enough to keep the side panel shut, but it's not perfectly flat.
I have the exact same board and CPU cooler, but with a 3600 (yes I know overkill). In test fitting, the VRM heatsink didn't touch my L12S at all. I have it rotated 90° though.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer and VladG

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019

Overall really happy with how tiny this is, putting it all together was a hassle and a half, but this is my first ITX build, so I'm figuring these tight spaces are the same on all. One note though: the Gigabyte X570 board I'm using doesn't quite fit with the NH-L12S. The VRM heatsink is just barely pushing one side of the heatsink out by maybe half a millimeter. Still enough to keep the side panel shut, but it's not perfectly flat.
This is perfect build imo, what are your temps under load/ gaming? did you undervolt at all , or left it at stock? if so, what does 3700x boost up to? The new XFR is all about thermals apperently

Reactions: VladG

VladG

Chassis Packer
May 3, 2019
I was going to pre-order the Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan since it's on sale right now for $450 + 2 games, but didn't know if it fit the Steck (it looks like a 2.5 slot card). I guess it does since it has the exact same dimensions of your card. Thanks for the pics!

Quite sure it is the same dimensions yeah, fits very easily, can recommend.

I have the exact same board and CPU cooler, but with a 3600 (yes I know overkill). In test fitting, the VRM heatsink didn't touch my L12S at all. I have it rotated 90° though.

Oh perfect, silly me. I'll have to rotate mine then, thanks for the tip.

This is perfect build imo, what are your temps under load/ gaming? did you undervolt at all , or left it at stock? if so, what does 3700x boost up to? The new XFR is all about thermals apperently

I just spent a few hours testing different undervolts and overclocks. Settled with leaving all on auto with PBO on. Undervolting with PBO on directly leads to lower CPU performance. My chip tops out at around 4.3GHz, which I'm happy with. Temperatures peaking in the mid-80s, idling around 50-60C.

Reactions: VeeTeeF and GerryMz

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
Quite sure it is the same dimensions yeah, fits very easily, can recommend.

Oh perfect, silly me. I'll have to rotate mine then, thanks for the tip.

I just spent a few hours testing different undervolts and overclocks. Settled with leaving all on auto with PBO on. Undervolting with PBO on directly leads to lower CPU performance. My chip tops out at around 4.3GHz, which I'm happy with. Temperatures peaking in the mid-80s, idling around 50-60C.
nice ! what sorta tests did you use?