Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I am thinking about getting a Steck to anodize or cerakote silver. Is there a particular color that would be the best option for this? Also, is the power button removable?

The case is not made for anodization. Please do NOT put that in the bath of chemicals.
You can go for powder coating.
The power button can be removed, it comes with a small pcb attached to the front panel by standard philips screws.

CodingBuritto

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2019
Just got my Steck today and it was a blast to build! Proud to say it's my first SFF case :) I'm currently using an AM4 wraith spire and the turbulence is fairly obvious, so no side panel on the cpu side for now, so I'm wondering if a 65mm cpu cooler is far enough from the side panels to not cause turbulence.

Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just got my Steck today and it was a blast to build! Proud to say it's my first SFF case :) I'm currently using an AM4 wraith spire and the turbulence is fairly obvious, so no side panel on the cpu side for now, so I'm wondering if a 65mm cpu cooler is far enough from the side panels to not cause turbulence.
Noctua NH-L12S is our official recommendation. The fan is underneath the heatsink, so it is further away from the side panel and the heatsink in between muffles the noise a bit more.
Furthermore, since you are using ryzen, assuming you have precision boost turned on. It is like trying to overclock whenever possible automatically. I would recommend adjust your fan curve, raising the baseline rpm to avoid sudden ramp up of the fans.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
The case is not made for anodization. Please do NOT put that in the bath of chemicals.
You can go for powder coating.
The power button can be removed, it comes with a small pcb attached to the front panel by standard philips screws.
Thank you!

Is the existing coloration done via powder coat?

Is ceramic coating (cerakote) also a viable option or best to stick with traditional powder coating?

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Thank you!

Is the existing coloration done via powder coat?

Is ceramic coating (cerakote) also a viable option or best to stick with traditional powder coating?

I think you need to remove the existing coating/paint before you can apply a different layer/color.
But the thickness of the paint/coating is very important, it can affect the parts fitting back together.

We wouldn't suggest it if you haven't done it before, or you may want to send it to a professional paint shop to do it.

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
Hi my case should be here Thursday! I cannot wait! I have to replace my current GPU RX Vega 56 Red Dragon I believe the measurements are a little over the GPU reqs on the case however I noticed someone had got one in the Ghost S1 would this be possible with the steck?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hi my case should be here Thursday! I cannot wait! I have to replace my current GPU RX Vega 56 Red Dragon I believe the measurements are a little over the GPU reqs on the case however I noticed someone had got one in the Ghost S1 would this be possible with the steck?

I'd be curious to know if it fits. I measure 309mm between the internal surfaces of the front and back panels, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can squeeze it in. I have a short GPU in mine and my only GPU over 305mm is more than 2-slots thick so I didn't try it.

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
I'd be curious to know if it fits. I measure 309mm between the internal surfaces of the front and back panels, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can squeeze it in. I have a short GPU in mine and my only GPU over 305mm is more than 2-slots thick so I didn't try it.
I was originally just going to try and swap it with a smaller card but before i spend money I'd like to try it but the last thing I want to be doing is build my PC and then realise it doesn't fit but I may try it at some point.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I was originally just going to try and swap it with a smaller card but before i spend money I'd like to try it but the last thing I want to be doing is build my PC and then realise it doesn't fit but I may try it at some point.
If you want to fit the card to the limit, you can try taking off the horizontal brackets in the front panel (installing back in later). That will give you more space to slide in the card.

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
For anyone curious about delivery times...
  • I ordered my white Steck case on Sunday May 19 and was patiently awaiting a shipping confirmation to Los Angeles
  • Received a shipping confirmation on Wednesday (today) at 3:15pm
  • Packaged arrived on my doorstep at 3:30pm.... crazy!
So it basically 3 business days to get my case.

I ordered both the Steck and the Ghost at the same time... gotta say you guys are doing a MUCH better job Nouvolo!

Ukee

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 22, 2019
Got my Frost White Steck yesterday and really am satisfied with the quality of the case and the packaging.
Unfortunately my GPU doesn't fit the case (MSI 1080Ti Duke, 320mm in length). If the case was 5mm longer then it would've fit (though it still would be a tight fit). Now I'm just looking to either sell/swap my GPU for something that'll fit.
I'm also using the Scythe Shuriken 3 and it sits really close to the side panels, don't really have any issues with it right now though.
There was some minor defect on some of the panels but not really noticeable from afar.

In terms of delivery time:
  1. May 09, 2019 - Ordered
  2. May 17, 2019 - Fulfilled
  3. May 23, 2019 - Received
I would've received it earlier but we had a holiday here in my country and they won't deliver during weekends, wasn't really a big deal though since it was worth the wait.

Will post pictures once I find a proper GPU that fits the case.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
I think you need to remove the existing coating/paint before you can apply a different layer/color.
But the thickness of the paint/coating is very important, it can affect the parts fitting back together.

We wouldn't suggest it if you haven't done it before, or you may want to send it to a professional paint shop to do it.
Yep I am planning on working with a professional to do it. Thank you for the tips!

bernieyee

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019

Got my Nouvolo today and it's been a good experience so far.
  1. The case came well packaged with plenty of protection
  2. There were some very minor imperfections on a few panels
  3. The installation videos were easy to follow along with, but an included manual would be nice.
I will most likely take apart the entire case again tomorrow for better fitment. I am having issues with the top panel lying flat because the middle compartment is pushing up on the ledge where the top panel rests.

