Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
This is going to be a problem at the edge for this card. I didn't know this and had gotten the card first. The height is ok for the body and it doesn't touch the sides for sure, however there is a L with a screw hole that's part of the back panel that contacts the far end of the video card from the pcie connector. This prevents the card from seating properly when the back panel is fixed. I had to shave off a patch about 1cm h x 0.8cm l by 0.4cm w from the plastic cover to fit the card. Another user on the earlier pages also mentioned this issue. They used a Dremel. But it's a small portion and if you plan to keep the card then it's not a big deal.

Can you provide a photo of how you made the cut? I have all the parts, just not sure how to approach the solution.

CodingBuritto

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2019
And for those wondering, the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is fine. Fits with space to spare and I didn't notice any turbulence.
Sweet! I've been waiting for someone to test out the shuriken 3 before buying it. I'm surprised that you didn't run into any turbulence. My wraith spire's turbulence sounds so awful, but I guess a larger fan helps :)

Last edited:

CodingBuritto

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2019
EDIT: By the way, does anyone have their top panel lying completely flat? Mine doesn't because of the screws that connect the body to the front/back panels making one half of the top panel taller than the other.
Also, I got my top panel lying flat by bending the shorter side with very little force so that it matches with the taller side

Last edited:

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Busy with handling orders now. But when I have the time I will work on double stack (top/bottom) with custom loop. Think this will fit in one of the stack units. Will probably use angled adapters rather doing all the bends by hand. IceMan Cooler - Pump / Reservoir combo

where can i buy this? I have just enough room to fit this right next to my gpu since it is short. I plan to loop my 2070 and 2700x with 1x240mm slim rad. I have a bit of almost 95mm of space from end of gpu to the front of the case.

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018

Ignore the previous post. In this picture, is it possible to increase the height of this area without damaging the whole spine? I plan to increase the height of this cut out so I can fit the phanteks glacier r160 with the DDC pump that will fit in this area. The r160 Will stand tall next to the GPU. but the cutout area will be to ensure they will be room for the DDC pump that sticks out of that reservoir.

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019

Here are photos of my build.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone have their top panel lying completely flat? Mine doesn't because of the screws that connect the body to the front/back panels making one half of the top panel taller than the other.

Great work! I'm tempted to use the Shuriken 3 (instead of the Noctua L12s) because it looks like it'll fit TridentZ ram. Hows the noise of the CPU fan?

roscoejp

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2019
@Nouvolo is there anything that would prevent mounting the stacker on the bottom and putting an AIO in there?

If possible I'd want to have ventilated panel on GPU side and TG on the Mobo side. With the AIO pulling air out of the case should get some good airflow over the GPU.

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Nouvolo is there anything that would prevent mounting the stacker on the bottom and putting an AIO in there?

If possible I'd want to have ventilated panel on GPU side and TG on the Mobo side. With the AIO pulling air out of the case should get some good airflow over the GPU.
You can install the stacker either top or bottom, it's compatible either end.
You can also use whatever combination you like (e.g. 1 side vented, 1 side tg) for the side panels

bernieyee

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Ended up returning the Asus Z390-I Strix for the Gigabyte Z390-I Aorus Pro WiFi instead. Fits perfectly with the Big Shuriken 3 now.

By the way, does anyone have a solution for rear M.2-2280 SSD cooling? My MX500 is hitting 80 degrees during gaming. Thinking of getting a heatsink, but worried it could damage the PCIe riser cable.

Reactions: snailonni

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I strongly suspect that simply adding a heatsink for the M.2 SSD would not bring any tangible benefit. The high temp is caused by trapped hot air around the SSD, most likely coming from the top and bottom of the internal exhausting display card sitting parallel to it.
So, the main remedy is to either to find a way to extract the hot air or to find a way to supply cool ambient air or both to create an airflow over that area.
That PCIe riser cable essentially 'cover' the SSD, in the vertical sense. So, this is going to be difficult.
I imagine Steck is such a new case that not many owners have enough time to come to various solutions.

I do not have a Steck and can only theorize with pics. Assuming you have a standard Steck without hat, one potential solution is to add small (40mm, 50mm or 60mm?) fans to the 2 positions shown by the green squares to extract air upward. It looks like there is a clearance of, at least, 10-15mm there?

Edit: There is a simple check to see if this approach works or not. If you have a spare fan (say, almost everyone has a spare 120mm fan lying around), put it on top of the case as an extract fan in that area and see if the SSD temp would drop or not. If this yields good result, then the next step is to transfer this concept into the case by using 1/2 smaller fans.

Last edited:

bernieyee

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
@tinyitx

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I think you're right. The rear M.2 SSD is way too close to the GPU and is likely being suffocated by the hot air. I think I'm going to have to get used to these temperatures as I do not want to use a top hat. I know the MX500 runs hot normally, so maybe I can swap it out with something else or give up the rear and use only the front M.2 socket.

Dan users seem to be a bit luckier in this matter. They don't have a cut out for the rear M.2 socket, so some users use thermal pad to use the backbone structure as a giant heatsink.

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
W
Ended up returning the Asus Z390-I Strix for the Gigabyte Z390-I Aorus Pro WiFi instead. Fits perfectly with the Big Shuriken 3 now.

By the way, does anyone have a solution for rear M.2-2280 SSD cooling? My MX500 is hitting 80 degrees during gaming. Thinking of getting a heatsink, but worried it could damage the PCIe riser cable.

What was the issue with the Asus z390? I just purchased a Asus z370i... curious.

bernieyee

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
W

What was the issue with the Asus z390? I just purchased a Asus z370i... curious.

The I/O and VRM heatsink is massive. Blocks part of my Big Shuriken 3.

Loved it though. It automatically ran my i7-8700 with less voltage (1.03v at load). I was wondering why my CPU kept running so high after I swapped my board to the Aorus Z390i. My CPU currently peaks up to the low 90s at 1.2v. But when I manually adjust voltage to 1.1v, P95 workers fail.

Oh well.

Reactions: phandango

CodingBuritto

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2019
Just installed a big shuriken in my steck and turbulence is noticeable at higher rpms but it's not as bad as smaller fans. I might flip the fans the other way around to see if temps get worse

Reactions: phandango