NFC S4 #67 - Project: Artemis

Jimmythebarrel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 28, 2016
Its not really about getting the exact same size.

A scan or stencil will not take into account the actual dimensions you want on the vinyl. You don't want it on the exact edge, it's easy to get snagged and pull the vinyl away. You want it slightly back, so it presents a smoother surface if something slides across it.

It's impossible to wrap the edges on the inside of these. Vinyl won't do those kinds of compound curves, and there isn't enough surface area to adhere to if it could. I also don't want to run the risk of damaging the finish on those interior curves. The orange will remain there.

The red vinyl is just some cheap stuff we are using to test cuts. We will do a wet install on the final test cuts, makes it easier to line up. Once we have the dimensions all right, we go to a different vinyl. Much easier to work with, but, also, a lot more expensive.

The final wrap won't be red. I have something else in mind. Going to be sweet.

Jimmythebarrel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 28, 2016
So after 3 test cuts to get sizes close, we did the first wet install. We still have some tweaks to make here and there. From here on, all the installs will be wet installs. Only way to really line up all those cutouts.

So, we are so very close, yet, so far away! We will have to adjust those outer edges a bit. Some slight adjustments to the cutouts, and a little more on the screw holes.

The front bezel is almost right. Need to extend that just a little more. Our previous tests were more focused on the side panels.

Oh yeah.

Other side panel. Again, minor tweaks on the cutouts. I raised the screws up a bit to check clearance, need a little more.

It's almost there. Those cutouts on the side panels make this a devilish project. They effectively quintuple the linear ft of edge you need to line up. While also making it a bitch to line up each, individual hole. We were adjusting the cutouts as a whole, one change affects all. We will now need to start making adjustments on a more individual basis and get it just right. I also found a couple of flaws in the powder coat I need to smooth.

This is the FIRST vinyl project on this build. There is another phase of vinyl after.

I also ordered my cable supplies. I am going to to build completely custom cables, from scratch. Only the Dell power brick will keep its cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Kmpkt

Jimmythebarrel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 28, 2016
Small update. We started to work on the print!

We will be making our very own camo pattern. Not sure if I want the vinyl to have blaze or not. I think a more standard camo pattern and let the blaze orange pop a little more. The smoke though. Oh, yeah.

This is a much better vinyl. I can start installing hardware and still wrap, as we do not need to wet install this vinyl.