Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
I don‘t know.
There is a YouTube How-To for bending the L12S.

But Since an A12x15 also can be put under L12, it‘s Not that Problem.

Reactions: Bjornyyy

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Thanks. I have a Quadro I'm moving forward from my workstation. I plan to acquire a RTX as soon as there's a need (and / or ray tracing takes off). If I had to buy today, I'd pick up a RTX 2080 Ti or better.

I'll pick up a L12. What maximum power consumption do you think I can get away with using only the bottom fan? 130w? 150w?

Any thoughts on bending / force fitting a L12S? I almost want to use my friend's CNC mill to cut an appropriate opening and let the L12S stick out the ~4mm. I'd have to paint it back and, of course, there's the issue of the case sides sliding in vs popping on from the side, making assembly troublesome... Dare to dream.

Still happy with the Z390 Phantom?
I think 130w would be ok to me. 150w may work depending on how loud you can tolerate your fan noise. If you’re not running extended CPU rendering, you should be fine.

If you must, you can try bending the L12S, it’s not a super drastic change... I’d just get the 66mm version L12 while stock lasts (I haven’t checked lately)

Yes, IMHO the Asrock is much better than the Asus. I do prefer the Asus UEFI interface though.

In any case, good luck!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Update 2018-12-17
I have since moved this build back into my original SFF case, the NCase M1. Posts here.
I really like the S1. I love the flexibility of the top hats (albeit a little fussy to use), and the gorgeously machined aluminum extrusions which get transformed into the signature Louqe slide-in case panels.

However, with my set of components, mainly the hot 9900k, and loud reference Founders Edition 2080, I needed more cooling capability for both components, and the M1 was able to provide better cooling for them.

Original post below:

Moved my main pc into the Louqe Ghost S1.
i9-9900K
Strix Z390i
Noctua NH-L12 with A12x25 fan
Crucial 32gb kit (DDR4 - 2666 VLP EUDIMM)
RTX 2080 FE
Noctua A12x25 bottom intake fan
Corsair SF 600 Platinum

Needed VLP ram to fit the excellent A12x25 fan:

Perfect fit @ 66mm

• CPU no overclocking (95w limit) = 60c during Prime95 small FFT torture.
  • CPU @ 150w power limit = 78c during Prime 95 small FFT torture.
  • GPU no overclocking = 65c during Heaven torture with 78% fan speed
I am waiting for the Ghost! I was wondering if you tried also the slim Noctua under the L12!

SmootyPoody

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
Hey Nanook.

I have done some extensive testing on a 9900K setup with C14 vs 240mm AIO, and I dont understand how you are getting those temps. I need help for optimization. Your temps are much lower than mine. Are you running 200% fan speed? :-P

Have been sharing it over on HardOCP and I can see that you liked my posted.
https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase...n-first-post.1717132/page-693#post-1044093252

You can see all my tests here.. Took more than 2 weeks to complete.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I am waiting for the Ghost! I was wondering if you tried also the slim Noctua under the L12!
Nice! It’s a fun case to build in for sure. The top hats do feel a little fussy to me after awhile. The flexibility really is very nice though.
No I didn’t try the slim A12x15 with the L12 in the Ghost. I have tried the A12x15 with the L12S with a 8700K in the Lone L4 before. I have a separate build log for that case somewhere on this site too :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hey Nanook.

I have done some extensive testing on a 9900K setup with C14 vs 240mm AIO, and I dont understand how you are getting those temps. I need help for optimization. Your temps are much lower than mine. Are you running 200% fan speed? :-P

Have been sharing it over on HardOCP and I can see that you liked my posted.
https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase...n-first-post.1717132/page-693#post-1044093252

You can see all my tests here.. Took more than 2 weeks to complete.

Hi @SmootyPoody ! I have to look at your spreadsheet on the computer. Doesn’t seem to let me scroll my phone on [H], and doesn’t even show up here. Stay tuned!

