Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
This is making me look forward to a HardwareCanucks review on the case! I'm sure Dmitry would love it.
They seem to be interested and want to have more to talk about in the SFF space. Met Kyle from bitwit also, but didn't have the time to speak to him in length.

Don't want to interrupt them with their coverage, probably for their sponsors as well. A bit awkard for me to gatecrash whilst they are working with their sponsors and at their booth... Afterall those people paid a lot for their marketing whereas I got in for free... ?. I wouldn't want others handing out pamphlets at my storefront LoL

Reactions: VeeTeeF and rfarmer

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
For anyone who's interested about CPU cooler comparisons, I bought both the Noctua NH-L12s and the Big Shuriken 3 to test. I can only speak in terms of noise and fit. This was installed on an Asus Z370i/8700k.
  • BS3 is significantly easier to install and fiddle with. I was still able to remove ram and adjust cable connections to the mobo without removing.
  • BS3 is more mindful of fit with cutouts for the mobo heatsinks and the ram. I was using Trident Z RGB with no problem
  • BS3 is noticeably louder when the fan run. Turbulence is real.
  • Noctua L12s is a bit of a pain to install. There's not much room to work with once the cooler is on.
  • L12s requires low profile ram, so I used Ballistix. The clearance is tight (1-2mm)
Ultimately, I plan to keep the L12s because its quieter.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
For anyone who's interested about CPU cooler comparisons, I bought both the Noctua NH-L12s and the Big Shuriken 3 to test. I can only speak in terms of noise and fit. This was installed on an Asus Z370i/8700k.
  • BS3 is significantly easier to install and fiddle with. I was still able to remove ram and adjust cable connections to the mobo without removing.
  • BS3 is more mindful of fit with cutouts for the mobo heatsinks and the ram. I was using Trident Z RGB with no problem
  • BS3 is noticeably louder when the fan run. Turbulence is real.
  • Noctua L12s is a bit of a pain to install. There's not much room to work with once the cooler is on.
  • L12s requires low profile ram, so I used Ballistix. The clearance is tight (1-2mm)
Ultimately, I plan to keep the L12s because its quieter.

I'd be curious how a BS3 performs with the 12mm ultra slim 120mm that the BS2 comes with. With the anti-vibration pads the Kaze fan that comes with the BS3 is closer to 17mm.

ZerodB

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2019
What if you run the BS3 with a Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM?

When I get this case(ordered), a Ryzen 3000 and a Navi GPU(if >Nvidia)
Want to undervolt/underclock

I hope to run an Alphacool Eisbaer LT240 CPU with 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.
Alphacool has a 7v switch for the pump.
For GPU Probably Alphacool Eiswolf 240 GPX Pro with again 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.
Might need to wait for that if it will be a Navi

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
I'd be curious how a BS3 performs with the 12mm ultra slim 120mm that the BS2 comes with. With the anti-vibration pads the Kaze fan that comes with the BS3 is closer to 17mm.
Sounds like a lot of loose parts to collect. I was tempted to install a Noctua 12x15 to replace the stock BS3 fan, but the additional cost did not seem appealing.

ZerodB

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2019
The Noctua L12s has a NF-A12x15 . So You could try it on the BS3. (If you need return items that might be no option)

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
The Noctua L12s has a NF-A12x15 . So You could try it on the BS3. (If you need return items that might be no option)

I actually had an extra, but it's a pain in the but to disassemble/reassemble, especially because this is my work machine. I just wanted to put up stock comparison (mainly about sound). The BS3 was pretty annoying.

Atlas787

Trash Compacter
Jan 31, 2019
I had some problems with the case relating to some manufacturing issues (wrong threads in the screwholes, pieces cut with the wrong measures) but Nouvolo (aka Bosco) helped me check all the possible points that could have gone wrong while building the case (causing it to not fit, etc) and after finding that everything was correct, he sent me all the pieces I needed to change without any charges, in 3 days (I live in Spain) and he also tested them personally to know that they would not cause any more problems to me.

I felt that I needed to thank the attention and help received, just to show any potential buyers that this case is awesome, from the materials to the attention to customers.

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
Wanted to get some thoughts on the placement of my Noctua L12s...

I currently have it so the pipes are at the bottom.

I saw a few setups where the the pipes were in the rear

Is there a right/wrong way to position it?

Thanks!

Reactions: CodingBuritto

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I see 2 differences between these 2 orientations (in addition to aesthetics, which is quite subjective, of course):-
a. with the tips of the heat pipes pointing upward, the liquid return is assisted by gravity. Pointing horizontally does not get this benefit but also does not suffer like pointing downward does.

b. when air passes through and exits the fins, its direction goes in the same as that of the fins. So, in the top pic, air goes horizontally (ie east-west direction) while the air (in the lower pic) goes up and down (north-south direction).
If air is being sucked into the case, then this consideration could be meaningful. However, if air exhausts out of the case side panel, perhaps this is not as relevant.