Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
@Nanook I love the look of this massive heatsink build. Is this the Noctua C14?
It’s the C14S. In addition to @VegetableStu comments on asymmetry, the C14S allows a 25mm thick A9 fan on the M1 back fan mount. The C14 only allows the A9x14 to mount on the back. The C14S also sits further away from the motherboard, limiting to 15mm thick fans over the fin stack instead of a regular 25mm fan. I went with the glass window instead, and found that If I were to only use one fan underneath the fin stack, the C14S is slightly better.

I switched back to VLP ram, and I think it helps CPU cooling in this setup

A note about the VRM cooling in the Asus Z390i... with all the motherboard heatsinks removed, the motherboard will throttle when overclocking. The C14S allows me to set two fans to cool the motherboard — 140mm fan blowing away from motherboard, the rear 92mm fan supplying cool air from rear.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Moving this back the the M1 to better cool the GPU. Not really working so far. It’s still running at 80c. I have more work yet...
That's what i call a clean setup..:)
I just discovered your topic today, so I'm late..;) But I've read everything...you are a true pathfinder to try hard on both M1 and S1...and finally getting back to M1 on customed aircooling..:)
On Loque S1, the only way to cool in an efficient way your setup will be to use full watercooling like jays2cents. (Apogee drive II as heart of the system + dual 240 radiators)

Now I'm eager to see your next build...I'm betting this one will last....only a couple of weeks, time for you to fall in love with another case..:D

Reactions: rfarmer and Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
That's what i call a clean setup..:)
I just discovered your topic today, so I'm late..;) But I've read everything...you are a true pathfinder to try hard on both M1 and S1...and finally getting back to M1 on customed aircooling..:)
On Loque S1, the only way to cool in an efficient way your setup will be to use full watercooling like jays2cents. (Apogee drive II as heart of the system + dual 240 radiators)

Now I'm eager to see your next build...I'm betting this one will last....only a couple of weeks, time for you to fall in love with another case..:D
It’s like you guys know me...

Reactions: fabio and MarcParis

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Added top and bottom A12x15mm slim fans. Four total. Bottom intake. Top exhaust.

I really like the balanced look.

To be honest, adding the four slim fans did not change too much in terms of temperature. CPU still locked at 150watts power limit. During Turbo Boost (210watts), I extended boost time window (PL1) to 96 seconds, and took some temperature readings at three levels: Intel stock 95w, 150w, and 210w.

9900K, MCE on, running Prime95 small FFT, all fans at 100%
  • 210w power limit (4.5ghz)— 89c
  • 150w power limit (4.3ghz)— 78c
  • 95w power limit (3.6ghz) — 65c, not sure why it’s higher than with top hats.
RTX 2080 FE running Heaven (default extreme), GPU fans at 70% — 64c

I'll try out the 25mm thick fans with M tophats tomorrow.

Maybe is a not great 9900k? Mine is not “a gold sample” but it can stay at 4.6ghz under a single 120 rad of 25mm, a Sterrox, MCE enabled, not power limit, at 95 degrees after 1 hour.
Undervolted of 50mv, stay under 89.
AND, is a right fit in the Dan Case With am HDplex!

EDIT: sorry, your temp are with the L12, so super ok!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
It’s the C14S. In addition to @VegetableStu comments on asymmetry, the C14S allows a 25mm thick A9 fan on the M1 back fan mount. The C14 only allows the A9x14 to mount on the back. The C14S also sits further away from the motherboard, limiting to 15mm thick fans over the fin stack instead of a regular 25mm fan. I went with the glass window instead, and found that If I were to only use one fan underneath the fin stack, the C14S is slightly better.

I switched back to VLP ram, and I think it helps CPU cooling in this setup

A note about the VRM cooling in the Asus Z390i... with all the motherboard heatsinks removed, the motherboard will throttle when overclocking. The C14S allows me to set two fans to cool the motherboard — 140mm fan blowing away from motherboard, the rear 92mm fan supplying cool air from rear.
Amazing build! I am planning my next one and the setup will be kinda similar! Are you using the 140mm under the CPU? Have you tried a Sterrox with the adapter, instead?

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Amazing build! I am planning my next one and the setup will be kinda similar! Are you using the 140mm under the CPU? Have you tried a Sterrox with the adapter, instead?
Thanks! Yes I am using the stock 140mm fan that came with the C14S. I haven’t tried the A12x25 with the C14S, but I have tried the A12x25 when I tested with the C14, and it functioned as well as the 140mm fan. I think the A12x25 is actually more quiet.

As a side note, I ordered the Noctua140mm 3000rpm industrial fan to try under the C14S. I’ll report back on whether that’s any different in performance, or just crazy loud (40+dB) :)

Reactions: readeh and fabio

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Here’s the 3000rpm fan:

Installed:

Not real difference in cooling performance, to be honest. Just louder at the higher rpms, I just have to run it at lower PWM % for about the same RPM as the stock 140mm fan. I prefer the stealthy black behind the fin stack anyways.

Maybe 3000rpm bottom exhaust fans would help more?

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
I would have thought the Accelero III would have been able to cool that better. Gives you an idea of how difficult it is to cool the RTX cards and why so many vendors are using massive cooling solutions.
It's very dependent on the individual card. My second 2080ti XC(not ultra) doesn't go higher than 68c and barely any noise at full load, while my first 2080ti would scream and the fans would fill the whole room with noise at load while burning hot.

Last edited:

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
Here’s the 3000rpm fan:

Installed:

Not real difference in cooling performance, to be honest. Just louder at the higher rpms, I just have to run it at lower PWM % for about the same RPM as the stock 140mm fan. I prefer the stealthy black behind the fin stack anyways.

Maybe 3000rpm bottom exhaust fans would help more?
Have you looked at your cpu IHS to see if it's completely flat? Sometimes these things just need to get lapped.
Voids warranty, but you can't mess it up really.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
What do you suggest for the Ncase for cooling? Intake from the C14 and exhaust from the back or the opposite?
Do you think a second fan nearby the heatsink on the side bracket could help?

Thanks a lot man! I will build a Streacom DA2, the layout is similar!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Have you looked at your cpu IHS to see if it's completely flat? Sometimes these things just need to get lapped.
Voids warranty, but you can't mess it up really.

Interesting thought. I am happy with the temps so far.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
What do you suggest for the Ncase for cooling? Intake from the C14 and exhaust from the back or the opposite?
Do you think a second fan nearby the heatsink on the side bracket could help?

Thanks a lot man! I will build a Streacom DA2, the layout is similar!

For best results for the C14: When I was using the vented side panel on my M1, I’d mount two 120mm fans on the fan bracket, and pull cool air from the outside. If you rather mount a second 140mm fan to the “top” of the fin stack, you’d get similar performance as two 120mm fans. The fan “under” the fin stack isn’t as critical. I’d put a Noctua A9x14 on the rear for exhaust. For best results (big air), the bottom fans should be for exhaust.

For C14S, the side fans will be two slim 15mm fans. The rear fan can be the regular 92mm intake. Same bottom exhaust.

Personally, I gimp my cooling with a glass window. If done right, the windowed setup is only worse by 5c. Every time I revert back the M1 air cooling, j would start with bottom exhaust. But I really dislike exhaust bouncing off my desk surface, and hitting me. I’d switch back to bottom intake, and rear exhaust. The gpu runs cooler, and cpu temperatures will be higher by about 5-8c.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
For best results for the C14: When I was using the vented side panel on my M1, I’d mount two 120mm fans on the fan bracket, and pull cool air from the outside. If you rather mount a second 140mm fan to the “top” of the fin stack, you’d get similar performance as two 120mm fans. The fan “under” the fin stack isn’t as critical. I’d put a Noctua A9x14 on the rear for exhaust. For best results (big air), the bottom fans should be for exhaust.

For C14S, the side fans will be two slim 15mm fans. The rear fan can be the regular 92mm intake. Same bottom exhaust.

Personally, I gimp my cooling with a glass window. If done right, the windowed setup is only worse by 5c. Every time I revert back the M1 air cooling, j would start with bottom exhaust. But I really dislike exhaust bouncing off my desk surface, and hitting me. I’d switch back to bottom intake, and rear exhaust. The gpu runs cooler, and cpu temperatures will be higher by about 5-8c.
Thanks a lot man! In the Streacom I can use the C14 setup but with the C14s, because is a bit wider than the M1.
BTW, did you try as well the U9s? I don’t know which one of the two can be better for the 9900k.

The C14s seems to be a better cooler, but Noctua suggest to limit the cpu to 190W. Instead for the U9s they just say to add the second fan...

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Thanks a lot man! In the Streacom I can use the C14 setup but with the C14s, because is a bit wider than the M1.
BTW, did you try as well the U9s? I don’t know which one of the two can be better for the 9900k.

The C14s seems to be a better cooler, but Noctua suggest to limit the cpu to 190W. Instead for the U9s they just say to add the second fan...
I have the U9S with two fans as well. It works well, and feels a lot less crowded in the M1. Yes, for some reason, the U9S with two fans seem to handle higher wattage. For me, I like the look of the massive C14S fin stack :)

Reactions: rfarmer