Reactions: SmootyPoody

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
@SmootyPoody I'm looking at your spread sheet, and am running both Prime95 (v28.5) small FFT and Furmark (v1.20.4.0) right now for 15 minutes. I'm using Cerberus feet instead of the M1 feet for a few extra mm in height.
  • CPU 5.0ghz all cores
  • AVX offset is -2 (4.8ghz during small FFT test)
  • 32gb ram, stock 2666
  • GPU stock for this test
  • CPU 87c avg 91c max
  • Motherboard VRM 99c max
  • GPU 67c avg 67c max
My fans don't really bother me too much, since the my office is next to the furnace room, and the furnace blower can be very loud. For this test, my fans are on Balanced Mode, which means the temps got higher quicker, but with CPU/GPU stress tests running at the same time, it's only a matter of time before the fans spin up to max speeds. I didn't bother setting fixed speed and testing for how long until my chips start throttling... that's an unrealistic setup for me personally. Then again, running 100% utilization for both the CPU and GPU at the same time isn't all that realistic for me either, but I digress. Even when my furnance isn't running, and with all 4 A12x25 and AIO pumps at full tilt, they do not bother me at all. For reference, my M1 sits about 3' / 1m away from me these days. It is also sitting behind my left monitor.

Your temps aren't bad at all. They're realistic.
If you really want to "optimize", your next and final step is to go with bottom exhaust. This means that you'll have to slap an Accelero III on your 1060, and flip the bottom A12x25 fans to exhaust. You'll get a few degrees back on the CPU, and likely -10c or better on the GPU. Whether or you want to open up your 1060 is up to you :)

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
I'm also running some OC experiment with my delidded 9900k and a c14s (ASROCK z390 phantom ITX).

I'm running 5ghz on ~1.325vcore (1.344 under stress load). It's quite annoying that I can't get realbench to pass with 0 AVX offset. It can pass at 1/2 avx offset. Just blue screen and die, I think I'm hitting my thermal limit with the C14s at 5ghz and full AVX running (realbench). I suspect I can get the vcore to be lower, closer to 1.3 (if I'm not stubborn with getting 5ghz on 0 AVX offset).

What prime95 are you using? I've tried non-avx FFT size from 8-4096k for a bit of blends (and not just small fft). This hits 100C+ after about 15 mins. I'm assuming the first 15 mins were smaller size FFT so it was ok, but not once the fft size are 2k+. I wasn't comfortable with the CPU running that hot so I'd terminate the test then.

Have you tried running yours with Asus Realbench stress? (If not, would you possibly do that to compare)?

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I'm also running some OC experiment with my delidded 9900k and a c14s (ASROCK z390 phantom ITX).

I'm running 5ghz on ~1.325vcore (1.344 under stress load). It's quite annoying that I can't get realbench to pass with 0 AVX offset. It can pass at 1/2 avx offset. Just blue screen and die, I think I'm hitting my thermal limit with the C14s at 5ghz and full AVX running (realbench). I suspect I can get the vcore to be lower, closer to 1.3 (if I'm not stubborn with getting 5ghz on 0 AVX offset).

What prime95 are you using? I've tried non-avx FFT size from 8-4096k for a bit of blends (and not just small fft). This hits 100C+ after about 15 mins. I'm assuming the first 15 mins were smaller size FFT so it was ok, but not once the fft size are 2k+. I wasn't comfortable with the CPU running that hot so I'd terminate the test then.

Have you tried running yours with Asus Realbench stress? (If not, would you possibly do that to compare)?
Prime95 (v28.5)

anpanmant

Efficiency Noob
Mar 12, 2019
Switched to C14 with 5x Noctua A12x25 fans. I’m stubborn about not having any exhaust blowing at me, so both the left (front for me) fans and bottom fans are set to intake. Rear A9x14 fan is set to exhaust. Also elevated the case slightly with the Cerberus feet.

Played around with some overclocking:
UEFI settings:
MCE on
Locked boost power limit at 190w per Noctua recommendation for the C14.
Gaming boosts up to 5ghz
Torture tests boosts to 4.5ghz
GPU boosts up to 2010mhz

Prime95 small FFT and Heaven running at the same time:
CPU 75c
GPU 64c

Gaming temperatures:
CPU 50c
GPU 64c

I think the U9S might be dissipating heat faster than the C14.

