Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@testers,

For the time being, for those who are going for extreme performance/thermals, actually you can add a 120x15mm fan (with double sided tape) below the PSU as a temporary mod. I expect better thermals, though no ssd bracket. No problem if you guys use m.2.

I will do that and do some testing this weekend. If you want me to test first and wait for me to post some results, be all means. Just a suggestion if you guys just want to keep it on your desktop as it looks just too awesome! :)

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
(...)
For the time being, for those who are going for extreme performance/thermals (...)
A decent AIO also works wonders. The Corsair R100i RGB Platinum also works well. I have my Ryzen 7 1700 at 4.0 GHz and 1.4625V. Its peak total CPU package power draw is approximately 206 watts and it peaks at 78/80 degrees Celsius with metal and glass panels in IntelBurnTest. During heavy gaming, I am usually in the 40s for my temperature. I imagine with the bottom fan and metal panels and custom power cables, I would knock off 3-5 degrees. Hopefully I will have photos tonight, though my power cables’ cable management is a dreadful and embarrassing rat’s nest to look at!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I will do that and do some testing this weekend. If you want me to test first and wait for me to post some results, be all means. Just a suggestion if you guys just want to keep it on your desktop as it looks just too awesome! :)
I bet there are people who are not testers (and therefore without a Steck) but are still interested to see what is going on.
So, may I suggest, if you can, in the future, post a pic or two of any awesome idea of yours?
I just think a pic means much more as it fully conveys visually the awesome-ness.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I bet there are people who are not testers (and therefore without a Steck) but are still interested to see what is going on.
So, may I suggest, if you can, in the future, post a pic or two of any awesome idea of yours?
I just think a pic means much more as it fully conveys visually the awesome-ness.
Not all testers have posted pics yet ;) Keep those photos coming plz :)

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just some information about motherboard compatibility:

One tester had difficulty with mounting NH-L12S (I guess would be same for NH-L12) using ASRock Z87E-itx motherboard. I have done a comparison with other boards from ASRock and Asus. Note the position of the CPU sockets do matter. If that happens to you also. I can only suggest using NH-L9x65 instead (or other more conventional tower shape coolers), next best from L12(S).

EDIT: another option - keep your NH-L12S and upgrade your mb/cpu ;)

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I can only suggest using NH-L9x65 instead (or other more conventional tower shape coolers), next best from L12(S).

Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is another good alternative (58mm), especially if you replace the fan with an A12x15. I've seen people put an A12x25 on it with good results, but 73mm probably wont fit without some squishing of the heatpipes.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thermals (6 / 10) (Edited 11/15 with Top Hat Results)
Presently this is the one area where the Steck could use some considerable improvement. Running Prime 95 (with AVX) my i7 7700 at 4.0 GHz and 1.05 Volts would get really toasty with the side panels on.

Test: Prime 95 (with AVX) for 1 hour
Steck with Panel on: 90 C
Steck with Panel off: 80 C
Steck with Top Hat and 2X Fractal Venturi 120mm Fans and Panel On: 75 C
Steck with Top Hat and 2X Fractal Venturi 120mm Fans and Panel Off: 71 C
Steck with Top Hat and 2X Fractal Venturi 120mm Fans and Glass Panel: 82 C
Node 202 with Filter: 87 C
Node 202 without Filter: 85 C

Update 11/15: Having a couple top mounted 120mm fans to exhaust hot air makes a world of difference, dropping 15 C with the magnetic side panel on, and staying nearly as cool as side panel off with the glass panel in place! This furthers my belief that even in a purely air-cooling setup that if a 30mm "short-top" existed, that it would alleviate the need for side panel perforation at all for lower powered CPUs.

Updated my review with some top hat results.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
If purely going for passive cooling. I will not let you guys use that top hat, it is just too big. I will find a way to fit a fan inside. I and all of you are not going to be "OK" with the added height right? :D

It is pretty big, and I definitely prefer the aesthetic without the symmetry breaking affect of the top hat. I would actually be okay with an 18mm top and bottom pair to sandwich the main body between a set of 15mm fans though. I'm hoping to order a couple A12x15s this weekend and then I'll work on some more thermal testing to simulate your plan for thin fan compatibility in the main chassis.

