Meanwell PSU Accessories

What are you interested in?

• Total voters

buLL

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2017
Laser cut acrylic is a good idea. The issue is starting at what features to design for, and what feature to through away.

SO Let's start at the EPP-200.

I'm thinking of the following features:
- Enclosed on 5 sides, bottom side of PSU is left for mounting to chassis.
- Mount points for a 40mm fan
- Ventilations
- Large slots for wires to come out of.

Unfortunately the acrylic is 3mm thick so it'll add a decent bit of size. I'll try to make it where you can choose which panels to put on.

Maybe 1,5mm or 2mm acrylic would work for such a small enclosure? I'm not sure.

And beside the features you said, I think you should also consider putting a C6 or C8 plug inside the enclosure, so that the whole enclosure can be mounted directly on the back of the case.

Reactions: CC Ricers

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Also fun fact about the 200W Meanwell, it should technically fit inside the front of the S4 mini with an EVGA 1060 SC with 1-2mm to spare. o_O

Reactions: janas19

buLL

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2017

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I didn't look for anything of lower wattage to be honest as I'm mostly interested in a more powerful machine. That being said, I have purchased the 250W AC-DC solution above in the 24V variant and will be making a full aluminum enclosure with 50mm x 10mm fan. If everything works out I am hoping to have the entire device come in around 104mm x 53mm x 44mm (0.24L). Compared to the HDPlex 160W at 131mm x 52mm x 40mm this is about (0.27) 10% smaller while pushing about 60% more power.

Everything needed minus the fan header was available on Digi-key and all in shipped to my door will cost about 155 Canadian (115 USD). The fan header is made by a company called CviLux out of Taiwan (Housing Part #CI0102S0000, Pin Part #CI01T01MPP0). If anyone has the slightest idea of where to get this part please let me know, because I spent about an hour looking and the closest I got was a terrible site in Bulgaria. No idea why a manufacturer would chose such an obscure header. I'll probably just solder the fan straight to the header to save myself trouble once I have it.

Planning to have the six output pins go to a 6 pin molex connector (Dynamo compatible) and ideally would like to reused the C7 polar power in I used on my Orangulan build.

Also worth mentioning is if I get the enclosure made, I would be happy to do them as cut sheets on my CNC for community members (you'll need to finish them yourselves). I'm not trying to undercut TheHack or anything either, I just have an 8" x 8" x 3" desktop CNC that should do this job very easily.

buLL

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2017
I didn't look for anything of lower wattage to be honest as I'm mostly interested in a more powerful machine. That being said, I have purchased the 250W AC-DC solution above in the 24V variant and will be making a full aluminum enclosure with 50mm x 10mm fan. If everything works out I am hoping to have the entire device come in around 104mm x 53mm x 44mm (0.24L). Compared to the HDPlex 160W at 131mm x 52mm x 40mm this is about (0.27) 10% smaller while pushing about 60% more power.

Everything needed minus the fan header was available on Digi-key and all in shipped to my door will cost about 155 Canadian (115 USD). The fan header is made by a company called CviLux out of Taiwan (Housing Part #CI0102S0000, Pin Part #CI01T01MPP0). If anyone has the slightest idea of where to get this part please let me know, because I spent about an hour looking and the closest I got was a terrible site in Bulgaria. No idea why a manufacturer would chose such an obscure header. I'll probably just solder the fan straight to the header to save myself trouble once I have it.

Planning to have the six output pins go to a 6 pin molex connector (Dynamo compatible) and ideally would like to reused the C7 polar power in I used on my Orangulan build.

Also worth mentioning is if I get the enclosure made, I would be happy to do them as cut sheets on my CNC for community members (you'll need to finish them yourselves). I'm not trying to undercut TheHack or anything either, I just have an 8" x 8" x 3" desktop CNC that should do this job very easily.

Very cool bro. Good luck with your project, and thanks for the answer :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

There is no undercutting here. All my designs will end up being open sourced anyways.

