Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Hey Lone, you know I'm a fan :thumb:
Combined with my experience with the Realan e-i7 case, I'd like to humbly make a set of recommendations for your next iteration:
  • I believe the front fan positions are not optimal. Airflow in that direction is broken by the DIMMs and it's clashing with the airflow from the GPU. So, I recommend to move the fan positions to the top of the case, increasing the height by 15mm for thin 92mm fans.
  • Then, the space in the front can be used to install a FlexATX PSU, exhausting upwards (so the top fans quickly discharge that hot air out of the case). You would, of course, have to provide an internal extension cable as an optional purchase for users who would prefer this option. I believe FlexATX will become more and more popular, with more and more manufacturers coming up with optimized/silent/modular designs. It's already started happening...
  • Two more fan locations at the bottom, for two 92mm fans, for those users that may want to take their stock fans away and install 92mm fans here for quieter and better performance.
The combined benefit of these changes would be ability to cool and power more powerful CPUs.

Another, rather drastic, idea I have requires use of PCI-E riser cable to support ITX (not LP) cards below the motherboard but elevated from the motherboard plane. The ITX GPU would be elevated to give space for a FlexATX PSU right below the motherboard. The ITX GPU would have its fans facing the side panel. Even including the 15mm fans on top of the case, I reckon case dimensions of 300mm height, 200mm depth, 100mm width would be viable. Final result is a 6-liter, very small foot-print case that supports FlexATX and ITX-size GPU (as well as quite tall CPU coolers). I believe I am correct to observe that such a case would support DTX-size motherboards as well... :)

Edit: For the crazy-factor for this last idea, I believe an internal bracket can enable a 120mm AIO (with a slim fan) to be installed on the side panel. This would certainly require AIOs with low pump/block assemblies and flexible tubing...

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Combined with my experience with the Realan e-i7 case, I'd like to humbly make a set of recommendations for your next iteration:
  • I believe the front fan positions are not optimal. Airflow in that direction is broken by the DIMMs and it's clashing with the airflow from the GPU. So, I recommend to move the fan positions to the top of the case, increasing the height by 15mm for thin 92mm fans.
  • Then, the space in the front can be used to install a FlexATX PSU, exhausting upwards (so the top fans quickly discharge that hot air out of the case). You would, of course, have to provide an internal extension cable as an optional purchase for users who would prefer this option. I believe FlexATX will become more and more popular, with more and more manufacturers coming up with optimized/silent/modular designs. It's already started happening...
  • Two more fan locations at the bottom, for two 92mm fans, for those users that may want to take their stock fans away and install 92mm fans here for quieter and better performance.
The combined benefit of these changes would be ability to cool and power more powerful CPUs.

Another, rather drastic, idea I have requires use of PCI-E riser cable to support ITX (not LP) cards below the motherboard but elevated from the motherboard plane. The ITX GPU would be elevated to give space for a FlexATX PSU right below the motherboard. The ITX GPU would have its fans facing the side panel. Even including the 15mm fans on top of the case, I reckon case dimensions of 300mm height, 200mm depth, 100mm width would be viable. Final result is a 6-liter, very small foot-print case that supports FlexATX and ITX-size GPU (as well as quite tall CPU coolers). I believe I am correct to observe that such a case would support DTX-size motherboards as well... :)

Edit: For the crazy-factor for this last idea, I believe an internal bracket can enable a 120mm AIO (with a slim fan) to be installed on the side panel. This would certainly require AIOs with low pump/block assemblies and flexible tubing...

IMO there are already ton of cases supporting such features. However there are not enough decent amount of cases like L5. It is a unique case which addresses different needs. Some people just wanna have a silent and small case for their daily works or media centers. There are people would like to run only an APU or LP GPU supported case for light work. These implementations you offered mean ignoring these people and making L5 an ordinary case among other hundred examples. Nevertheless I agree with you about case airflow can be improved in the future versions.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016

Those are all solid ideas for a case, but after implementing them all you've essentially designed a completely new case, and it's not an L5 case. This case fits a niche that not many other cases offer.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'd suggest starting a new thread, and see what other people think.

I have seen user feedback make it into future revisions of my case years later, so you never know what might happen down the road.

