Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

smallfartfactor

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2018
Moving this back the the M1 to better cool the GPU. Not really working so far. It’s still running at 80c. I have more work yet...

This is the nicest looking Ncase build I've ever seen. Is there any way to recreate this without VLP ram? Interested in an AMD system, very memory intensive. Cheers

Reactions: Nanook

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey man, how were your temps with the U9s? In my Streacom undervolting 20mv Under Prime I can have 92 degrees with an AVX offset of 3. One interesting thing I've seen, is I OC directly at 4.7Ghz, with an AVX of 0, the CPU are few degrees cooler???

I would like to try this H7 Ultra before to switch on water again, but I am so happy on air!

I was thinking to switch to the Ncase, but maybe I can wait till the V6.

Do you have any issue with your Accelero on the 2080? I was thinking to buy one for the Titan RTX!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hey man, how were your temps with the U9s? In my Streacom undervolting 20mv Under Prime I can have 92 degrees with an AVX offset of 3. One interesting thing I've seen, is I OC directly at 4.7Ghz, with an AVX of 0, the CPU are few degrees cooler???

I would like to try this H7 Ultra before to switch on water again, but I am so happy on air!

I was thinking to switch to the Ncase, but maybe I can wait till the V6.

Do you have any issue with your Accelero on the 2080? I was thinking to buy one for the Titan RTX!

I was mainly using power limits to test the cooling capability of the U9S. I tried 180w, and temps were about 88c, 215w resulted in 90s. Link

The M1 breathes a little easier. Other than the better vented panels, the two bottom fans in the M1 really helps to expel warm air. It’s a great case, and I have two V5s. My first v5 was all cut up from watercooling. I’m trying to keep the second one more prestine. :)

No issues with the Accelero. I actually have two of them. One mounted to my current 2080 FE, the other to my previous 1080. The biggest problem with both are the need for attaching small heatsinks to the vram, vrm, etc. the Accelero kits includes a small tube thermal glue, but I rather use removable thermal tape. The glue is permanent, and I prefer the tape giving me the flexibility to switch back to stock heatsink in the future. The thermal tape doesn’t stick very well, so the tiny heatsinks tend to fall out during assembly, or over time. For my 1080, I got a small bolt on vrm heatsink made by Gelid that is tailored for the 1080/1070 FE, and that is a much cleaner solution than taping small heatsinks. I didn’t put any heatsinks on the 1080 vram. I hope Gelid or someone else makes a vrm heatsink for the 2080 FE in the near future.

The Accelero fits just about any card, it needs to be mounted correctly to make proper contact with the gpu die. It should fit on a Titan, but man that would make me nervous with the pricey Titan!

Reactions: rfarmer

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I was mainly using power limits to test the cooling capability of the U9S. I tried 180w, and temps were about 88c, 215w resulted in 90s. Link

The M1 breathes a little easier. Other than the better vented panels, the two bottom fans in the M1 really helps to expel warm air. It’s a great case, and I have two V5s. My first v5 was all cut up from watercooling. I’m trying to keep the second one more prestine. :)

No issues with the Accelero. I actually have two of them. One mounted to my current 2080 FE, the other to my previous 1080. The biggest problem with both are the need for attaching small heatsinks to the vram, vrm, etc. the Accelero kits includes a small tube thermal glue, but I rather use removable thermal tape. The glue is permanent, and I prefer the tape giving me the flexibility to switch back to stock heatsink in the future. The thermal tape doesn’t stick very well, so the tiny heatsinks tend to fall out during assembly, or over time. For my 1080, I got a small bolt on vrm heatsink made by Gelid that is tailored for the 1080/1070 FE, and that is a much cleaner solution than taping small heatsinks. I didn’t put any heatsinks on the 1080 vram. I hope Gelid or someone else makes a vrm heatsink for the 2080 FE in the near future.

The Accelero fits just about any card, it needs to be mounted correctly to make proper contact with the gpu die. It should fit on a Titan, but man that would make me nervous with the pricey Titan!
Thanks! Yeah, I know, maybe for now I stay with the stock cooler. We'll see. So, your temps were at 5Ghz, with no AVX offset? 88 degrees are not bad at all!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Thanks! Yeah, I know, maybe for now I stay with the stock cooler. We'll see. So, your temps were at 5Ghz, with no AVX offset? 88 degrees are not bad at all!
I just realized I didn’t fully answer your questions: 180w power limit, no adjustments to AVX, voltage and cpu speed are left to stock, the Cores would be around 4.6ghz. 88c

215w power limit, same stock settings, brings the cpu to 4.7-4.8, but 92c.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I just realized I didn’t fully answer your questions: 180w power limit, no adjustments to AVX, voltage and cpu speed are left to stock, the Cores would be around 4.6ghz. 88c

215w power limit, same stock settings, brings the cpu to 4.7-4.8, but 92c.
Cool! Well, they seem in line with mine actually, so they are normal. Thanks a lot!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hi Nanook,

was is your prefered conf in the M1. C14S or 240 AIO?

