NFC S4 Mini #083 - Safety Orange

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I would guess the FirePro or Quadro are bad choices for gaming unless they are hardware identical to a consumer card and can be installed as such by the guest VM. AMD Radeon cards can be passed-through a VM without issue, Nvidia Geforce cards have restrictions for this.
Depends on the installation really.
For a multihead setup, where monitors are hooked directly to the card, the gaming GPU might have been better (don't really know), but the server/workstation cards tend to be better optimized for virtualization and remote rendering over a network, but getting the same performance out of any card running a virtual machine is still tricky.

temporary housing with high level of mess
You're not also testing you cooling solution?
Speaking of which, how loud do you expect it to be. Server fans aren't known for their acoustics, but you also mentioned you were taking that fan and putting it on a larger heatsink (meaning you can run it more slowly)

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
You're not also testing you cooling solution?
Speaking of which, how loud do you expect it to be. Server fans aren't known for their acoustics, but you also mentioned you were taking that fan and putting it on a larger heatsink (meaning you can run it more slowly)
I am. first run of the combo dynatron cooler will be at end of this week. I have high expectations for the vapor chamber solution.
the heatsink pictured is just the 'work-in-progress' one, I put it on every CPU with square ILMs during quick tests. works well with a 8 or 12cm fan on any testbenches.

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Any updates? This was looking pretty cool. I hope you didn't give up. :D
Thanks for asking.

Life just became much more difficult recently. the hardware seems to be stable in the temporary realan case and was used for some performance measurement and development. the demo did not happen but there are chances to have it at the end of this month. actually with a 2x40G NIC configured in 2x2x10G mode we could do 30G full duplex @512B packets without finetuning. that is pretty impressive but the goal is 40G. (hoping to see with smaller packets) Shame on me, #83 is still (or again) in its cardboard box.

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
this might be one of the slowest s4 mini builds.
but there is something ongoing. I will get an ameri-rack riser splitter and try to add two linecards. with a decent processor (and with simple forwarding/processing rules) I might be able to go beyond 40G with a virtual router appliance.
the following pictures are just high quality renders :D

so as of now only one of the network cards are functional. luckily enough those cards are low profile ones so if the ameri-rack riser splitter is too tough and the cable does not bend I probably will just move them closer towards the end of the case. ideally they could fit to the top with the low profile front plate and I just need to find a good solution for fixing them in a stable way.

Last edited:

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Gents,

I am proud to inform you that the motherboard Asrock C612D4I does PCI-E bifurcation with Ameri-Rack ARC1-PELY423-C5V3 riser splitter.
Josh's S4 Mini is a fantastic case for this project!
I am getting closer and closer to have a 4.3 liter 80G (theoritical) router :)

so now I have two x8 cards working.
no performance tests done yet but this is quite promising.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This makes me wonder if you could do something similar with two of the new WX 5100 cards.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
This makes me wonder if you could do something similar with two of the new WX 5100 cards.
looks possible, but you need to solve some problems:
- cooling: one card blocks the other and you anyway are planning to cool down 150W on top of your CPU.
- power: the wx5100 has a dedicated power connector so I do not expect it to draw too much power from pcie, thus you do not need a powered pcie riser splitter. but you need a power splitter or even a dedicated power to them 2x6 pin, 150W.

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
no clue what kinda cards those are but you split 1 PCI-EX port into 2
network cards. with 2x40G connections but only one of them can be active (or, rather total of 40G because the 40G ports can be splitted into 10G ones...)
I've learnt many things from this forum about pcie bifurcation. lots of knowledeable people here.
and concept and your execution looks awesome. :D Beautiful S4 color btw.
the color is by Josh. he was experimenting with plastidip. this is a kind of a lighthouse orange :) in any environment this is the first thing to need to look at.

Reactions: Phuncz

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
the project seems to work :)
the 65W e5-2650L v4 fits nicely. well, I only have an engineering sample, so it is limited to 1.6GHz and no turbo at all, but still has 14c/28t.
today I reached 12.95Mpps which means only ~6.3Gbps (full duplex) with 64byte packets but it also means I can max out the theoritical 2x40G easily with 1000byte packets!
out of the 28HT 26 is spinning in tight loop (poll mode driver) and still the temperature is between 63-65C which I consider as a great value.

traffic generator for the test is Pktgen-DPDK with 8x10G ports.
Next week demo!

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
The whole idea to build SafetyOrange was about to demonstrate the power and effectiveness of our virtual router platform. Finally the scope widened. I realized that there is no real alternative of S4 Mini regarding our job to have a standalone development and test environment if we want to avoid the serious overhead of centrally managed servers, cabling and resource allocation. Our company rents our notebooks, pays more than $100 for each 'managed workspace' a month!
We all could have an S4 Mini here instead.
- It has a small footprint, so no additional space in the office required, they can fit anywhere in the cubicles where there is a space for a notebook with docking station.
- The small footprint also helps to find them space even in a lab if we want to use them as servers (with multi-10G optical connections between them) it is only the additional heat needs to be taken care of.
- S4 Mini has nice ventilation and this is not a problem to keep them cool and quiet so they are fitting well into office space.
- With the dual slot support we can choose between NIC+NIC (server) config or NIC+GPU (workstation) builds.
- Because it is small we can move them easily around so creating any network or topology just for sake of an experiment would be really quick, too. Just two or three of us move to a meeting room for an hour with our Minis and connect them the way we want. No need for waiting anybody else.
- And finally they look awesome! Can you immagine e.g. a fleet of S4 Minis in an office space?

Yes, there are a few things to solve like their management and maintenance if needed. But I do not think this is a serious impediment. I had the demo today and the figures were pretty impressive. On top of it the audience loved the SafetyOrange.

Big big big thanks to Josh | NFC for this awesome chassis!

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Oh dang, now I can totally understand why you'd want to put multiple of my buttons in there. That would look absolutely amazing!
And there's easily enough space in front of the cards for four of them right next to each other :eek:
Exactly :)
Those buttons could be the the status monitors and/or performance meters. e.g. showing active/standby links or indicating link failure, link usage, bandwidth occupancy, etc. e.g. changing mode by just pressing them.
Despite of the servers typically being monitored via remote applications I have to make this work. Awesome gadgetry :D
And probably Josh have already been thinking about how to make S4 Minis rackable.

rokabeka

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
I think the project absolutely has reached its targets.
Internally I had a few demos at the company and now I am allowed to build officially 5 clones of SafetyOrange on the money of the company :D

And finally there was a small conference in San Jose, CA.
The video itself does not show the SafetyOrange too much but it was there on the stage during the whole presentation. The audience really liked this tiny box and I had lots of questions after the presentation, too.
This is the presentation material in pdf if anybody is interested :)

I am really thankful to Josh | NFC he designed and produced this wonderful case and I had a chance to build my server into it.