Looking for case advice for this gpu

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys,

Im building a pc for my girlfriend. so far ive managed to get a r9 fury, and an e3 1270 v1. Got excellent deals on both.
And the passmark scores for the e3 1270 v1 seemed acceptable to gaming. Nothing in this rig will be overclocked.

Anywho, I havent bought the motherboard yet, because Im trying to figure out what case and form factor Im going for.
I spoke with her about what kinds of cases she liked, and she seems to lean towards things like the fractal node 202. Correct me if im wrong, but the dimensions arent looking great for the r9 fury sapphire fitting in there, and pcpartpickker confirmed this for me. Also since the logic supply mc600 is smaller than the node 202, its not looking good for that either.

She also does not like the cube cases. And doesnt like full towers. IF push comes to shove ill just tell her to deal with it, however, id like to try and find the smallest possible, non cube case that this gpu would fit in, with acceptable ventilation.

Im doing my own research ofcourse, but I wanted to ask you guys if there was anything you would recommend for this rig. Just for fun.

Anywho, thanks in advance for your suggestions

Last edited:

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
Depending on whether you have the NITRO or the Tri-X, it should fit in the Dr. Zaber Sentry. The node 202 supports GPU up to 310mm in length so either GPU should fit in that.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Depending on whether you have the NITRO or the Tri-X, it should fit in the Dr. Zaber Sentry. The node 202 supports GPU up to 310mm in length so either GPU should fit in that.
I believe its the nitro. Stats say its a 308mm dual slot card.
And thank you for the clarification. My fault for going off of what pcpartpicker did and didnt list. Do you think the 202 would provide enough ventilation for this card?

I would love to buy a Zaber case but theyre not currently for sale and im doing this rig now.

Last edited:

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
I believe its the nitro. Stats say its a 308mm dual slot card.
And thank you for the clarification. My fault for going off of what pcpartpicker did and didnt list. Do you think the 202 would provide enough ventilation for this card?

Looking at some reviews, the node 202 is quite a warm case. With that said though, at stock speeds, pretty much any GPU can keep themselves cool, it's just a matter of fan speed.

I would love to buy a Zaber case but theyre not currently for sale and im doing this rig now.

The nitro doesn't fit anyway.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Looking at some reviews, the node 202 is quite a warm case. With that said though, at stock speeds, pretty much any GPU can keep themselves cool, it's just a matter of fan speed.

The nitro doesn't fit anyway.
ok thanks for the advice, i think ill just go ahead and get the node 202. Like I said, i checked pcpartpicker for compatibility and it said it wasnt compatible but should be fine if the measurements line up.

If i wanted to underclock a bit to keep the fan from sounding like a leaf blower in that case how low should I underclock it? IF that becomes an issue

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
ok thanks for the advice, i think ill just go ahead and get the node 202. Like I said, i checked pcpartpicker for compatibility and it said it wasnt compatible but should be fine if the measurements line up.

If i wanted to underclock a bit to keep the fan from sounding like a leaf blower in that case how low should I underclock it? IF that becomes an issue

I don't have the node 202, so it's hard for me to say. I do have an RVZ01 though, which has a similar layout. I have a Gigabyte GTX 970 g1 gaming. If I limit my fan speed to about 55%, it can maintain stock clocks at 84 °C and it's pretty quiet. If I choose a more aggressive fan curve, it will happily boost up to 1480 MHz (still at stock voltage), but the 90% fan speed really ruins the gaming experience for me, so I use the aforementioned fan speed of 55% instead.

If you're going to get the node 202 I would definitely recommend getting two intake case fans for the GPU, they help a lot, my GPU reaches 67°C at stock at 100% fan speed with a single case fan. It reaches 84°C (temp limit) when I taped off the case fan. I haven't tested two fans. There's probably some diminishing returns, but I think it'd still be worth it.