Last edited:

SEGFAULT

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2020

stop trying to make one of the best USSF cases available bigger and more like all the other cases on the market.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
A quick update.

I'm expecting to receive my parts by this Friday, but they are arriving later than expected. As a result, l will need to push the availability date to next Friday.

I also received my order of G-Unique DC-ATX, but I am still waiting on some screws for them to arrive.

robinpfeiffer

Chassis Packer
Dec 1, 2018
rbn.dev
Also, if you don't mind doing some wiring, the GX12 is one alternative to using a C14 connector that doesn't require modding the case. Another option is a pigtail C14.

You've peeked my interest with that GX12 option. Seems like I will need to order another L5 for myself ? Maybe it could even replace my current desktop with those upcoming AMD 8-core APUs.

Reactions: Jello

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Would replacing the GPU fan with other 15mm thickness fan do? There is 80mm x 80mm x 15mm fan from noise blocker.
The fan can be connected to motherboard as a case fan. Noise could be suppressed a lot. And it should not reach very high temperature either with near silent fan curve profile.

I have done just this. My MSI RX560 low profile with the fan off has JUST enough room to mount a slim 80mm fan. I've used the two mounting holes for HDD and they line up perfectly with an 80mm fan. I have a GPU fan header splitter so I attach one to the slim 80mm and the other to the 90mm intake so in essence the GPU has two fans attached to it.

Results have been mixed. It's certainly much better than the stock GPU fans (they are loud even at idle) and temperatures are decent (70-80 under load) but the Noise Blocker fan exhibits a weird pitch, it's annoying to my ears. Also the GPU kicks up the fans in a weird way and leaves them on at like 50%, it could just be a hacktintosh thing.

Reactions: Lone

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have done just this. My MSI RX560 low profile with the fan off has JUST enough room to mount a slim 80mm fan. I've used the two mounting holes for HDD and they line up perfectly with an 80mm fan. I have a GPU fan header splitter so I attach one to the slim 80mm and the other to the 90mm intake so in essence the GPU has two fans attached to it.

Results have been mixed. It's certainly much better than the stock GPU fans (they are loud even at idle) and temperatures are decent (70-80 under load) but the Noise Blocker fan exhibits a weird pitch, it's annoying to my ears. Also the GPU kicks up the fans in a weird way and leaves them on at like 50%, it could just be a hacktintosh thing.

FYI the cooler master 80x15 fans are much better (quieter, cheaper) than the noiseblocker 80x15. Two caveats that may be deal breakers though - they are 3 pin fans and they actually measure closer to 16mm thick.

I tested pretty extensively with a low profile 1050ti though I had to use motherboard fan control as gpu fan control didn't work. Since upgrading to the ASUS 1650 LP with zero RPM fans I've been happy with the stock fans and haven't put the 80mm back in the system.

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I received my parts on Friday, and the parts and finish look very good. Unfortunately, I found there's a small imperfection on every single cover (likely caused during the bending process). My manufacturer is going to remake the parts, but this will push availability to around July 3. I apologize for the delay.

• Sad
Reactions: robinpfeiffer

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
I received my parts on Friday, and the parts and finish look very good. Unfortunately, I found there's a small imperfection on every single cover (likely caused during the bending process). My manufacturer is going to remake the parts, but this will push availability to around July 3. I apologize for the delay.

So... you have a bunch of primary side panels that arent usable? Any chance I could buy one of these defect parts from you so i could do a little experimentation with adding some additional GPU venting. I want to try adding more ventilation holes, but dont really want to start cutting my panel up . One of these rejects would let me test some things and still be able to change my mind if I dont like the result.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
So... you have a bunch of primary side panels that arent usable? Any chance I could buy one of these defect parts from you so i could do a little experimentation with adding some additional GPU venting. I want to try adding more ventilation holes, but dont really want to start cutting my panel up . One of these rejects would let me test some things and still be able to change my mind if I dont like the result.

I'll have to get back to you on that. If my manufacturer doesn't want me to return or destroy the bad parts, then I'll just have you cover the shipping cost.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

In case it's of interest, a customer from France suggested changing the thermal paste on your GTX 1650. He said normally there's no warranty sticker on the screws, so you can can take off the heatsink without voiding the warranty. Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited: