Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Chinaman

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2018
Reactions: Hifihedgehog

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I contacted the maker and he said he won’t build cables for my power supply (Enermax Revolution SFX) even though the connector layout on back is quite similar to other SFX power supplies. Does anyone know the recommended lengths for custom cables in the Steck and Ghost S1?
What is preventing you from actually measuring insitu?
I mean, you have the case and you have all the components. So, simply just install them into the case and then use some strings/ropes/wires to simulate the connections from the PSU to each component via your chosen best routing. Then, you can have the exact lengths needed.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
What is preventing you from actually measuring insitu?
I mean, you have the case and you have all the components. So, simply just install them into the case and then use some strings/ropes/wires to simulate the connections from the PSU to each component via your chosen best routing. Then, you can have the exact lengths needed.
Thanks for the reply. I would not count myself as an expert or well-versed in custom cables. This is my first foray into it actually and I don't want to mis-measure by an amateurish mistake. I have noticed that most power supplies and cases have lengths listed online while the Enermax is quite sparse on details. I definitely do not have the time to make my own cables with the deadlines and obligations I have. I could not find a cable maker, either, for my PSU further compounding this issue. So I thought I might as well ask and not reinvent the wheel. In fact, I am now considering selling off my power supply just to spare myself of these headaches. I could then start afresh with a power supply that is actually compatible with the Steck's current mounting bracket.

Last edited:

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Take a rope. Attach one end on PSU. Layout the rope all the way to the components. Cut it, trace on a ruler. Add 30-40mm as allowance

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Take a rope. Attach one end on PSU. Layout the rope all the way to the components. Cut it, trace on a ruler. Add 30-40mm as allowance
Awesome. Thanks! Offhand, are any of the cables for the other power supplies that custom cable makers (CableMod and others) build for pinout compatible with the Enermax Revolution SFX?

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I contacted the maker and he said he won’t build cables for my power supply (Enermax Revolution SFX) even though the connector layout on back is quite similar to other SFX power supplies. Does anyone know the recommended lengths for custom cables in the Steck and Ghost S1?

This is the measurement I used for custom cables. (Note 24pin, end up I had to use about 12cm, coz that's the min. length the supplier makes, and the both ends of the adapter are in reversed I think to avoid twisting of the cables - allowing it to be even shorter)
These are measurements I estimated for silver plated mod cables, if you use sleeved I suggest at least 1cm longer for each part/junction. I haven't received the cables yet (should get them this week), so I cannot 100% guarantee these lengths are ok.

I plan to get these cables and add a fan to the bottom, then do some thermal tests. I think it is only fair to push the extreme performance with the most optimal config the case allows.

Still in China, will post updates about case modification later this week.

EDIT: I consider silver plated mod cables coz overall they are thinner, takes up less space. I think to go for the highest performance, just need to spare as much space as possible for better ventilation.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Update on cooling:

could you guys TRY to put the fan of the Noctua NH-L12 and L12S in EXHAUST mode???

I am using now the new L12S in Exhaust. no Top Hat, existing panels, and it's good exactly how my yesterday setup:

Noctua L12 in INTAKE and 2 fans on top in exhaust through a radiator (I had it mounted, not because I need it!)

The case is not more hot as well!

Under Prime95 it stay at 3.7, variable Vcore, and 85 degrees, steady. Maybe @Hifihedgehog you can try your overclock setup trying to reach 3.9Ghz with the bottom fan in exhaust before to mount the AIO liquid system!

I will try in the next days with the panels with more holes.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Maybe @Hifihedgehog you can try your overclock setup trying to reach 3.9Ghz with the bottom fan in exhaust before to mount the AIO liquid system!
Thanks! I already returned the Noctua and have even mounted the Corsair actually, but thanks for the call out. I will need to find time between now and later this weekend to hopefully retest temperatures with the Platinum in a controlled testing environment. I was actually able to manage a 3.95 GHz overclock, but the voltage is a bit high at, I think, 1.41V making it already quite toasty even for this AiO.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Thanks! I already returned the Noctua and have even mounted the Corsair actually, but thanks for the call out. I will need to find time between now and later this weekend to hopefully retest temperatures with the Platinum in a controlled testing environment.
FYI The PSU mount will be updated, along with "other" things.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks! I already returned the Noctua and have even mounted the Corsair actually, but thanks for the call out. I will need to find time between now and later this weekend to hopefully retest temperatures with the Platinum in a controlled testing environment. I was actually able to manage a 3.95 GHz overclock, but the voltage is a bit high at, I think, 1.41V making it already quite toasty even for this AiO.
Quite strange, isn't it? You should get 4.1 with an AIO!!

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Quite strange, isn't it? You should get 4.1 with an AIO!!
That's what I thought. I have been told the H100i RGB Platinum can dissipate up to 400W of thermal energy. I will double check my installation, hopefully, this Thursday (let's just say this week is busier than last). It's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for crying out loud which is the best of the best. Maybe I put on too much? Maybe the Aio is not mounted completely level with the CPU heatspreader? I will go and see.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Testers,

Note: Updated parts (in square brackets) will be sent to existing testers free of charge. Prototyping of the updated parts have begun, will update you on the dates of completion in due course.