@Nanook, I was wondering if you have finished planning your cable management? I will be doing a build with ASRock Z390 and Corsair SF 600W as well, wonder if you have any advice/tips when ordering custom cables. I will be doing rigid tubing and one of the build I looked at suggested the following custom cables length to order:
  • 24pin @ 250mm
  • 8pin eps @ 350mm
  • 6pin pcie @ 180mm
  • 8pin pcie @ 180mm
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
@Nanook, I was wondering if you have finished planning your cable management? I will be doing a build with ASRock Z390 and Corsair SF 600W as well, wonder if you have any advice/tips when ordering custom cables. I will be doing rigid tubing and one of the build I looked at suggested the following custom cables length to order:
  • 24pin @ 250mm
  • 8pin eps @ 350mm
  • 6pin pcie @ 180mm
  • 8pin pcie @ 180mm
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Im still using most of my stock sleeved cables that came with the Corsair 600w platinum. The only custom cable I purchase was a 250mm 24 pin cable from CableMod. Their black sleeve matched the Corsair sleeve, but I’m sure you could get a cheaper option.

For my Silverstone 650w PSU, I have a set of custom cables, and my findings FYI:
  • 24pin @ 300mm (looks and routes great)
  • 8pin eps @ 300mm (ok)
  • Pcie @ 150mm (works, but too short for a nice route !)

junaidx7

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2019
Hi nanook,

I've read your post and it seems so promising and encouraging.

I'm planning to get A ghost s1/nouvolo steck

which the steck has 70mm cpu clearance any suggestions how I may be able to use the A12x25 noctua fans on the l12s or l12, it seems hard to find very low profile rams with high frequencies and supposedly ddr4.

Would there be other comparable heatsink that I can pair with a12x25 fans (I believe they are the best fans right now static and airflow wise) and the overall heatsink height would remain under 66mm/70mm

Please suggest me thank you!

I have been looking at
axp 100 , cryorig c7 cu but I'm unsure how they actually are.

anpanmant

Efficiency Noob
Mar 12, 2019
Prime95 (v28.5)

Hi Nanook,

Thank you so much for your insight. I order a set of them length on Ensourced. Hopefully they turn out well.
Another quick question, since you are also one of the few that is using the Z390, how are you managing the fan headers?

I am going to have two Noctua A12x25 at the bottom and a A9 for rear. Also, I have a D5 pump which will take up a PWM slot.
I wonder if I need to use any Y spliters or 3 to 1 spliter to the MOBO?
What is your set up like? It seems Z390 only have 2 fan headers on MOBO if I didn't remember wrong.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I use lots of splitters. It’s the way of life with miniITX motherboards. I usually use the simple Y splitters that comes with Noctua fans, or a 8-way hub from Silverstone (needs Sata power), NZXT Grid, or the Corsair Commander Pro. I’ve tried most of them, and found the simple Y-splitter work best. I usually plug the pump PWM to the AIO header (on the Strix), or the CHA optional header (for the Phantom ITX). The fans that are related to the cpu cooler usually gets plugged into the CPU header (fans that clip to the fin stack, or the fans mounted on the radiator that is connected to the cpu).

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx and fabio

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Copied my post from Sliger’s SM550 post to my ever-changing build log:

Here are my parts:
  • SM550 with full window panels
  • i9-9900K
  • Scythe Big Shuriken 3, minus fan
  • Asrock Phantom ITX Z390
  • Crucial 32gb VLP ram
  • EVGA 2080ti XC, intact (upgrades from Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders Edition)
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum
  • 2x NF-A12x25
  • One M.2 drive, and one SSD
In putting the build together, I love being able to access components from all sides. I didn’t realize that the top panel was removable at first, and took quite some time trying to shimmy the motherboard into its space around the PSU bracket and the bottom fans. Once I pulled up the online manual, things went much more smoothly.

I was most curious with the case fan only setup. I didn’t get a chance to remove the fans from the 2080ti yet.

I ran two very short tests:

Test #1
  • 9900k OC set to 215w power limit, unlimited boost time, -3AVX, 5ghz all cores
  • Ram locked at 2666, everything ram related is set to auto
  • Prime95 small FFT
  • Case fans at 100%
  • Temps shoot up to 102C, and continue to rise
  • I stopped the torture test after 3 seconds

Test #2
  • 9900k set to 130w short term boost, 95w long term boost, everything else auto
  • Ram locked at 2666, everything ram related is set to auto
  • Prime95 small FFT
  • Case fans at 100%
  • Temps was at 81c during long term boost at around 10 minutes, but slowly creep up. I didn’t give it more time to record temperature.
I didn’t test GPU yet, but I will check temps when I fire up some games. I predict the 2080 ti XC non-ultra to run at mid-high 70s with the acrylic panel. I also realized that the PCIe riser was blocking most of the vents above the CPU chamber, and trapping hot air. I'll open it up tonight and try to put more of the riser cable to the GPU chamber.

