Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
You have me wondering if I could retrofit a passive cooler onto the MSI RX 560 LP
I see MSI has some LP Passive GPU's - I wonder if any of them have a layout that would work..

(ponders..)

I need to get a good deal on a used RX560 LP at some point that I'll feel "ok" about having around and playing with/testing.

You and me both! ?

I would love if you made a reversion that incorporates the 200W HDPLEX, mounting holes for a Meanwell, and includes a perfect cable length set.

Without front fans it appears this would work, depending on how long your GPU is (if you're using one). You would have to hit up J-Hack for wiring at this point.

I am personally not a huge fan of the Meanwell EPP/RPS AC-DC due to the heat and noise mine produced.

There is one customer who is working with G-Unique on an internal PSU that would replace one of the front fans. It could be a while before we see anything though.

Reactions: Woxys

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I've been trying out the Arctic Alpine 12 Passive today. I am using it with an Intel i5-6500 (65W TDP), and two case fans. Conclusion so far is that it cannot handle Prime95. Only using KeyShot in preview mode with all four cores running at 100%, temps hover around 65-67°C.

Bummer..

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I've been trying out the Arctic Alpine 12 Passive today. I am using it with an Intel i5-6500 (65W TDP), and two case fans. Conclusion so far is that it cannot handle Prime95. Only using KeyShot in preview mode with all four cores running at 100%, temps hover around 65-67°C.
That’s pretty good actually. Keyshot is my most intensive workload... usually similar in temps as Prime95 for me. I wonder how many more TDPs the Alpine 12 can handle...

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I agree. This was using a silent fan profile, and no CPU vent (which may not make any difference). KeyShot is also my most intensive workload. I will test a little more and try a different fan profile, and CPU vent.

Oh good! You're happy - I thought the opposite might be true.

I got such great results with mine, but admittedly I didn't spend time doing benchmark apps, but rather just some large video and audio conversions and Final cut testing, as those are the things I actually do (and gaming). I prefer to test what I'm actually going to do with a build vs theoreticals.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
My manufacturer gave me one cluster punch option (hopefully they have more). It would be very open and mesh like. There is less than 1mm between the round holes, which may present some issues. I'm not a huge fan personally, but thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
My manufacturer gave me one cluster punch option (hopefully they have more). It would be very open and mesh like. There is less than 1mm between the round holes, which may present some issues. I'm not a huge fan personally, but thought I'd share.

I like it. Concerned that the sheet metal end up in a lumpy mess

Reactions: fabio

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017

Hmm I'm not a fan either but that's probably because I dislike silver as front mesh color. Would you mind providing us a black variant please?

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
Hmm I'm not a fan either but that's probably because I dislike silver as front mesh color. Would you mind providing us a black variant please?

I do like the silver mesh, but I would keep in mind that the really open mesh will be more flexible/easy to dent and let you really see the intake fans, so not much different to having no mesh at all. The current mesh design offers very little resistance to air flow anyway so I don't think there is a performance or acoustic advantage to the more open mesh.

Reactions: Lone

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I do like the silver mesh, but I would keep in mind that the really open mesh will be more flexible/easy to dent and let you really see the intake fans, so not much different to having no mesh at all. The current mesh design offers very little resistance to air flow anyway so I don't think there is a performance or acoustic advantage to the more open mesh.
Yea, I don't know why but in silver it kinda reminds me of cheap OEM power supply units ?
To each their own, I guess!

Anyhow I agree that the current/original mesh is a lot better.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Any word on potential availability of a low profile GTX 1650?
not yet. there were a few leaks/articles about ASUS having model numbers for both low profile GTX 1650 and GTX 1650ti, but of course a 1650ti hasn't been announced and I've yet to even see a photo or render of a LP 1650. Just the ASUS model numbers.