It is my plan to offer testers free updates for ver 1.x. This is a gesture to show my appreciation to all of you. And backing it up with real action and money for the claim as a "community participation project", I raise my own bar, let's all raise the bar for the standard of this case together :):

Confirm ver.1.1 updates / improvement for next production run (target Jan 2019, excluding current 500 units in order) :
  1. [base panel] - 120mm x 15mm fan mount holes, ventilation for higher performance, may not be needed for i5s or 2600s
  2. [PSU bracket] - rim shaved, compatibility with more PSU e.g. Enermax
  3. [spine] - strengthen edges, prevent bending during transit
  4. [spine] - raise PSU by ~10mm, allow more room underneath
  5. [spine] - raise height of PCIe adapter standoffs < 2mm, better fitting for GPU with non-standard and thick back-plates
  6. [spine] - enlarge motherboard cutout, easier access for CPU bracket
  7. [1x HDD bracket] - slimmer design, better aesthetics coz creator likes :p
ver 2.0 tentative 4Q 2019 (not confirmed)
  1. [back panel] - redesign with recessed motherboard and GPU IO, i.e.no GPU flange sticking out
  2. [whole case] - lengthening by 10-15mm (to ~325mm) due to [1], complete retooling of all panels
  3. [whole case] - clip on, different implementation comparing to existing cases (prototyping mechanism now!)
  4. [stack radiator mount] - complete redesign, improving airflow, less obstruction
  5. [all panels] - vent holes redesign (your feedback welcome, e.g. sketch out what you would prefer, let's go community!)
  6. [feet] - redesign possible (your feedback on feet examples, shape/style etc welcome)
=========================================
Other matters
  • Nouvolo case model 'Two' to be announced 2Q-3Q 2019. - Initial design completed, detailed fitting and CAD underway

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@Testers,

Note: Updated parts (in square brackets) will be sent to existing testers free of charge. Prototyping of the updated parts have begun, will update you on the dates of completion in due course.

It is my plan to offer testers free updates for ver 1.x. This is a gesture to show my appreciation to all of you. And backing it up with real action and money for the claim as a "community participation project", I raise my own bar, let's all raise the bar for the standard of this case together :):

Confirm ver.1.1 updates / improvement for next production run (target Jan 2019, excluding current 500 units in order) :
  1. [base panel] - 120mm x 15mm fan mount holes, ventilation for higher performance, may not be needed for i5s or 2600s
  2. [PSU bracket] - rim shaved, compatibility with more PSU e.g. Enermax
  3. [spine] - strengthen edges, prevent bending during transit
  4. [spine] - raise PSU by ~10mm, allow more room underneath
  5. [spine] - raise height of PCIe adapter standoffs < 2mm, better fitting for GPU with non-standard and thick back-plates
  6. [spine] - enlarge motherboard cutout, easier access for CPU bracket
  7. [1x HDD bracket] - slimmer design, better aesthetics coz creator likes :p
ver 2.0 tentative 4Q 2019 (not confirmed)
  1. [back panel] - redesign with recessed motherboard and GPU IO, i.e.no GPU flange sticking out
  2. [whole case] - lengthening by 10-15mm (to ~325mm) due to [1], complete retooling of all panels
  3. [whole case] - clip on, different implementation comparing to existing cases (prototyping mechanism now!)
  4. [stack radiator mount] - complete redesign, improving airflow, less obstruction
  5. [all panels] - vent holes redesign (your feedback welcome, e.g. sketch out what you would prefer, let's go community!)
  6. [feet] - redesign possible (your feedback on feet examples, shape/style etc welcome)
=========================================
Other matters
  • Nouvolo case model 'Two' to be announced 2Q-3Q 2019. - Initial design completed, detailed fitting and CAD underway

Sounds awesome Bosco!

I have to say that I really appreciate how open and upfront you are with us during this process.

On the side panel front, I've been pretty slammed with work/personal stuff, but I should be able to circle back around to some CFD analysis again this weekend. I hope to get the parametric frame work and current panels figured out by the time new designs start rolling in.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Enjoy:

EDIT: This will be "part" of the final video if Steck were to be launched in KS. This is around 20sec. Another 1.5min of video will be added in front with some introductory narrative and environmental / size comparison shots. Total duration of the video will be about 2min.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

Looking good!

A few small critiques:

It would be nice to show the radiator going into the top hat.

Before fading out, do one full pan around the case.

Optional (or maybe a separate media piece): Show it against silhouettes of a few other common SFF cases to provide a sense of scale.

Reactions: fabio

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
That is so generous of you, Bosco. I look forward to the progress in this marvelous case.
That's what I thought. I have been told the H100i RGB Platinum can dissipate up to 400W of thermal energy. I will double check my installation, hopefully, this Thursday (let's just say this week is busier than last). It's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for crying out loud which is the best of the best. Maybe I put on too much? Maybe the Aio is not mounted completely level with the CPU heatspreader? I will go and see.
Just as an update, I did in fact mismount the AiO. It is running now at 4.0 GHz and 1.4625V with just 78 degrees peak (with the metal side panels installed) after an hour of IntelBurnTest so I could possibly go a bit higher. However, I am leery of upping the voltage any higher due to the increased chance of electromigration rearing its ugly head.

Last edited: