Sffpc build recommendation for light to medium rendering jobs

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
^ Agreed with above recommendation for Ryzen calculator. Also Buildzoid (Actually Hardware Overclocking) did a video recently with a bunch of subtimings suggestions that worked well for me. Got my 2 x 16GB running at 3733Mhz 15-15-15-34 (didn't realize "gear down" had to be disabled to use the odd CAS subtiming, which this variant of B-die happens to like at higher speeds), with IF (FCLK) running at 1866 (wouldn't overclock higher than that). Dropped to 65.7ns latency in AIDA64 testing after using tweaked subtimings from his suggestions. Rock solid since then through memory testing, gaming, and benchmarks.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hello! I used Ryzen calculator and I will optimize from there although I found some strange things like not even posting at any speed with the CL 16 timings that the ryzen calculator gave. I don´t know why is that, but anyway, it went very good with those cl 14 timings.

I agree with you that getting to know timings takes time (hahaha) and even more to tune memory properly. Just now I´m only making an approach to it, since I dont overclock anything since 775 platform, and I´ve forgotten all this memory stuff.

Micron E die is the cost per performance sweet spot (at least I see it that way) from what I´ve seen over the internet Samsung B die can do some amazing things, micron is not so good on timings given the speed in mhz, but it´s much cheaper... At first I was going to buy the best micron e die model, 3600 cl 16 I think, but it was 164 euros, and I could find some b die for just below 200... so I thought that it was a better idea to go full blast with a 200 bdie, save as much as I could and put that money into a 3700 x insted a 3600... and thats what I did. Don´t regret it to be honest.

Another thing, I think that memory perfomrance is not dependant on chipset but on the cpu itself with ryzen, so you should get the same or similar results. I could be wrong though, I´m learning along I do how this platforms work, so maybe mistaken in this regard

One last thing, my current config ir at 3466 mhz, since the last one was not completely stable. It crashed sometime at night during a memory stress test... I worked with those timings with no problem for two days, but just in case... I downgrade the speed a little.
Thanks :) I'm still on the fence about this, but I might go for a lower rated Crucial Ballistix kit with E die then instead of the lottery of whatever chips are in the LPX 3600C18. Prices are comparable, so I won't be saving much, but at least a little bit. And of course ~3400c14/15 sounds a lot better than 3600c18. I'm guessing the Corsair needs decent quality dice given its relatively high clocks, but c18 isn't particularly impressive, even if it is at 1.35V. I suppose Pushing the LPX to 1.5V might allow for tighter timings, though. I might buy both and return whichever is the worst performer, if I have the time to properly tune these.

The chipset itself doesn't matter for memory speed/compatibility, but the board does, and X570 boards are (supposed to be) engineered with better trace quality than previous boards - logical, as DRAM has been the one field where Intel has soundly beaten AMD up until this point. Another new thing is the decoupling of IF speed and DRAM clocks in Zen2, which I don't think carries over to the Ryzen 3000 APUs (which are Zen+). Then again even Zen+ IF links should be capable of handling 1700MHz (3400/2) speeds, and I'm not going bargain-basement for my B450 board either.

^ Agreed with above recommendation for Ryzen calculator. Also Buildzoid (Actually Hardware Overclocking) did a video recently with a bunch of subtimings suggestions that worked well for me. Got my 2 x 16GB running at 3733Mhz 15-15-15-34 (didn't realize "gear down" had to be disabled to use the odd CAS subtiming, which this variant of B-die happens to like at higher speeds), with IF (FCLK) running at 1866 (wouldn't overclock higher than that). Dropped to 65.7ns latency in AIDA64 testing after using tweaked subtimings from his suggestions. Rock solid since then through memory testing, gaming, and benchmarks.
I like the Ryzen Memory Calculator in theory, but in my limited experimentation on my Biostar X370 GTN with my TridentZ 3200c16 it didn't help at all. I can run XMP timings if I set the speed to 2933 (3200 crashes intermittently), but the timings from the calculator wouldn't POST at all, sadly. Then again this motherboard is ... not good. Looking forward to replacing it with an X570 board in due time :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ok, gotcha. Problem now is that the Gigabyte is ooo in Amazon, sigh. I should've pulled the trigger last week. Any idea when it'll be in stock again?

