CPU: Intel G4560
Cooler: Noctua L9i + 92mm Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM
MoBo: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT LP
RAM: 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400
PSU: picoPSU-160-XT + 192w AC-DC Power Adapter
Storage: 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVMe
Case Fans: 80mm Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM

I finally had a chance to transfer my build from the S4M-C to the Lone L5X! I missed out on the L4 and was very excited when the L5 was announced. I really dig the aesthetics of this case. The build quality is great. There were no scratches or noticeable imperfections and the structure is sturdy and solid. The entire case has a nice texture to it. The system itself isn't super powerful, but it's a secondary build and handles my needs. :)

Overall, it was a relatively painless experience. I had to work a bit to get the fan grills lined up with the holes, and I think I could clean up the cable management a bit, but everything else was smooth sailing. I forgot to grab the LP GPU bracket so it's currently without. I also forgot that this motherboard has 2 fan power options so only one case fan runs at the moment (waiting on a splitter).

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I received more parts today. White/black is back in stock. One L5X left. I also have a few extra black and white side panels available.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Bring up passive cooling again, does anyone think the Dynatron K618 (Intel only) would fair better than the Arctic Alpine heatsink discussed earlier in the thread?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Bring up passive cooling again, does anyone think the Dynatron K618 (Intel only) would fair better than the Arctic Alpine heatsink discussed earlier in the thread?

Hard to say for sure without testing it. The Alpine 12 Passive is recommended for TDP up to 47W, and states that CPUs with a TDP > 35 W may reduce the clock during longer periods of full load in PCs with absolutely no fan. The K618 is rated for 95W TDP CPU. The K618 is slightly smaller and lighter, but has a completely different design. There's not a lot of info on how the K618 is supposed to be used, but I assume it's designed primarily for rackmount server enclosures. Not sure if that was helpful at all.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018

Some more stuff arrived. HDPlex and Ryzen 2200g. Now only needs an 2tb nvme to go on sale.

I like the boxy look of the ryzen wraith spire prism from my 2700x (I don't like the clear fans/seeing the color wires in the back of the fan so I painted it black). Unfortunately it's too tall. So... I 3d printed a mount (still wip), and snap this top fan to the ryzen 3 heat sink. If I want to remove the fan, I would have to pull it out by force). Once I print another version that's more snugged, I don't think I will need to remove it anytime soon. NH L-12s, with the new chromex black fan. Heard it will be released in Q4.

The ryzen wraith spire prism (2700x) is much more quiet than the 2200g one (even I didn't paint it evenly)
With the case cover on, the fan turbulence is louder.

I will need to look into custom sleeving cables myself after everything is here.

Reactions: August and Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Some more stuff arrived. HDPlex and Ryzen 2200g. Now only needs an 2tb nvme to go on sale.

I like the boxy look of the ryzen wraith spire prism from my 2700x (I don't like the clear fans/seeing the color wires in the back of the fan so I painted it black). Unfortunately it's too tall. So... I 3d printed a mount (still wip), and snap this top fan to the ryzen 3 heat sink. If I want to remove the fan, I would have to pull it out by force). Once I print another version that's more snugged, I don't think I will need to remove it anytime soon. NH L-12s, with the new chromex black fan. Heard it will be released in Q4.

The ryzen wraith spire prism (2700x) is much more quiet than the 2200g one (even I didn't paint it evenly)
With the case cover on, the fan turbulence is louder.

I will need to look into custom sleeving cables myself after everything is here.

Nice work on the printed fan adapter! Quite ingenious.

An NH-L12S with black chromax fan sounds interesting. Do you have a link to where you heard this by chance?

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Heres a small build log that I did, purpose is for a portable decent gaming and streaming itx

2200 AMD
Noctua
8GB
GTX 1050 Zotac
240GB SSD

I'm using the new 200w HDPLEX AC-DC combo

I love the back cutout, once you unscrew eight of the screws its easier to build into and has more leg room than the past L4 mini.

Even with the beefier heatsink of the hdplex 200w there's still a lot of room for the fans, sadly my fans are still underway

Sadly, the old 160w would not work with the new 200wAC-DC, out of the box you need to have a converter since its using an 6 pin connector..

Hdplex's 200w AC-DC

The aluminum is sturdy and lighter which what I was hoping for, and no more dell brick. I'm using the 200w palm size AC-DC.
I think I will be using this for a long time since this is one of my end goal for the small lighter builds, much improved than the previous models, when it comes to legroom and thermal design. I would purchase another one if only I have not so many backlog builds :) really light and portable! great stuff james! Thanks!

Last edited:

siliciferous

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
wtfomfg.org
Heres a small build log that I did, purpose is for a portable decent gaming and streaming itx

Thank you so much for sharing! Your pictures were super helpful for my own build planning...

If I may ask, what front fans do you plan on using? Are 80x25mm front fans out of the question? Also I'm planning on not using a GPU in my own build...do you think the HDPLEX AC-DC will be able to fit inside the case without a problem?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Finally, the "first" build is finished! (waiting for the G-Unique custom PSU)

With a bit of time, I was able to optimize the cable management.

I confirm that the ADT.Link riser works till 10W without the power cable,
but suddenly it has both the cable and PCIe slot mounted opposite for my initial needs or for someone wants to use a second GPU or whatever in the second slot.

But on the website they don't do anything that can have a perfect orientation using the back M.2 slot for most all of the Z390 ITX, BUT, I think for the ASRock Z390 Phantom it should work, instead!) Because the M.2 connector is flipped, and this means also the PCIe will be flipped!)

In the end, I've decided to use the riser to plug an Intel Optane 905p for the OS.

Here the build pics with the Noctua L12S!

BTW, Dell has 2 NEW slim PSU, the one I am using is very small and is rated 180W. It does another one of 240W, but don't know how much is big compared to this.

Enjoy!

So, have you noticed any performance difference with the alternative M.2 mounting? Wanting to maybe use the asrock x570 board in this case

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
According to HDPLEX, if there is an 80 mm fan in front of the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX, you can remove the front heatsink.

How convenient.

Just curious, did fabio tell you if they noticed any issues with the alternative M.2 mounting?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

2200 AMD
Noctua
8GB
GTX 1050 Zotac
240GB SSD

I'm using the new 200w HDPLEX AC-DC combo

I love the back cutout, once you unscrew eight of the screws its easier to build into and has more leg room than the past L4 mini.

Even with the beefier heatsink of the hdplex 200w there's still a lot of room for the fans, sadly my fans are still underway. Sadly, the old 160w would not work with the new 200w AC-DC, out of the box you need to have a converter since its using an 6 pin connector.

The aluminum is sturdy and lighter which what I was hoping for, and no more dell brick. I'm using the 200w palm size AC-DC. I think I will be using this for a long time since this is one of my end goal for the small lighter builds, much improved than the previous models, when it comes to legroom and thermal design. I would purchase another one if only I have not so many backlog builds really light and portable! great stuff james! Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to post your build! Always makes my day to hear back from customers.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Solid info, thanks Lone! ? Picking up some second-hand parts this evening. Excited for this one—been eyeing the L5 for a while now, and delighted to be pulling together a semi-passive Hackintosh for work in one. ✌️