Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
CPU-Z bench, Forza Horizon 4, FFXV benchmark, SteamVR benchmark. Basically grabbed whatever I had on hand that had benchmark tools.
thanks for your info man, helps a lot on what to decide! i think i may go with the Ryzen 5 3600 since it'll be a lot cooler for mainly gaming, my radeon vii is already hot enough haha

Reactions: Nouvolo and VladG

VladG

Chassis Packer
May 3, 2019
I have the exact same board and CPU cooler, but with a 3600 (yes I know overkill). In test fitting, the VRM heatsink didn't touch my L12S at all. I have it rotated 90° though.

Update on this: reseated my heatsink in that orientation. It's important! Immediately saw a fair thermal difference, as resting against the I/O likely lifted it up from the CPU a little as well.

VeeTeeF

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
Update on this: reseated my heatsink in that orientation. It's important! Immediately saw a fair thermal difference, as resting against the I/O likely lifted it up from the CPU a little as well.
I thought your temps seemed high for a 65w CPU, haha. What temps do you get now?

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Don't know how Precision Boost behaves in the new Ryzen, but when I did some testing during development of Steck, I found that Ryzens had higher idle temps. Seem PBO seem to ramp up the Ryzens at all times. Maybe some expert can shed some light on this. Intels seem to give lower temps overall for me anyways.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
PBO was only on the X processors for 1xxx and 2xxx ryzen, and would typically only eek out another 100-200 mhz. Also, if you set a manual all-core clock or offset, it would disable PBO (there may have been a way around this, but I didn't find it on my mobo at least).

Idle temps seemed pretty dependent on sku, core voltage and C/P-state in my experience. For example, my i-7 3950x at idle is lower than on my 4790k at the same voltage at c-state, but my max temp is quite a bit higher (6-core vs 4). I haven't seen enough data to claim that Zen routinely idles warmer than Core, but I could believe it as the I/O die/interposer likely causes a higher minimum power draw even downclocked.

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
1) could be another update to fix temps
2) try better cooling options
3) undervolt

My 2700x hits 4.3 sometimes when I offset -0.06v using pbo

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
Just finished my Steck build! AMD's 3700X with a Zotac RTX 2080.

Overall really happy with how tiny this is, putting it all together was a hassle and a half, but this is my first ITX build, so I'm figuring these tight spaces are the same on all. One note though: the Gigabyte X570 board I'm using doesn't quite fit with the NH-L12S. The VRM heatsink is just barely pushing one side of the heatsink out by maybe half a millimeter. Still enough to keep the side panel shut, but it's not perfectly flat.
Nice build what are your temps under load?

VladG

Chassis Packer
May 3, 2019
One last thing about thermals with this case and a 3700X: there are benches and games I can run long enough that the CPU will get up to 90C. With the same games and the side panels off, it peaks at around 65C, which is crazy. The NH-L12S in the sideways orientation also doesn't line up with the vents entirely, as it sits lower than center.

Just saying, if the Steck got mesh side panels or something with higher air flow, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. ?

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
So I'm running easy +200 mhz and +400 mhz memory overlock on the 2080 black edition with full fans and running a consistent 55 degree's and 140-180 FPS on Unigine Heaven Benchmark on a 2080 Black Edition. I think I found a pretty solid chip.

Reactions: rfarmer

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
One last thing about thermals with this case and a 3700X: there are benches and games I can run long enough that the CPU will get up to 90C. With the same games and the side panels off, it peaks at around 65C, which is crazy. The NH-L12S in the sideways orientation also doesn't line up with the vents entirely, as it sits lower than center.

Just saying, if the Steck got mesh side panels or something with higher air flow, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. ?

Are you using glass or perforated side panels?

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Glad to see my rig pic earned a place... still considering swapping to a 3700X w/ new motherboard once the drivers get figured out.

VladG

Chassis Packer
May 3, 2019
Are you using glass or perforated side panels?
The standard perforated ones.

Glad to see my rig pic earned a place... still considering swapping to a 3700X w/ new motherboard once the drivers get figured out.
As far as I'm concerned, they all work as advertised already. People are just confused because the CPU operates a little backwards compared to others (high idle voltages by design, decreases with load etc).

Reactions: Longbow072

Fiction

Chassis Packer
Jun 6, 2019
anyone know whats the dimensions for the power button, I'm thinking of ordering the vandal switch that josh from NFC sells on his store front. not a big fan of the stock power button. feel it couldve been better since we don't have front i/o and is the only thing we interact with.