Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Sliger SM560
That one is about 160mm wide, more like NCase M1 size. but cost to make is probably higher than NCase M1...
For the same size NCase M1 supports bigger air cooler (probably up to 150-160mm), with similar size and sandwiched config CPU cooler size is much limited (only take is for those who just likes to see the GFX card placed vertically for display). i.e. for similar size cases sandwiched lose out in CPU thermal options vs traditional layout

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
Sliger SM560
That one is about 160mm wide, more like NCase M1 size. but cost to make is probably higher than NCase M1...
For the same size NCase M1 supports bigger air cooler (probably up to 150-160mm), with similar size and sandwiched config CPU cooler size is much limited (only take is for those who just likes to see the GFX card placed vertically for display). i.e. for similar size cases sandwiched lose out in CPU thermal options vs traditional layout
I was talking about watercooling. So, a single slot card (waterblock) and fittings on it. Most fittings on the market have an installed height of about 30mm and hardly fit in a sandwich case. See this post.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I was talking about watercooling. So, a single slot card (waterblock) and fittings on it. Most fittings on the market have an installed height of about 30mm and hardly fit in a sandwich case. See this post.
Oh, ok I see what you mean, just need to be slightly thicker to house the tube joints. I will add that in the design brief for next version. ?.

But wouldn't the adapter below work for the tight spacing?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Sorry I didn't read the previous post, I was commenting on available 3 slot sandwich style cases. I have a custom loop in my Ghost S1 and I am using Koolance low profile 90 adapters on both the CPU and GPU blocks. It is very snug but they do fit. I am using barbs with hose clamps rather than compression fittings to give me maximum clearance but with the glass panels in the Steck you could probably use compression fittings.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
OK, I am planning a Steck custom loop. Since no users (mostly newbies) have tried it yet. Maybe I need to dive you to make a demo to kick start it.

I have a question tho, anybody has experience with making use the CPU block+pump in AIO kit? I am thinking of breaking up the tubings and use that CPU block+pump. Seems a cheap alternative to pump+cpu block. Then maybe I will use a t-junction instead of reservoir.

Seems the smallest setup for SFF custom loop? Your comments welcome before I break apart an AIO ?
  • cpu block + pump combo (from AIO kit)
  • T-junction instead of full blown reservoir

Last edited:
Reactions: Longbow072

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
Oh, ok I see what you mean, just need to be slightly thicker to house the tube joints. I will add that in the design brief for next version. ?.

But wouldn't the adapter below work for the tight spacing?
Yes, this definitely helps, but unfortunately not every waterblock manufacturer offers adapters like this. I admit that this is quite a rare use case, but to be able to fit 90 degree rotateable fittings on the GPU side would be great ☺
Sorry I didn't read the previous post, I was commenting on available 3 slot sandwich style cases. I have a custom loop in my Ghost S1 and I am using Koolance low profile 90 adapters on both the CPU and GPU blocks. It is very snug but they do fit. I am using barbs with hose clamps rather than compression fittings to give me maximum clearance but with the glass panels in the Steck you could probably use compression fittings.
Yes, JayzTwoCents used barbs in his Ghost S1 watercooled build. But if I remember correctly, they touched the side panels and pressed the gpu towards the middle frame.

The thing is, I'm more of a hard tubing fan ? Hard tubing fittings need more space in height, as they have to be compression fittings.

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
OK, I am planning a Steck custom loop. Since no users (mostly newbies) have tried it yet. Maybe I need to dive you to make a demo to kick start it.

I have a question tho, anybody has experience with making use the CPU block+pump in AIO kit? I am thinking of breaking up the tubings and use that CPU block+pump. Seems a cheap alternative to pump+cpu block. Then maybe I will use a t-junction instead of reservoir.

Seems the smallest setup for SFF custom loop? Your comments welcome before I break apart an AIO ?
  • cpu block + pump combo (from AIO kit)
  • T-junction instead of full blown reservoir
The Problem is that AIO pumps are way to weak to fill the loop. Especially without a reservoir this will be pretty hard. Maybe impossible to get the bubbles out. The only CPU block/pump combos i know are this and the Apogee Drive II. The Alphacool Eisbaer LT also has quite a weak pump, while the Apogee Drive II features a stronger DDC pump. Maybe it's also possible to fit a DDC pump under the PSU?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, this definitely helps, but unfortunately not every waterblock manufacturer offers adapters like this. I admit that this is quite a rare use case, but to be able to fit 90 degree rotateable fittings on the GPU side would be great ☺

Yes, JayzTwoCents used barbs in his Ghost S1 watercooled build. But if I remember correctly, they touched the side panels and pressed the gpu towards the middle frame.

The thing is, I'm more of a hard tubing fan ? Hard tubing fittings need more space in height, as they have to be compression fittings.

Take a look at this post on [H]ard, the user has a Ghost with hard line tubing, appears he is using an EK block with fittings at the top but I can't tell for sure. You might try messaging him.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
By that do you mean you are planning a custom loop kit?
Depends... ?

I will do some testing with a standard AIO CPU block + pump mod, I think can do a simple mod from soft tube to hard tube adapter.
AIO pump <=[very short soft tubing]=> female to female adapter <=> [hard tubing] for the rest

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
That sounds perfect, thanks! It seems like it'll fit based on build pics I've seen of the case, although I might need 90° pci-e connectors so the cables don't interfere with AIO fans on the top panel. I'll probably pickup the card anyway since it's only $250. At worst I can sell it or stick it in my work machine.

So, the GamingX cooler on the 980ti will fit (and as far as the specs read the 1080 has the same height), but you'll definitely need to get some low profile PCI-E connectors if you don't plan on using a stack unit. See the pictures below.

Reactions: VeeTeeF

Dark3ndSoulz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 12, 2019
@Nouvolo is the gpu compartment in the steck a little wider than the one for the ghost s1? wondering about 10/13 barbs or 6/10 compression fittings for the gpu waterblock. 10/13 compression fittings dont work in the ghost s1 because it bulges out too much

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Nouvolo is the gpu compartment in the steck a little wider than the one for the ghost s1? wondering about 10/13 barbs or 6/10 compression fittings for the gpu waterblock. 10/13 compression fittings dont work in the ghost s1 because it bulges out too much
I will try to test it out myself also, if time allows. But I guess the smallest you can go for is 10/13mm. Would help if somebody with spare parts and test out the fitting to confirm if it's ok...

ssri

Efficiency Noob
Dec 23, 2018
This is probably a general hardware-related question and not appropriate here, but I am not sure offhand where I can ask easily. My PSU (SF 600 platinum) just died I think. I am not sure. It makes a double click noise when I press the power button. But it does so in the same rhythm as if the computer turns on. When I press once from a cold start, it double clicks. Then it doesn't do that on button press until I hold the power button for more than 2 seconds. Then it acts like as if from a cold start. There are no lights or startup fans... Can anybody suggest how I could troubleshoot this? I haven't had a traditional desktop in some time and not clear on where to start.
Thanks!!