At 8x8x3, i think you can also make a jig to help make the bends. What CNC do you have?

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
Dooo eet! You could be the first one on here to use a Meanwell unit inside of the S4 as opposed to outside of it. It should fit perfectly well, if the builds with HD-Plex 250W are any indication.

YESS! I think I could manage that (although time frame is still a mystery :\) . I have a Zotac 1050ti and should have plenty of space left in front of the GPU. However, things will get tricky if I want to upgrade to a beefier gpu like the 1070/1080 mini in the future. Although, I could stick the meanwell unit in an enclosure and use it as a powerbrick ...

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've been talking the TheHack in tells and we've obviously got slightly different ideas about which "form factor" would work best for this project. Since the 4" x 2" looks to be an industry standard, I was thinking it might be worth us collectively figuring out a "standard" enclosure form factor for this type of AC-DC converter. If we can do this successfully, then perhaps we can have a workable set of measurements for both case builders and AC-DC manufacturers to use going forward.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I would actually prefer the enclosures to be made of steel rather than acrylic, because in our applications we will probably be fitting them in very tight spaces. You could get the wall thickness down to just under 1mm for common steel PSU enclosures and still have it remain strong. As a bonus, steel enclosures would make the accessory look "stock".

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Here's a nice looking enclosure from Artesyn that goes with the 250 AC-DC I bought. Might be a good source for design inspiration.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/633/lpx100_ds_11-7-14_1442371911-1085722.pdf

Not to derail the product, but it might also be worth it to buy a batch of these instead of fabricating our own. It only costs like 15 bucks Canadian (11 USD) and is completely suited to the purpose. The only reason I mention this is liability. If we're just screwing fans to this thing and something goes wrong for someone then the liability isn't on any one of us, but a large corporation instead. Just sayin'

I've ordered one of these enclosures as well as a pair of 50mm x 50mm x 10mm and 40mm x 40mm x 10mm fans to try out with this enclosure. I am hoping a bit of good double sided tape to mount the fans might do the trick.

buLL

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2017
Here's a nice looking enclosure from Artesyn that goes with the 250 AC-DC I bought. Might be a good source for design inspiration.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/633/lpx100_ds_11-7-14_1442371911-1085722.pdf

Not to derail the product, but it might also be worth it to buy a batch of these instead of fabricating our own. It only costs like 15 bucks Canadian (11 USD) and is completely suited to the purpose. The only reason I mention this is liability. If we're just screwing fans to this thing and something goes wrong for someone then the liability isn't on any one of us, but a large corporation instead. Just sayin'

I've ordered one of these enclosures as well as a pair of 50mm x 50mm x 10mm and 40mm x 40mm x 10mm fans to try out with this enclosure. I am hoping a bit of good double sided tape to mount the fans might do the trick.

This enclosures looks good, but I think it's too big. 119 x 74.8 x 4.3cm? Almost the size of FlexATX, for a PSU that is only 10 x 5 x 3cm... The ideal would be making a custom small enclosure for the EPP200, but if its not possible, sure, this may be a good alternative.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I guess I should read spec more carefully lol. I just assumed looking at it that it was bit tighter fitting than it is.

Edit: Successfully cancelled order. Thanks @buLL

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc and buLL
Mar 6, 2017
I've been talking the TheHack in tells and we've obviously got slightly different ideas about which "form factor" would work best for this project. Since the 4" x 2" looks to be an industry standard, I was thinking it might be worth us collectively figuring out a "standard" enclosure form factor for this type of AC-DC converter. If we can do this successfully, then perhaps we can have a workable set of measurements for both case builders and AC-DC manufacturers to use going forward.

Yes!! I'd love to see a standard for things this small arise! But I think we should use metric, because if we use imperial there is too much tolerance in an inch. A 2x4" brick could in reality be anywhere between 1.5x3.5" and 2.5x4.5". Regardless, it's a wonderful idea!