Custom loop question.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys, got a question for you. Im building a rig for my girlfriend and she decided on this case. I admit i never knew there was a mini version of the fortress, and its pretty nice looking imo, might do my next build in one. But anyway, im doing a rig for her,, and id like to watercool the gpu and cpu. Itll be an r9 nano, and an e3 1270 v1 (around 80 tdp). I was simply going to do a custom loop for the gpu and get a nice waterblock for it, and try to figure out how to fit an AIO for the cpu in there somewhere. However, ive since decided that id like to do a full custom loop for this rig. I do not plan to overclock anything, I just want to get the coolest temps for the components in the case for longevity, no throttling, and a nice side benefit would be the lack of noise. Im aware that one thin rad wont cover the two components. So im considering grabbing this rad http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...r_-_80mm_Thick.html?tl=g30c95s929&id=t3y6VwhL
and put it in a push pull configuration with high static 140mm fans.

What im wondering is: If i remove the HDD cage, will this rad, and a pull fan fit? Also, do you guys think this rad will be enough to support a non OCed r9 nano and an e3 1270 v2 (around 80 tdp), and keep things cooler than they need to be, under load?

any suggestions are appreciated.

edit:
Ok. So weve established the 140mm wont wont. How about this one
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...onsta_Single_120mm_Radiator_-_80mm_Thick.html

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
there are 120mm bolt holes for a rad in the bottom of the case. im holding one in a closed loop down there atm. i think push pull would fit if you removed the 2.5" HDD cage on the back of the optical sled (leaving the other one elsewhere in place). if you dont plan on using the slim optical sled then pulling that out too may give you a little more room.

Edit: you could potentially fit a pump/res mounted on one of those radiator mount brackets but would likely need to use something smaller than an SFX PSU or maybe use a very short pump/res and do some neat custom wiring.

Edit 2: the fan cutout and fan mount points down there for a 140mm so if your going push pull w/ a 120 using the 120mm mounting points provided then it might be worth making a blanking panel or some sort to seal off the rest off the cutout

Last edited:

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
there are 120mm bolt holes for a rad in the bottom of the case. im holding one in a closed loop down there atm. i think push pull would fit if you removed the 2.5" HDD cage on the back of the optical sled (leaving the other one elsewhere in place). if you dont plan on using the slim optical sled then pulling that out too may give you a little more room.

Edit: you could potentially fit a pump/res mounted on one of those radiator mount brackets but would likely need to use something smaller than an SFX PSU or maybe use a very short pump/res and do some neat custom wiring.

Edit 2: the fan cutout and fan mount points down there for a 140mm so if your going push pull w/ a 120 using the 120mm mounting points provided then it might be worth making a blanking panel or some sort to seal off the rest off the cutout
im pretty sure the rad i linked is a 140mm rad? Im confused as to where the 120mm is coming in to play here, sorry
Just so you know, a thinner rad with 2 fans (push+pull) can dissipate more heat than a thicker rad with just one fan, given the same fan speed.

Check out the calculator here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1457426/radiator-size-estimator/0_50
yep im aware, which is why i said push pull, and thanks for the link

Reactions: Biowarejak

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
the fan mount in the bottom is 140 mm, there are also 120mm mount points in the bottom. throwing a 140mm in there may well cause fitment issues w/ the end tanks on the rad & iirc the front pannel. hence the 120 mounts from the factory, offset to leave some space at one end

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
the fan mount in the bottom is 140 mm, there are also 120mm mount points in the bottom. throwing a 140mm in there may well cause fitment issues w/ the end tanks on the rad & iirc the front pannel. hence the 120 mounts from the factory, offset to leave some space at one end
Ok. Linus uses a 140mm radiator in this video, unless he screwed up his wording ( which has happened before). EDIT: He screwed up his wording. nvm

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
doesnt he explicitly mention this exact thing about using a 120 rad and a 140 fan w/ it in that video and sing the praises of the air perpetrator fan in the process. Its been a long time since ive watched it and i dont really want to rewatch it, its long, just to double check but i seem to remember this video as being where i learnt about it.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
doesnt he explicitly mention this exact thing about using a 120 rad and a 140 fan w/ it in that video and sing the praises of the air perpetrator fan in the process. Its been a long time since ive watched it and i dont really want to rewatch it, its long, just to double check but i seem to remember this video as being where i learnt about it.
yea i edited my response. Also i put in a timestamp to where he mentions it. Problem is , i heard him say 140mm rad,a nd 140 fan, and then paused the video lol. RIGHT after i paused the video he corrected himself.

Ok. So weve established the 140mm wont wont. How about this one
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...onsta_Single_120mm_Radiator_-_80mm_Thick.html

would this have the capacity to cool an e3 1270 v1 @ 80 tdp. and an r9 nano non oced @ 175 tdp ? OR am I asking too much of that small of a rad?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
yep im aware, which is why i said push pull, and thanks for the link

I'm sorry I misread your post. I thought you said thick rad or push pull.

But you can still use the calculator to find out how many watts the setup can dissipate.