Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Working on this guys!

It would definitely be worth testing the sound profile with the difference shapes since some
configurations can be much more inclined to produce turbulence and worsen the sound profile.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
We need 2mm panels right to have it flush to the front and rear panel?
In my opinion are more like 1,5mm plus 1,5mm of washer!
But the problem is the rigidity. SO I suggest 2mm, maybe you can bend a bit the front and rear panel?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I'll post here as well the CAD file! So everyone can test it or adding more!

https://we.tl/t-7TFUa3SIqq

Nice! I made a few CAD files last night, but haven't simulated anything yet. I think I've figured out how to properly setup the boundary conditions for a proper airflow sim, but I need to define the proper flow rate vs pressure curves for some representative fans (probably the noctua 90mm on the L9i, since that's what I'm currently using, but if anyone has data on others they'd like me to try when I get there, I'm open to suggestions. Keep in mind though that these won't be 100% accurate at predicting temps or anything since I don't have the proper test equipment to validate the models with experiment, but I should be able to back out trends for hole size, shape and spacing relative to estimated airflow across the side plate.

Acoustic simulation is a whole other beast though, and I only know of a few software packages that do it decently; for about 50-80K a license haha. So I probably won't be going down that road, but I can probably make some educated guesses on noise based on percent turbulence once I get beyond beyond treating air as incomprehensible.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
But the problem is the rigidity. SO I suggest 2mm, maybe you can bend a bit the front and rear panel?

Bending stiffness can also be improved by upping the moments of inertia with something like a box fold on the top and bottom edges: something like this ascii representation: _] or ribs near the outer more edges. You might still get a corner to corner "twist" mode with those solutions compared to thicker panels, but you'd use significantly less material.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Bending stiffness can also be improved by upping the moments of inertia with something like a box fold on the top and bottom edges: something like this ascii representation: _] or ribs near the outer more edges. You might still get a corner to corner "twist" mode with those solutions compared to thicker panels, but you'd use significantly less material.
Of course! With Alu or Steel I can agree, but If I want to stay to Acrylic, I have to go ticker, suddenly! (But I don't mind, even if there is 1mm popping out from the sides!)

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Of course! With Alu or Steel I can agree, but If I want to stay to Acrylic, I have to go ticher, suddenly! (But I don't mind, even if there is 1mm popping out from the sides!)

Depending on how you are processing the acrylic, you could always cheat and bond some additional additional material on the outer edges. One idea which may end up being aesthetically pleasing is to cut out an external frame of 1mm thick acrylic around 2-3 mm wide, paint it black, then glue it around the outer edge. You'll need some clamps and some patience but this could increase your stiffness while still keeping the majority of the components visible.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
OK, before I go and change the panel. I will do a test with a bottom fan installed e.g. 120x15mm. I will try to do this in the weekend.
If you guys don't mind and you have a 15mm fan to spare, I would appreciate if you could also try this out also.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
OK, before I go and change the panel. I will do a test with a bottom fan installed e.g. 120x15mm. I will try to do this in the weekend.
If you guys don't mind and you have a 15mm fan to spare, I would appreciate if you could also try this out also.

Another thing I've been mulling over is a modular expansion like the current water cooling top-hat but half height for 25mm fan mounts without a radiator. I'm planning on testing that configuration without an expansion shroud, unless I can find a 3D printing service on the cheap to test it out with a surrogate.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Another thing I've been mulling over is a modular expansion like the current water cooling top-hat but half height for 25mm fan mounts without a radiator. I'm planning on testing that configuration without an expansion shroud, unless I can find a 3D printing service on the cheap to test it out with a surrogate.
Trying now with the top hat with a radiator and 25mm fan (no pump etc, still with the Noctua) and the existing panels.
And with the fan in exhaust, the temps are dropping/higher frequency!

The IntelBurnTest give me 10 similar results, while before because of the frenq drops/higher temp, it wasn’t!

So it’s clear that the big issue are the recirculating hot air.
The one on top the motherboard is hot, the one above the PSU is cold. So:

Adding a fan under the PSU doesn’t help

Adding the space UNDER THE MOTHERBOARD for a fan, will help for shure!

Increasing he height of other 15mm to add 2 slim fan is definitely worth it under air! (And maybe this can help to convince the not happy Louqe people that IS a different product).

BUT, maybe, a different pattern will exhaust more air?

I don’t know. We should try the L12 fun in exhaust. And in that case also a bottom fan pushing fresh air will be a good Idea.