Getting the flow above or likely below the motherboard appears to be key though. I just turned off the one fan above the mobo and left the one above the PSU on, and the temps rose by ~8C with the glass panel on back up to 90.

Edit: Just placed an order for a Scythe Big Shurken and a Noctua A12x15, so I'll update again once I collect some more data.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
... Getting the flow above or likely below the motherboard appears to be key though. I just turned off the one fan above the mobo and left the one above the PSU on, and the temps rose by ~8C with the glass panel on back up to 90.
Personally I will settle for anything in low 80's deg C, without too much compromise in size and aesthetics. We are talking full tower case performance with temps of 70's. I am still looking for ways to lower the temps as it is but just heads up to all of you that I may settle for low 80s. I have more things to consider such as which metal piece needs to be changed and the cost impact of retooling.

EDIT: All changes now are for 1.x branch. I can only afford bigger changes in ver 2.0. I am conscious of not steering off into a forever development phase, end up like that of our "neighboring thread". At the end of the day, I NEED to ship...

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Personally I will settle for anything in low 80's deg C, without too much compromise in size and aesthetics. We are talking full tower case performance with temps of 70's. I am still looking for ways to lower the temps as it is but just heads up to all of you that I may settle for low 80s. I have more things to consider such as which metal piece needs to be changed and the cost impact of retooling.

For sure, low 80's is a great target, especially if it can be hit with an L9i. I suspect that the Big Shurken will bring my temps in line with the NH-L12, and wanted to be able to compare the A12x15 to the Scythe Slipstream (12mm fan) as I'll likely have an easier time cramming it under the PSU with my extra stiff cables.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Here is my current build in the Nouvolo Steck.

CPU: i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Big Shiruken 2 Rev. B
RAM: 16 Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6Gb (originally tried the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb, but it will need 90-degree PCIe power adapters)

Custom power cables are on the way to help tidy up.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Here is my current build in the Nouvolo Steck.

CPU: i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Big Shiruken 2 Rev. B
RAM: 16 Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6Gb (originally tried the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb, but it will need 90-degree PCIe power adapters)

Custom power cables are on the way to help tidy up.

Suggestions based on photos:
- screw the 2 flat head screws further down so that they lie flush with the top horizontal bracket, then top panel will be flushed.
- when you screw in the feet, try use the finger to adjust and hold the feet position so that it aligns with the front/back panels. Then you can get the feet to lie flush with the panels.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
If purely going for passive cooling. I will not let you guys use that top hat, it is just too big. I will find a way to fit a fan inside. I and all of you are not going to be "OK" with the added height right? :D
In my opinion, for version 2, try to see if you can rise the height of 16 mm, without adding another top hat size! I don’t think will change the aesthetic, and you will provide an out of the box solution!

Another Update, i’ve Also got a 9900K and a n Asus Z390, I would like to test it with the noctua L12S and the Alpenfohn Black Ridge!
But, I need to remove the I/O shitty shroud that ASUS put on it! For the VRM I will replace the big heat sink with this!

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

Next week more uodates!!

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
... Update, i’ve Also got a 9900K and a n Asus Z390, I would like to test it with the noctua L12S and the Alpenfohn Black Ridge! But, I need to remove the I/O shitty shroud that ASUS put on it! For the VRM I will replace the big heat song with this! ...
9900K ??? :confused: You are kidding right?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
9900K ??? :confused: You are kidding right?
I mean, if the temps are under prime at 3.7ghz around 85 degrees with the 2700X and the L12S, why not with the 9900K?
Lower stock TDP at 3.6ghz and lower vcore volts.
As the Ryzen goes on turbo at 4.2, the 9900k should be able to go in turbo as intended by Intel!
I need to disable all the Overclocking bullshit from the ASUS motherboard and keep it “simple as” Intel has thought it. (I guess???)
If it can stay around 80/75 in Prime, is perfect!
I want to try to stay on air/smaller factor before to go on Liquid, that will work for sure, but we know!

(I was using before it an 8700K (delidded) with a small L9i in the DAN case, and at stock, no turbo, it stay at 85 degrees under Prime, with no thermal throttling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chinaman