As for the 5700XT, isn't that good for compute tasks as well?
The Navi cards current do not have the best compute characteristic compared to the cards they're replacing. The Vega cards work better there at the moment. This should improve over time though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@paulesko Just to confirm, is this RAM kit similar to what you bought, and likely to be Micron E-die? The model number ends in AES (well, AESBK, but BK seems to be the color), at least. 3200 instead of 3000, but the 3000 kit is barely any cheaper, and is out of stock.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Hello!
I don´t know how I missed this. Sorry for the late answer... Yes, those are exactly my module kits of ram but mine are 3.000 (mines are: BLS2K8G4D30AESBK) By the way, I saw a video on twitch were buildzoid overclocked this sticks on a ryzen system, the video is like 3 hours long or so, but if you see the last hour is enough because at the begining he was just trying to make them work at 4.xxx mhz cl20 an 1.9v... interesting but useless for us, normal people. After seeing that video, I could put my memory to work at 3800 15-19-15 or something like that at 1.5v but it was not completely stable, so I searched for a stable configuration being it 3800 16-20-17-38-64 1T .... The problem was that eventhough the ram could do it, and the infinity fabric could also do it.... when I syncronised both, the system crashed at the first second of prime 95... don´t know why, I tried many different voltaje configuration (and CPU mhz just in case) but in the end I turned down the speed to 3.725 mhz and it´s rock solid right now.

this is the video I was talking about

And here he talks about timings, speeds and how those affect memory actual latency and bandwith on ryzen

Now, I came here for another matter (lol)

I´ve found a comment on a forum where it´s said that vray doesnt support Open Cl, so, radeon cards won´t work properly. This is importante for rendering in v-ray because what I do many times is render mixing the power of the CPU+GPU, and it seems not to be possible with Radeon cards. I take this seriously, eventhough I like AMD better, I use the pc to work, and I have to spend where it counts, so I guess I´ll end up buying Nvidia (sadly)

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hello!
I don´t know how I missed this. Sorry for the late answer... Yes, those are exactly my module kits of ram but mine are 3.000 (mines are: BLS2K8G4D30AESBK) By the way, I saw a video on twitch were buildzoid overclocked this sticks on a ryzen system, the video is like 3 hours long or so, but if you see the last hour is enough because at the begining he was just trying to make them work at 4.xxx mhz cl20 an 1.9v... interesting but useless for us, normal people. After seeing that video, I could put my memory to work at 3800 15-19-15 or something like that at 1.5v but it was not completely stable, so I searched for a stable configuration being it 3800 16-20-17-38-64 1T .... The problem was that eventhough the ram could do it, and the infinity fabric could also do it.... when I syncronised both, the system crashed at the first second of prime 95... don´t know why, I tried many different voltaje configuration (and CPU mhz just in case) but in the end I turned down the speed to 3.725 mhz and it´s rock solid right now.

this is the video I was talking about

And here he talks about timings, speeds and how those affect memory actual latency and bandwith on ryzen

Now, I came here for another matter (lol)

I´ve found a comment on a forum where it´s said that vray doesnt support Open Cl, so, radeon cards won´t work properly. This is importante for rendering in v-ray because what I do many times is render mixing the power of the CPU+GPU, and it seems not to be possible with Radeon cards. I take this seriously, eventhough I like AMD better, I use the pc to work, and I have to spend where it counts, so I guess I´ll end up buying Nvidia (sadly)
Too bad about the Vray issue, but thanks for the feedback! I'll be getting one of those kits then (perhaps the same 3000 kit, as the 3200 just jumped up in price), and I'll see how well it scales with the 3000-series APUs. Btw, about your stability issues when syncing DRAM and IF, have you tried increasing your SoC Voltage? Not sure it'll help, but I've heard of people solving Ryzen stability issues by bumping that (either due to Vdroop under load or just plain too low voltages).

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
ok, I´ll try again, although I was already at 1.1v but I guess I´ll try a little more even if it´s just to know how it works. Thank you!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
ok, I´ll try again, although I was already at 1.1v but I guess I´ll try a little more even if it´s just to know how it works. Thank you!
No problem :) Btw, here is where I got that from: this post in the ASrock DeskMini A300 thread. Of course the discussion there concerns Ryzen APUs, not CPUs, but the issues (trouble with high IF and DRAM speeds) are the same, at least. Probably some people there with more hands-on experience with this than me :)