But, under the MB, please!
If the case will grew up 3 cm in height and 2.2 cm on the MB side (to keep the existing ration of 1.3636) you DEFINITELY have a BINGO in this community!

More CPU cooler options (you can use the L12S with the fan on top! Of course with noise issues), 280mm /140mm radiator/fan support, good optimized airflow, and you can still add the top hat!
(But of course, the 140mm are less important than the Air Exhaust!)

I am saying this because it’s not yet a full production, and are very tiny changes at the end!

If you don’t want to change the hole pattern, make them tiny bigger (less space in between) and a bit more!

That’s it!

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Trying now with the top hat with a radiator and 25mm fan (no pump etc, still with the Noctua) and the existing panels.
And with the fan in exhaust, the temps are dropping/higher frequency! ...

@Testers, this is great news! Based on initial tests I am more inclined to change the bottom panel for 120x15mm chassis fan mount (and maybe to shift PSU 5-10mm higher) to achieve better ventilation. More info and decision by end of this week.

Reactions: Chinaman and fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Testers, this is great news! Based on initial tests I am more inclined to change the bottom panel for 120x15mm chassis fan mount (and maybe to shift PSU 5-10mm higher) to achieve better ventilation. More info and decision by end of this week.
Cool! But don’t forget to do it under the motherboard! :D
Take in consideration as well to increase the height for slim fan. The forced exhaust help way more than the bottom intake! ;)

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Cool! But don’t forget to do it under the motherboard! :D
Take in consideration as well to increase the height for slim fan. The forced exhaust help way more than the bottom intake! ;)
But what I can say is that I am very reluctant to change the dimension at this stage as this would mean all the tooling will have to be scrapped and redo everything. That's double the dev cost and TIME!

My plan for ver. 2 is 2nd half of next year, which will allow for change in dimensions.
Whereas ver. 1 will sell thru 2019 1st 9-10 months.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
But what I can say is that I am very reluctant to change the dimension at this stage as this would mean all the tooling will have to be scrapped and redo everything. That's double the dev cost and TIME!

My plan for ver. 2 is 2nd half of next year, which will allow for change in dimensions.
That's perfect man!
Keep us updated on the expected changes for V1!. I'll try more cooling options in the next weeks!

Ah, one more siggestion for the V1: try do have the top radiator mount panel with bigger opening and the bottom as well with a bit more opening!

PS: please, don't forget the SKP file, even if is not precise! Love the potential of this case!

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018

No need to make major revisions at this time. It's better to get more feedbacks so that the next one will truly be a great revision

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Agreed. This is already solid start to an excellent product line. Line upon line, little by little as they say.

By the way, I will be publishing the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum performance results later today. The bottom line is there is an approximate 10-15 degree temperature improvement with this AiO.

Quick question: if I purchase on CableMod, what lengths of custom cables should I order for this case? I have an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING. I have never purchased custom cables before. Besides the motherboard power connectors, I will need (2) eight pin power connectors for my video card, (1) SATA power connector for an SSD on the lower 2.5” drive mount, and (1) SATA power connector for the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum AiO. At least some tips in ensuring the proper lengths would be helpful. Thanks!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Agreed. This is already solid start to an excellent product line. Line upon line, little by little as they say.

By the way, I will be publishing the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum performance results later today. The bottom line is there is an approximate 10-15 degree temperature improvement with this AiO.

Quick question: if I purchase on CableMod, what lengths of custom cables should I order for this case? I have an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING. I have never purchased custom cables before. Besides the motherboard power connectors, I will need (2) eight pin power connectors for my video card, (1) SATA power connector for an SSD on the lower 2.5” drive mount, and (1) SATA power connector for the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum AiO. At least some tips in ensuring the proper lengths would be helpful. Thanks!
Or you can order this, should be ok!

The problem with CableMod is that you cannot go under certain length! But should be ok!

https://www.pslatecustoms.com/collections/louqe-ghost-s1-cables

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Or you can order this, should be ok!

The problem with CableMod is that you cannot go under certain length! But should be ok!

https://www.pslatecustoms.com/collections/louqe-ghost-s1-cables
I contacted the maker and he said he won’t build cables for my power supply (Enermax Revolution SFX) even though the connector layout on back is quite similar to other SFX power supplies. Does anyone know the recommended lengths for custom cables in the Steck and Ghost S1?

Last edited: