CPU cooling suggestions

litearc

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm about to build my first SFF PC, and wanted some feedback on cooling, particularly for the CPU. For the case, I'm deciding between the Dan A4, NCase M1, and Louqe Ghost S1 (without a top hat). For the CPU, I want either the 9700k or 9900k, but am not sure how well the cooling would work.

From what I've heard, the M1 has the best cooling potential, and I'm fairly sure it can handle the 9700k. But can it handle the 9900k if I use an AIO like the Kraken x52 or H100i Platinum?

For the Ghost S1 and Dan A4, I feel like the 9900k is out of the question. But can they handle the 9700k? The Ghost S1 seems be better for cooling since it can accomodate a 66 mm fan compared to only 48 mm for the Dan A4. I feel like the S1 may be ok with something like the Noctua NH-L12, but would the Dan A4 be ok with the Noctua NH-L9i (I feel like it may be on the edge)?

I am not planning on overclocking or delidding the CPU, and have a GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition. Thanks very much for your help!

litearc

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
That's really impressive. He's using the larger fans for the L12 cooler along with VLP memory, which doesn't have any good listings on Amazon. What's there is expensive and has no reviews. Thanks though - I'll be keeping an eye on the log.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
This very forum has a good thread on how to get (relatively) cheap VLP RAM. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/very-low-profile-ddr4-ram.9258/

This obsession with Amazon , I can't understand it any more. They decided to ruin their own reputation by co-mingling the inventories of all sellers of a single item (by UPC barcode) so if a single seller sends in fakes then all sellers will sell fakes. And no, good aftercare doesn't help if you don't recognize the fake.