Need some advice on my first sff build

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
So my wife's laptop is dying. And we have been considering doing a sff build for her next computer instead of another laptop. Her uses for the computer are email, web browsing, word processing, and photo editing with Photoshop Elements. Nice thing about Elements is it does not use GPU acceleration like the full blown Photoshop Premier will. So I was thinking we could get by with either a i5 8400 or a Ryzen 2400G and no GPU. I've been looking at the inWin Chopin case. I like the looks of it, it's nice and small so she could take with to some conventions that she goes to 2 or 3 times a year, and it's fairly inexpensive.

Just wondering what some other cases that are in that price point that we should be looking at. I'm new to sff builds and so I'm not really sure what all is out there. Also what are your guys thoughts on the 2400G? I'm leaning that way as opposed to the 8400 but I'm not sure yet at this point.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
At that price point, you could a have look at the Realan cases. I am not sure which model though. I'll have to have a look at their updated lineup. Maybe someone'll chime in in the meantime.

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
Another user posted a similar thread recently with the intention of upgrading to a similar performance spec. Here's a link to my response. I believe the DeskMini A300 to be the best solution at the price point/size/performance you'll be shooting for. The linked post will explain all you need to know if you're interested in taking that direction.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
Also what are your guys thoughts on the 2400G? I'm leaning that way as opposed to the 8400 but I'm not sure yet at this point.

I am currently using a 2400g, was using it standalone for a while before I picked up a GPU. If you're mostly web browsing and doing photoshop it'll be great: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-zen-vega-cpu-gpu,5467-9.html
You might even be able to step down to the 2200g if you don't need the better GPU.

I had my 2400g in the InWin Chopin, great little case for the price considering you get a (brickless) power supply that can handle an overclock on the 2400g. I still have my Chopin I'm selling if you're interested. I moved to a Skyreach 4 Mini when I bought my GPU.

EDIT: And considering the price difference between the 2400g and the 8400, the 2400g would be my choice.

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
Another user posted a similar thread recently with the intention of upgrading to a similar performance spec. Here's a link to my response. I believe the DeskMini A300 to be the best solution at the price point/size/performance you'll be shooting for. The linked post will explain all you need to know if you're interested in taking that direction.

I looked at your response, and the review for the A300 on the front page. It looks pretty interesting! I might have to take a closer look at that and see if that’s something she would be interested in. I like that it can mount to the back of the monitor with the Vesa mounting system.

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
LeChuck81, it seems the 9400, which is the successor to the 8400 is cheaper than the 8400. It can be picked up for 158 right now. Only 20 bucks or so more than the 2400G. It would be a significantly more powerful processor and a weaker iGPU than the 2400G. Not sure what the best option is right now. For the 2400G I was looking at the ASRock B450 Gaming ITX board and the Intel I was looking at the ASRock H310M ITX board.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
As for motherboards I have the ASRock b450 and can give it a thumbs up. Not sure how good the VRMs are, and since you're looking into an APU build I would definitely research that if you want to overclock down the road.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Here in Italy, the two motherboards differ around 30 bucks in favor of the Intel's, so this would leverage the total price even more.
Are you aiming at a case with some room for a GPU? If so, I'd go for the Intel and would add a discrete GPU should the need arise.
Also, if you plan for this solution, consider how much power you'll eventually need for the whole system, GPU included, and if there's a way to provide that power.
For example, for a project of mine, I was considering the Streacom FC8 Evo but discarded it because I couldn't find a solution to provide enough power for the whole system.
I use this site to evaluate my PSU needs, mostly because it was the first I got with a Google search but feel free to try other ones and compare the results. Actually, if you find a better one, gimme a call. ?

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
She doesn’t do anything that requires big graphics power. And I don’t see her doing anything down the road that would either. She hates video games so she will never get into gaming. So I was leaning towards smaller cases that don’t have room for a GPU. That way it would make it more portable for the few times a year she does need to take it somewhere with her.

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
Ah. I just took a closer look at the 9400F. Does not have integrated graphics! That changes things a bit. :)

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
If all the iGPU's power needed is "as long as it turns up" I'd value two things. In order of matter:
- Total cost CPU+MoBo
- Performance

Given that, whatever you end up with, it will probably be overpowered (I assume that, if photo editing is done in Elements instead of Premier, they are not big loads), I'd go with whatever costs less.

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
No. Elements is not very intensive at all. I think she would be more than happy with a 2400G and a good SSD. The Asrock B450 motherboard and a Noctua cooler would give me a little bit of overhead too if I did need to overclock it at all.

I think that's probably the direction i will go as it's cheaper than the 8400.

Does anyone have any other case recommendations besides the Asrock Deskmini or Inwin Chopin? I'm willing to spend a little bit more than 100 but I don't want to go overboard. I would say I need to keep it under 200 dollars for the case.

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
J-Hack Pure or a Custmod case( custmod.com ), power supply options are limited though.

And @hahler2 I went to get my Chopin to take a picture for you, turns out my roomate is using it for a build at the moment lol

hahler2

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 6, 2019
Hey no worries! I’ll check out those other two you recommended but I’m really leaning towards the Chopin right now. I haven’t heard anyone say anything bad about them.