Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Update on my Lone L5...
It arrived today after taking a circuitous route through San Francisco (customs probably)

I was all set to send it back, but then it arrived and I had to open it and have a look..

DEFINITELY keeping it.

James' work here is impeccable and the build quality and finish are just amazing.

I'm compelled to do some type of build at some point with this.
I just can't "not" do it.

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I'm thinking I'll probably make this a hackintosh build simply because gaming builds, at least for my usage, are much more likely to push the envelope for power and thermals and I just don't want my gaming build constrained by low profile GPU options (lack of them).

That sticks me with the RX 560 I just sent back - typical me...lol

Oh well - no rush.
I need to figure out an alternate cooling plan anyhow.

I'm either going to do a low noise adapter situation or remove the stock fans and see if 80x15mm ones would work on top of the RX 560 LP heatsink.

@Nanook did an amazing job of just that with the MSI 1050ti LP
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-l4-render-machine.8420/

But - the RX560 lists as a slightly thicker GPU and it's unclear if that's the fans making more height, the heatsink or something else.
Only way to know is get another and test it - so I'll probably just wait for a good deal on one.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I'm thinking I'll probably make this a hackintosh build simply because gaming builds, at least for my usage, are much more likely to push the envelope for power and thermals and I just don't want my gaming build constrained by low profile GPU options (lack of them).

That sticks me with the RX 560 I just sent back - typical me...lol

Oh well - no rush.
I need to figure out an alternate cooling plan anyhow.

I'm either going to do a low noise adapter situation or remove the stock fans and see if 80x15mm ones would work on top of the RX 560 LP heatsink.

@Nanook did an amazing job of just that with the MSI 1050ti LP
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-l4-render-machine.8420/

But - the RX560 lists as a slightly thicker GPU and it's unclear if that's the fans making more height, the heatsink or something else.
Only way to know is get another and test it - so I'll probably just wait for a good deal on one.
FWIW I found the Cooler Master 3-pin 80x15mm fans have a better noise profile (and are cheaper) than the Noiseblocker PWM 80x15mm fans.

Lone also put measurements earlier in this thread so you can look up how much space you have for fans.

Good luck let us know how it turns out!

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
FWIW I found the Cooler Master 3-pin 80x15mm fans have a better noise profile (and are cheaper) than the Noiseblocker PWM 80x15mm fans.

Does that mean the motherboard can’t control the fans based upon system load?
(3 pin vs 4 pin pwm)

Reading about it looks like I could control them with voltage on my motherboard but people seem to advise against it as they can tend to stall out/stop/otherwise have issue at lower voltages, which I might be using if trying to keep things quiet - yeah?

Makes me feel like I should maybe stick with 4 pin PWM’s, especially since I learned that the RX560 LP really only needed 2-3k fan rpm on its own cooler to stay plenty cool even when loaded up, so I’d likely want to keep the 80mm fans scaled back pretty good.

These seem well regarded - any thoughts?

Top Motor by Dynatron DF128015BM 80mm x 15mm 2 Ball Bearing 4 Pin PWM CPU Replacement Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7FSR6S/?tag=theminutiae-20

I noticed one reviewer mentioned how he’d replaced his 1060 fans with these and was very happy about it.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Does that mean the motherboard can’t control the fans based upon system load?
(3 pin vs 4 pin pwm)

Reading about it looks like I could control them with voltage on my motherboard but people seem to advise against it as they can tend to stall out/stop/otherwise have issue at lower voltages, which I might be using if trying to keep things quiet - yeah?

Makes me feel like I should maybe stick with 4 pin PWM’s, especially since I learned that the RX560 LP really only needed 2-3k fan rpm on its own cooler to stay plenty cool even when loaded up, so I’d likely want to keep the 80mm fans scaled back pretty good.

These seem well regarded - any thoughts?

Top Motor by Dynatron DF128015BM 80mm x 15mm 2 Ball Bearing 4 Pin PWM CPU Replacement Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7FSR6S/?tag=theminutiae-20

I noticed one reviewer mentioned how he’d replaced his 1060 fans with these and was very happy about it.
Most modern motherboards can control 3 pin fans just fine

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
Just posting to say I did get mine. I bought one of the warped units. I don't feel like the warp around the CPU vent is extreme, or even noticeable really unless you go looking for it. You can experience the slightest bit of flex in that area when taking the case apart and putting it back together. This is just from the material not having quite enough mass in that area, but it really doesn't seem like its problematic in any way.

I'd love to share some build pics but to that end I haven't even dug into it yet. I've always got my eye on a future project and this case really fits the direction I'm looking to build in... now I just need the rest of the parts. lol. I am impressed with this little case though and I look forward to building in it.

My only disappointment (and it was due to my own misunderstanding) is that the mesh at the front of the case is part of the chassis and is not removable. When I saw the initial renders for this case an alternative front was shown in renders and I had the impression that this was something that could be achieved by removing the mesh...

^ IMO that looks pretty damn fine, but I'll live. Still following this project though. If the above ever becomes available I could totally see myself buying a second one of these.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just posting to say I did get mine. I bought one of the warped units. I don't feel like the warp around the CPU vent is extreme, or even noticeable really unless you go looking for it. You can experience the slightest bit of flex in that area when taking the case apart and putting it back together. This is just from the material not having quite enough mass in that area, but it really doesn't seem like its problematic in any way.

I'd love to share some build pics but to that end I haven't even dug into it yet. I've always got my eye on a future project and this case really fits the direction I'm looking to build in... now I just need the rest of the parts. lol. I am impressed with this little case though and I look forward to building in it.

My only disappointment (and it was due to my own misunderstanding) is that the mesh at the front of the case is part of the chassis and is not removable. When I saw the initial renders for this case an alternative front was shown in renders and I had the impression that this was something that could be achieved by removing the mesh...

^ IMO that looks pretty damn fine, but I'll live. Still following this project though. If the above ever becomes available I could totally see myself buying a second one of these.

I modified my case (not a Lone) by purchasing an 80mm hole saw and fan grilles. See last couple photos here:

Reactions: WHATT and NoSk0pz

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Thanks for the feedback. Remember you are welcome to return the case if you'd like.

Just removing the mesh wasn't an option, as the fan mounts would be sitting back from the front by another 6.35 mm or nearly 8 mm from the front edge. I determined it was easier to offer each style as two separate parts. I am still considering producing a small number of that style with the large round fan cut outs.

Reactions: WHATT and NoSk0pz

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. Remember you are welcome to return the case if you'd like.

Just removing the mesh wasn't an option, as the fan mounts would be sitting back from the front by another 6.35 mm or nearly 8 mm from the front edge. I determined it was easier to offer each style as two separate parts. I am still considering producing a small number of that style with the large round fan cut outs.

While I appreciate that you'd be willing to do that, I have no intention of returning the case. I'm still happy with it. Just pointing out that I do like the alternative front option, but its by no means a make or break feature. I just happen to think it looks cool.

Reactions: Jello and Lone

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
For those running a 95W CPU (8700k, 9900k, R7 2700X, etc.), what cooler are you running and what temps are you seeing? Seems like the L12S would be the smart choice, curious to hear if anyone has found something better.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
What a great case. I'm following the L-Line quite some time now and its always nice to see all the developments :)
Too bad its a niche with quite a havy price tag :(
But still, keep up the great work @Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
What a great case. I'm following the L-Line quite some time now and its always nice to see all the developments :)
Too bad its a niche with quite a havy price tag :(
But still, keep up the great work @Lone

Thank you!

You probably already know this, but for those who may not, the price is in Canadian Dollars, and does include shipping. Still, I wish it were more affordable also. I will look at this in the future, but it largely depends on the quantity that I produce. I could remove the shipping from the price, but it doesn't actually make it cheaper.

What price range would feel more reasonable to you (feel free to send me a PM)?

Reactions: Advokatrix

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'm quite happy with the L5, so it will probably live on to see some revisions. I'm leaning towards investing in a cluster punch to resolve the warped CPU vent issue. I would also like to try different colours (ie. white/black), and offer non-vented panels. I am also considering producing a tiny batch of the L5 with the round front fan cutouts (if anyone is seriously interested in this, please let me know).

Now that I have a manufacturer who is nearby, and seems to do good work, there is the thought to produce a second model. One design I've wanted to do for years is a slim low profile variation. This is more of a pipe dream though.

I also now have access to a CNC router, so another thought in the back of my head is making custom front covers, and how to incorporate that.

Lack of time is still a big issue for me, so not much has happened lately.

Last edited:

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I am also considering producing a tiny batch of the L5 with the round front fan cutouts (if anyone is seriously interested in this, please let me know).

Those look SUPER cool - jus' sayin'

I wish I had more options for LP GPU's - I'm on the verge of ordering a Super Reaper Mini from TaoBao simply because it's a similar ideal to the Lone (size/shape/options), but it allows for normal profile GPU's in ITX length, which are way more plentiful in the marketplace.

Such a shame the LP options are so non-existent...must be a cost thing for the manufacturers or perhaps thermal design challenges?

I wish one day for there to be a lone case that somehow accommodates an ITX gpu