My initial thoughts (not conclusion as my tests were super brief) are that the case fans only set up works, even on a “Intel stock setting” 9900K. My main workload / gaming won’t tax the CPU as much as Prime95. I do run long Keyshot render queues on my 9900K sometimes, so ultimately I will switch back to a larger cooler (larger case)? My vented panels should be here next week, so I will conduct more test then. In the mean time, I will track performance for my day-to-day tasks and playing Division 2.

Here are photographs of my build. The BS3 looks great in the SM550. Ill be honest to say that the case fan only configuration works much better with lower TDP CPUs, or locking down the 9900k to be “Intel” stock at 95w. My vented panels should be here midweek next week, and they will greatly help out with the 2080ti. However for the cpu cooler, if I were to use a vented panel, I’d have to downgrade the cooler, and I don’t think the smaller cooler would be able to keep up with my overclocked 9900K. Size wise, this case is very exciting as a windowed alternative to the A4-SFX.

CPU side:

GPU side:

XBox controller for scale:

Passive cooling isn’t really working out for me personally. I’m thinking to move back to a case which accommodates either a 240mm AIO, or a to another case that accommodates the new NH-U12A.

In the mean time, this is how I’m running my rig:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Update:
This may be the first time I built a PC around an air cooler. The release of the Noctua NH-U12A gave me an excuse to get a case that accommodates a 160mm tall cooler. This led me to pick Phanteks’ Metallic Gear Neo ITX for this build. Yes, this case is much larger than most SFF cases designed, discussed, and featured on this forum. I’ve even seen this case made fun of in the Space Inefficiency thread.

However, I still really like how it looks. And even though it’s similar in size to Fractal Design’s Nano S, by locating the PSU to the top, the Neo doesn’t choke the graphics card like the Nano does.

Here are some quick snaps:

I realized that I didn’t get a good picture of the fans below the graphics card. (I will later) Here are my parts:
  • i9-9900K
  • Noctua NH-U12A
  • Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX
  • 32gb VLP Crucial 2666 ram
  • EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum
  • Corsair Commander Pro

Cooling setup with the Corsair Commander Pro:
  • 2x Corsair ML140 fans behind front panel (on quiet mode, based on motherboard temperature)
  • 2x Noctua A12x15 fans below GPU, no real mounting holes, just secure using a few flat head fan screws m. This does prevent me from using the bottom filter though (default mode, based on GPU temps)
  • 1x Noctua A12x25 mounted on CPu heatsink (performance mode, based on CPU temps)
  • 1x Noctua A12x25 mounted on rear exhaust (performance mode, based on CPU temps)
Very brief tests:
  • 9900K overclocked to 5ghz all cores, -3AVX, 215 watts power limit, no time limit for boosts
  • RTX 2080 Ti no OC
  • Prime95 small FFT: CPU 89-90c
  • Furmark: GPU 68c
  • Gaming (120hz 3440x1440 on Division2): cpu 60s, gpu 70s
Overall impression... I love it. Air cooling and fan speeds can be further optimized. I may try opening up that plastic cover next to the motherboard and installing more intake fans as this case can be quite restrictive in terms of air flow. However, it is quiet and almost maintenance-free. I need to find some other way to secure the bottom fans, so that I can install the bottom filter.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nice @Nanook. Before I got my Ncase I was using a Phanteks Evolv itx, I have to say the Neo is a much nicer looking case. That Noctua NH-U12A looks like a keeper. :thumb:

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Nice @Nanook. Before I got my Ncase I was using a Phanteks Evolv itx, I have to say the Neo is a much nicer looking case. That Noctua NH-U12A looks like a keeper. :thumb:
Thanks! Another reason I like the Neo is the slightly narrower footprint compared the the Evolv ITX and the Nano S. Most reviewers complain about the lack of rear cable space in the Neo, but I prefer the slimmer width.

Reactions: rjeftw and fabio

rjeftw

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2019
@Nanook So much information in this thread! Thank you for all of your testing, this is quite the treasure trove.

Are you planning on snagging Sliger's 570/580 case for testing when it comes out, curious is all.