-----

Intel i7-8700
Scythe Big Shuriken 3
ASUS Z390i Strix
EVGA RTX 2060 XC Gaming
Corsair SF450 80+ Gold

I ran ASUS Real Bench for 15 minutes and got the following temps.

CPU - 85 degrees
GPU - 75 degrees

I played a bit of Apex in training mode and got the following temps.

CPU - 65 degrees
GPU - 75 degrees

There are some tweaking that I can do for better temps in regards to undervolting and fan curve, but it's been great so far considering I have no exhaust or intake fans in my case. I will probably do a repaste of my CPU cooler when I put in a second M.2 drive.

I currently have a Crucial MX500 M.2 mounted at the back of the motherboard. It ran hella hot in Real Bench maxing out at around 83 degrees. I know it ran up to 60-70 degrees even in my desktop, so I might need to get some sort of heatsink or swap it out for a cooler running drive. I'll be keeping an eye on the temps.

I ordered a SF750 80+ Platinum, but I think I'll just return that and keep the SF450 80+ Gold. It's barely audible at load. My system peaks at around 250W or less and according to Corsair documents, the fan curve has it at 15 decibels. That's far quieter than my GPU and CPU.

And for those wondering, the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is fine. Fits with space to spare and I didn't notice any turbulence. But like I said before, you might not want to use it if you're rocking an ASUS Z390i Strix due to the large VRM heatsink. I might actually exchange it for the Z370i model, although I haven't noticed any VRM throttling from the cooler heatsink being in almost touching proximity with the VRM heatsink.

-----

Changes I would like to see implemented:
  1. More of a personal opinion, but I think the power LED is a bit too bright (I like that it's white though)
  2. The power cable could be a few inches shorter for the perfect length
  3. Thinner shielding for the solder points near the female connector of the internal power cable (mine came loose and won't stay because there is not enough clearance around it)
  4. I think a screwed on top panel would add much more reinforcement and stability to the case
-----

Overall, a pretty good case and I'm quite satisfied.

Last edited:

bernieyee

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Ok, just spent an hour re-assembling it. It's much better now.

The middle compartments no longer push up on the top panel ledges, so now the top panel lies mostly flat.

I used the space behind the PSU for cable management.

Will upload pics later, but I am a very happy customer. ?

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
Yep I am planning on working with a professional to do it. Thank you for the tips!
Have you considered a Plastidip? It's less permanent, but also less to go wrong. you could easily cover all of the outer faces and still get a decent look.
It's a popular option for motorbikes etc (My other hobby)

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
  1. More of a personal opinion, but I think the power LED is a bit too bright (I like that it's white though)
  3. Thinner shielding for the solder points near the female connector of the internal power cable (mine came loose and won't stay because there is not enough clearance around it)
  4. I think a screwed on top panel would add much more reinforcement and stability to the case
100% agree with you on the power LED. Far too bright, but white LED was definitely the best option. I may just colour in the bit that you see with a black pen to see if it dims it enough.
If that doesn't work, I just wont connect it.

Maybe look at how difficult it would be to shorten the Power cable a bit and use heat shrink to remove that shielding. I have the same problem that once everything is together it doesn't fit over again.

Ukee

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 22, 2019
And for those wondering, the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is fine. Fits with space to spare and I didn't notice any turbulence. But like I said before, you might not want to use it if you're rocking an ASUS Z390i Strix due to the large VRM heatsink. I might actually exchange it for the Z370i model, although I haven't noticed any VRM throttling from the cooler heatsink being in almost touching proximity with the VRM heatsink.

-----

-----

Overall, a pretty good case and I'm quite satisfied.
Huh weird, I have the Shuriken 3 too but it sits rather close to the side panels once everything is put together, maybe its just me or the angle of the picture you took makes it looks like you still have space in between.

And I agree with you on those points:
  1. LEDs were really bright, I could turn off the lights in my room and that tiny LED is the brightest thing in my room.
  2. Didn't really have troubles with the power cable but they can definitely be shorter
  3. I have this problem as well where the shielding won't even fit once I mount the riser cable and put everything together, the shielding is just too thick to fit in between the power cable and the middle panel; not enough clearance. I just kinda tuck it in as much as I could and left it as it is.
  4. Not much on the top panel though, I kinda like that I could just take it off anytime I want to without unscrewing anything. However, it would be great to have the option to screw them in though

Edit: What are the pads that came along with the magnets for?

Last edited:

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
Hi! I'm thinking about realizing a custom loop in the Steck case with two stacks. As I would like two use the glass side panels, I plan to go for a chimney effect with all four fans blowing up. While planning I figured two things important to know for such a build:
  1. How much clearence do you have for 90° angled fittings on the graphics card cooler with the glass panels installed? Most fittings have an installed height of about 30mm.
  2. The ventilation of the bottom panel (the one with the feet mounted on) looks pretty poor. This is critical, as for the described chimney effect all air would have to be sucked in here. Is it possible to omit the bottom panel and use the mounting frame of the lower stack unit as bottom instead? If not, maybe with minor customization?

namseng

Cable Smoosher
Apr 23, 2018
I have a matte black base and stack unit for sale if anyone is interested. Ordered this case thinking it would fit an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 but it has just a bit of fitment issues, so I'm selling. PM me for more info. The base unit is not in perfect condition, the stack unit is new, only unboxed to see contents. I have photos of all blems.