Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Was the Strix z390 heatsink/shroud hard to remove? I'm thinking about removing it so I can place another 92 mm fan. Alternatively I might switch over to the asrock board instead. How are you liking your asrock board compared to the previous strix?
The VRM heatsinks are very easy to remove. Just a few screws on the bottom. The main block is made out of three chunks covering the I/O components, but you should be able to remove all of them in a single sub-assembly. Just hang on to the thermal pads, in case you don’t have any on hand, and plan to reinstall the heatsinks.
I prefer the Strix BIOS / UEFI interface (maybe because I’m used to Strix. I’ve been using Z270i, Z370i, and Z390i). The RGB is also nicer one the Strix. The Asrock board is solid so far. I prefer that it is easier to reset with a push botton on the rear I/O, and the CMOS battery isn’t covered by the giant heatsink on the Strix Z390i.

Reactions: Desertf0x9

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I tried out HWinfo, but wasn’t sure what the motherboard VRM is labeled as. I found one temperature reading that said 78c, I assume that was the VRM, as my CPU was at 100c. (running Prime95, with unlimited power limit, and throttling).

Should be called VR VCC Temperature (SVID) or some variation of that as per the developer's notes (linked below)

https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-...ial-hwinfo-32-64-thread-191.html#post27763584

Could be that the ASrock BIOS already reports VRM temperatures - the Z370-i doesn't. I suppose you'll know if you see a temperature reading <100C in HWinfo with XTU showing VR throttling.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Should be called VR VCC Temperature (SVID) or some variation of that as per the developer's notes (linked below)

https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-...ial-hwinfo-32-64-thread-191.html#post27763584

Could be that the ASrock BIOS already reports VRM temperatures - the Z370-i doesn't. I suppose you'll know if you see a temperature reading <100C in HWinfo with XTU showing VR throttling.
Thanks! I’ll look for that label. I probably won’t go back to the Asus board in the near term. The 78c was the highest temperature other than the CPU temps.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Nanook.
I will try this option end of this week: C14S intake, another 140mm intake, 92mm exhaust, and the Seasonic SGX 650 Exhausting.

BTW, was ok to install your C14 with the ASrock VRM heatsink?

Next, if not happy, will be to switch to an U9S, vertical exhaust through top. 92 mm as intake, side 140mm as exhaust maybe?

(I will use a Streacom DA2 FYI)

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
@Nanook.
I will try this option end of this week: C14S intake, another 140mm intake, 92mm exhaust, and the Seasonic SGX 650 Exhausting.

Next, if not happy, will be to switch to an U9S, vertical exhaust through top. 92 mm as intake, side 140mm as exhaust maybe?

What is your GPU?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
@Nanook.

Yes, C14 fits on the Asrock motherboard!
So far so good in terms of thermals.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
NOCTUA has updated the TDP for the CPU cooler:

C14S: 205W
C14: 195W
U9S: 195W (But is not clear if with one or two fans)
Thanks! I’m assuming that the TDP numbers for all three SKUs are using two fans. I’m going to bump up my power limit to match those numbers. Based on my tests so far, Noctua’s new numbers are on point :)

Reactions: Rander and fabio

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks! I’m assuming that the TDP numbers for all three SKUs are using two fans. I’m going to bump up my power limit to match those numbers. Based on my tests so far, Noctua’s new numbers are on point :)
hmmm....I think those numbers are referring to using a single fan. My rationale is that Noctua supplies each cooler with a single fan as standard configuration. So, their TDP numbers correspond to this default setting.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
hmmm....I think those numbers are referring to using a single fan. My rationale is that Noctua supplies each cooler with a single fan as standard configuration. So, their TDP numbers correspond to this default setting.
Good point. However, the C14 comes with two fans stock, vs one fan for the C14S, or one for the U9S.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Good point. However, the C14 comes with two fans stock, vs one fan for the C14S, or one for the U9S.
Ah...Sorry...I was thinking more of the C14S and U9S and forgetting the now discontinued C14.
Anyway, those Noctua TDP numbers should correspond to their 'standard' configuration. So, 2 fans for C14 and 1 fan for C14S/U9S.
Now, IIRC, when Noctua first released the C14S, they advertised it as a replacement for C14 and they claimed the benefit is not only its asymmetry but also its single fan performance equaling dual fan configuration of the C14.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Ah...Sorry...I was thinking more of the C14S and U9S and forgetting the now discontinued C14.
Anyway, those Noctua TDP numbers should correspond to their 'standard' configuration. So, 2 fans for C14 and 1 fan for C14S/U9S.
Now, IIRC, when Noctua first released the C14S, they advertised it as a replacement for C14 and they claimed the benefit is not only its asymmetry but also its single fan performance equaling dual fan configuration of the C14.
I missed out on the phasing out of the C14, and the marketing of the C14S. Blind spot for me for some reason. Either way, that’s a pretty impressive marketing claim :)

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Played with some overclocking with a 240mm AIO (basic Thermaltake Water 3.0)

5.2 ghz all cores
4.7 ghz all cores AVX
vcore auto - up to 1.392v

No power limits
92c with Prime95 small FFT

4x A12x25 fans:
  • 2x for Side pull intake based on CPU temps
  • 2x for Bottom exhaust based on GPU temps, minimum 1000rpm

Reactions: fabio

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I might keep the 240mm AIO for a bit, I'll dial speeds back down to 5ghz (all cores), 1.344v, 215w power limit, -2 AVX offset.
Going to run a series of CPU renderings overnight. Workload hovers around 75c. (Prime95 small FFT will probably be 85c)

Reactions: fabio

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Those temps seem pretty good for the overclock and power limit you have set, might be a keeper.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Overnight CPU rendering batch turned out good. No crashes, overheating, etc.

Update for today...
Ran Prime95 small FFT and Heaven at the same time for thirty minutes. This isn't a realistic workload for my use case, but probably the worst case scenario. As a reminder, my air flow is designed to pull fresh air from the side vent through the radiator, hot air gets blown towards the motherboard, and expelled out the two bottom fans. I wanted to see if the VRM and graphics card gets overheated this way... I ran this for 30 minutes, and took some intermittent readings. Seems like the VRM maxes out at 99c, and graphics card stays at 64c. Like @rfarmer said above... this setup is a keeper :) Love the Ncase M1!

Screenshots below:

At about 5 minutes:

15 minutes:

30 minutes:

Last edited: