Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
There may be other reasons I'm forgetting, but here are some:

Reduce chance of warping. Note issues I ended up having with CPU vent.

Using 1-2 front case fans the GPU vent becomes entry or exit point for air (ie. size doesn't need to match size or number of GPU fans). The tiny GPU vans aren't very strong, so the goal is to keep the air temp inside the case cool.

With the L5, I wanted the least amount of vents as possible, and not the most.

I know there are some who like the idea of replacing the stock GPU fans with 80 mm fans. I'm not totally convinced this is a great option. Half the fan doesn't even cover the heatsink. More testing needs to be done. There's so much room down there, I would like to see a fanless heatsink developed just for this purpose.

Come to realize there doesn't seem to be a picture anywhere in this thread or on your website what the bottom looks like. Could you share a pic?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Do you have a pic of the plate ??
Can it be purchased separately - and for how much ??

I'll have to look tomorrow at work and see how many I have. Please remind me via PM if you don't hear back from me by Monday.

Come to realize there doesn't seem to be a picture anywhere in this thread or on your website what the bottom looks like. Could you share a pic?

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
It looks like the first orders shipped to the United States are being delivered to customers today.

Received mine this afternoon. Everything was packaged well and arrived in good shape. I threw some spare components in to check tolerances and everything went together easily. My Asus 1050Ti OC is only a few mm from the side vent, but with the orientation of the heat sink, it should get plenty of fresh air from the front 80mm fans and I may not need any aftermarket fan on the side, if one will even fit.

I will post pics tomorrow of my full build once my 80mm fans arrive.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Last edited:

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019

Excited to see it!
Mine comes Tuesday, but I'm not sure I'll be using it now..

I've had an issue with my Hackintosh build plans in that the RX 560 Low Profile I have, that I was going to use in the Lone, doesn't ever go below 30% (2800rpm) - sucks..

in Windows I can custom curve it lower, but not on MacOS side sadly (which would be what I would use 100% of the time on a Lone build with it.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Received mine this afternoon. Everything was packaged well and arrived in good shape. I threw some spare components in to check tolerances and everything went together easily. My Asus 1050Ti OC is only a few mm from the side vent, but with the orientation of the heat sink, it should get plenty of fresh air from the front 80mm fans and I may not need any aftermarket fan on the side, if one will even fit.

How is that Asus 1050ti?? I've been trying to get my hands on one. Looks like the best of the best for the LP GPUs right now.

Reactions: vanbeveren

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
How is that Asus 1050ti?? I've been trying to get my hands on one. Looks like the best of the best for the LP GPUs right now.

I didn't even realize there was any divergence between any of the models.
I see your point about trying to find one - nowhere to be found!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I didn't even realize there was any divergence between any of the models.
I see your point about trying to find one - nowhere to be found!
Asus has dual fans and a 5 pin fan header that makes it seem like it would have good fan control. Most of the 1050ti won't let you set fan speed under 40% even when idle .

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Glad your case arrived safely! I'm curious if the cooler is taller on the ASUS compared to the MSI? I have an MSI GTX 1050 Ti recorded as 30.7 mm from the top of the PCB to the top of the cooler.

Excited to see it!
Mine comes Tuesday, but I'm not sure I'll be using it now..

I've had an issue with my Hackintosh build plans in that the RX 560 Low Profile I have, that I was going to use in the Lone, doesn't ever go below 30% (2800rpm) - sucks..

in Windows I can custom curve it lower, but not on MacOS side sadly (which would be what I would use 100% of the time on a Lone build with it.

You could make a "low noise adapter" like Noctua provides with some of their coolers/fans. I just cut up an extra Noctua LNA for mine.

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018

I haven't used it yet. I purchased it on woot a few months ago with the intention of moving my HTPC to a smaller case (Lazer3D HT5, Lone L5, or Pure XL). I'll let you know about minimum fan speed and idle and load noise once I get everything assembled. If I can't get fans low enough, I'll plan to get a fan adapter from moddiy and a quieter fan or flash the vBios with another Asus 1050ti that allows fanless operation.

My case fans were delayed but should arrive today.

Glad your case arrived safely! I'm curious if the cooler is taller on the ASUS compared to the MSI? I have an MSI GTX 1050 Ti recorded as 30.7 mm from the top of the PCB to the top of the cooler.

I'll take some measurements and let you know.

Reactions: Lone

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I haven't used it yet. I purchased it on woot a few months ago with the intention of moving my HTPC to a smaller case (Lazer3D HT5, Lone L5, or Pure XL). I'll let you know about minimum fan speed and idle and load noise once I get everything assembled. If I can't get fans low enough, I'll plan to get a fan adapter from moddiy and a quieter fan or flash the vBios with another Asus 1050ti that allows fanless operation.

My case fans were delayed but should arrive today.

I'll take some measurements and let you know.
Ugh I missed that woot sale by like an hour :(

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Received mine today! It would have come Saturday but the mailman didn't want to get out of his truck during the storms.

Looks good. I'm impressed by how small it is. And the slight bow is only present when I squeeze the panel. Other than that, I can't tell it has one. I need to receive a power supply first before I can start building in it though. But I may just run some cables from an SFF power supply nearby. while I wait. Hopefully the cables I have are long enough.

Reactions: Lone

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
What's the protocol to re-sell mine?
You could make a "low noise adapter" like Noctua provides with some of their coolers/fans. I just cut up an extra Noctua LNA for mine.

Looking like I'll be turning around and immediately placing it for sale tomorrow.
Hopefully I can find a buyer here on the site or reddit I guess - one benefit is that it'll ship and arrive quick when starting here in Idaho

(just emailed you James w/ a shipping question)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
What's the protocol to re-sell mine?

Looking like I'll be turning around and immediately placing it for sale tomorrow.
Hopefully I can find a buyer here on the site or reddit I guess - one benefit is that it'll ship and arrive quick when starting here in Idaho

(just emailed you James w/ a shipping question)

Sorry to hear your GPU didn't work out for you. There are ways to get a quiet low profile GPU, but unfortunately takes some patience and fiddling. I still dream of producing a larger passive heatsink for these LP GPU that require fans. Will have to talk to my mfg about that one of these days.

Reactions: vanbeveren

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Sorry to hear your GPU didn't work out for you. There are ways to get a quiet low profile GPU, but unfortunately takes some patience and fiddling. I still dream of producing a larger passive heatsink for these LP GPU that require fans. Will have to talk to my mfg about that one of these days.
There are some passive GTX 1030's that look like they may have compatible heatsinks. Of course it would still need some fan but it could probably be run on real slow RPMs off a motherboard header.