Hi Dondan! If you want the short version... for my 9900K, 240 AIO with vented side panel for best cooling. When radiator fans are set to intake, combined with the bottom exhaust fans, this setup gave me the best cooling. Almost neutral pressure. From my experience, even better than any well vented ATX case.

Long version is that I prefer air-cooling. I also love the windowed panel showing off the giant C14S fin stack. However, the TG will limit fresh air intake, and the case interior temps will raise over time. These days, I’m playing around with a three monitor setup (ancient 24” 1920x1200, 27” 1440p 165hz, and 21” 1600x1200 Cintiq) This means my case is sitting behind one of the side monitors, so the vented cover is fine for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis and fabio

Arctic_Cephalopod

Case Bender
Feb 11, 2019
Nanook, thank you for taking the time to document your builds. I have a Ghost (second production with three top hats) arriving 'shortly'. I am debating between building the Ghost or pivoting to a M1 as I'd like to go with air cooling.

I have a 9900K (no plans OC due to limited thermals) and my use case is gaming and workstation workloads. I'm not going to be running sustained, 16 thread, rendering and encoding workloads. I'm looking for 5.0GHz interactive peaks, but have no delusions of grandeur of being able to air cool 'all cores' in the mid to high fours.

I've read the full thread and if you were to do it again, any new suggestions on getting the maximum performance from an air cooled Ghost?

Or, should I double down and order a M1, a C14S and consider cutting a slot for an odd (anyone have a top with the odd slot they're willing to part with %; ).

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Nanook, thank you for taking the time to document your builds. I have a Ghost (second production with three top hats) arriving 'shortly'. I am debating between building the Ghost or pivoting to a M1 as I'd like to go with air cooling.

I have a 9900K (no plans OC due to limited thermals) and my use case is gaming and workstation workloads. I'm not going to be running sustained, 16 thread, rendering and encoding workloads. I'm looking for 5.0GHz interactive peaks, but have no delusions of grandeur of being able to air cool 'all cores' in the mid to high fours.

I've read the full thread and if you were to do it again, any new suggestions on getting the maximum performance from an air cooled Ghost?

Or, should I double down and order a M1, a C14S and consider cutting a slot for an odd (anyone have a top with the odd slot they're willing to part with %; ).
Based on your specifics on your use-case, and also the fact that you already purchased the Ghost S1 (yes, waiting is hard), I’d recommend sticking with the the Ghost. If you’re air-cooling the 9900k (limited at 95w), the L12 with 92mm fan works decently well. In my scenario, I moved to the M1 to use the Accelero with the 2080 FE to cool better. If I let the 2080 stay entirely stock, it doesn’t spin up it’s fans, and limits boost. Adjusting fan curves cools the card, but they do get loud. What graphics card are you looking to run?

In terms of ODD for the M1, that’s entirely up to you whether you want to try to find a ODD top panel. My reco is to go with what you’ve already purchased :)

Arctic_Cephalopod

Case Bender
Feb 11, 2019
Based on your specifics on your use-case, and also the fact that you already purchased the Ghost S1 (yes, waiting is hard), I’d recommend sticking with the the Ghost. If you’re air-cooling the 9900k (limited at 95w), the L12 with 92mm fan works decently well. In my scenario, I moved to the M1 to use the Accelero with the 2080 FE to cool better. If I let the 2080 stay entirely stock, it doesn’t spin up it’s fans, and limits boost. Adjusting fan curves cools the card, but they do get loud. What graphics card are you looking to run?

In terms of ODD for the M1, that’s entirely up to you whether you want to try to find a ODD top panel. My reco is to go with what you’ve already purchased :)

Thanks. I have a Quadro I'm moving forward from my workstation. I plan to acquire a RTX as soon as there's a need (and / or ray tracing takes off). If I had to buy today, I'd pick up a RTX 2080 Ti or better.

I'll pick up a L12. What maximum power consumption do you think I can get away with using only the bottom fan? 130w? 150w?

Any thoughts on bending / force fitting a L12S? I almost want to use my friend's CNC mill to cut an appropriate opening and let the L12S stick out the ~4mm. I'd have to paint it back and, of course, there's the issue of the case sides sliding in vs popping on from the side, making assembly troublesome... Dare to dream.

Still happy with the Z390 Phantom?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks. I have a Quadro I'm moving forward from my workstation. I plan to acquire a RTX as soon as there's a need (and / or ray tracing takes off). If I had to buy today, I'd pick up a RTX 2080 Ti or better.

I'll pick up a L12. What maximum power consumption do you think I can get away with using only the bottom fan? 130w? 150w?

Any thoughts on bending / force fitting a L12S? I almost want to use my friend's CNC mill to cut an appropriate opening and let the L12S stick out the ~4mm. I'd have to paint it back and, of course, there's the issue of the case sides sliding in vs popping on from the side, making assembly troublesome... Dare to dream.

Still happy with the Z390 Phantom?

Another thing to consider. Couldn't find his post but there was a guy on [H]ard that took a belt sander and shaved off 4mm of the L12S heatsink. He did thermal testing before and after and didn't see any performance degradation.